Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:35 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Many, many local and well respected colleges will need to be closed, with the buildings and land repurposed.
Sad, unfortunate but there just not enough students or money to support them all.
YCMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 10:43 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,444,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exactly right.

What I can't understand is, I cannot find one "conservative" member of Congress, nor TV personality, including on Fox News Channel, who will discuss the unconstitutional direct federal tax being imposed on working people's paychecks.

Additionally, nor will they discuss the unconstitutional act of making Federal Reserve Notes a legal tender which our founders intentionally forbid!

Of course, the most convenient tools of a dishonest government and their accomplices are a corruptible money supply and a corruptible taxing system ___ both of which our Founders provided protection against in our Constitution ___ a Constitution which our so-called conservative leaders refuse to support and defend.

JWK

Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
No! Those going to college need to do research and the math (basic high school math should be enough to figure this out) and figure out if the degree they are choosing can get them a job and what it might pay. Seriously, if they cannot get a degree in something that pays enough to pay off a student loan, they need to rethink the math and whether college makes sense for them. The government should not be involved at all.

If you aren't smart enough to figure out if your career path will pay off your student loans and that jobs will be available in the field, forget college, and party elsewhere!

Old 05-02-2022, 11:02 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is what I think we should do. Make college free, but toughen up the standards for getting into college. I would be in favor of a standard GPA floor for all universities. If your GPA is below 3.0, no admission into college, period. Any university can make it harder to get in after that. And you only get into university if you were on a college-prep track. Make getting into university more competitive. I would also get rid of certain majors. That should cut down on the cost.

Also, make the public schools themselves more competitive. I'm not talking about South Korea level competitive. I am saying make it to where public schools literally need to be tasked with preparing every student for the real world. Increase the standards for everyone. I don't think you should be a rich kid just to attend university. You need to be capable and academically inclined to be in university. Raise the standards for all public schools and raise the standards for all universities. University shouldn't be expensive. It should be competitive.
This sounds good...the public University of California System (9 undergrad locations) sounds like this with a 3.0 minimum GPA although most campuses now have a 4.0 plus average student GPA and are getting harder every year, except for the temporary scrapping of ACT/SAT entrance exams, which should be brought back.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:03 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I would ask -what is their plan for those degrees? Specific jobs, companies, leads on those jobs, average salary, etc. They should know all about that, interning, making connections and maybe even have a job lined up upon graduation, with a full budget plan for living including student loan repayment.
The 'best' job I have seen any of these college graduates get is the case of one specific friend, Eileen. Her four-year degree was in History, then after a few years of minimum-wage jobs Eileen returned to college. She loves the on-campus lifestyle so she returned to college as a grad student and managed to get a masters in Permaculture design. Today Eileen works fulltime for the Democratic party.

It would never enter their minds to consider future jobs or wages as rational in choosing a college major. A far more common consideration is whether gender studies classes will allow them enough time to party on-campus.

When I have brought up the subject, they look at me like I am a crazy nutjob right-wing Trump follower.

In their minds, college is not about careers or jobs or future wages. It is all about the experience and nightly parties.

Where I live there is a growing sub-culture of people who live deep in the woods, in off-grid cabins or abandoned school buses. They tend large veggie gardens and they sell veggies at road-side Farmer's Markets. As their sole source of income. It is possible to support yourself and maybe raise some children in that lifestyle. But they will never have enough money to pay an electric bill.

I have been a vendor in Farmer's Markets where I rub elbows with a lot of these people.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:08 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No! Those going to college need to do research and the math (basic high school math should be enough to figure this out) and figure out if the degree they are choosing can get them a job and what it might pay. Seriously, if they cannot get a degree in something that pays enough to pay off a student loan, they need to rethink the math and whether college makes sense for them. The government should not be involved at all.
I agree with you.

Sadly these kids were never taught to think in those terms.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:19 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
No.... but I would support college and universities refunding college tuition when they offering degrees in subjects that are just plain unusable. fail to educate students in getting an education that can readily used in society. Nigeria basket weaving is not usable in the real world.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:35 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree with you.

Sadly these kids were never taught to think in those terms.
Those that choose vo-tech were obviously taught in those terms though. They are looking at a future job right out the door!

Everyone in our family paid off student loans, and took whatever jobs they had to in order to meet their obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
No.... but I would support college and universities refunding college tuition when they offering degrees in subjects that are just plain unusable. fail to educate students in getting an education that can readily used in society. Nigeria basket weaving is not usable in the real world.
So, with the public colleges/universities, the mistake the student made in choosing a worthless field in the first place would fall on the taxpayer. Nope, I can't go for that.

I support everyone working for what they get unless they are so disabled that it is not possible, and not disabled because boo-hoo, they can't get a job in their field. I could agree on only funding a college/university with public dollars when they only offer degrees in fields that need employees though.

I mean, look at the vo-techs. They meet the areas needs by offering classes in what jobs are in demand.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is what I think we should do. Make college free, but toughen up the standards for getting into college. I would be in favor of a standard GPA floor for all universities. If your GPA is below 3.0, no admission into college, period. Any university can make it harder to get in after that. And you only get into university if you were on a college-prep track. Make getting into university more competitive. I would also get rid of certain majors. That should cut down on the cost.

Also, make the public schools themselves more competitive. I'm not talking about South Korea level competitive. I am saying make it to where public schools literally need to be tasked with preparing every student for the real world. Increase the standards for everyone. I don't think you should be a rich kid just to attend university. You need to be capable and academically inclined to be in university. Raise the standards for all public schools and raise the standards for all universities. University shouldn't be expensive. It should be competitive.

To expand on this idea, get rid of meaningless degrees. Here's a list of some of them:

• Advertising
  • Anthropology And Archeology
  • Fashion Design
  • Tourism And Hospitality
  • Communications
  • Education
  • Criminal Justice
  • Creative Writing
  • Theater Arts
  • Computer Science
  • Ethnic and civilization studies
  • Intercultural and international studies
  • Fine arts
  • Film video and photographic arts
  • Communication technologies

Or make students pay for these, but offer the essential ones tuition-free.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:47 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
And then a system where careers connected to those degrees have an amount withheld from paycheck like a W4 based on reimbursing the Govt for the income subsidies you got in college?

Very similar in essence to the student loan and then the student loan repayments but the difference is this new system would remove the treatment of the borrowing and repayment as counting as a “debt”.

Instead it’s this simple …. You get your degree you receive money , it’s not a debt liability. If/when you pursue a career using that degree then you incur a tax that acts like income-based repayment. If you insist on not having that tax you will be allowed to pay a quoted amount but it won’t be treated as a debt obligation.

Also, to align college professors to have an incentive that their students obtain careers in what their training is in, some portion of faculty pay will be withheld until their students begin employment in the degree areas they were taught in. This way universities will have financial incentive to care that their students not take up training and then not use their degrees

I think a system like this will ease anxiety on new entrants into the workforce knowing their student loan is no longer a debt but that salaries will all reflect the offset of the income they got from university state subsidy. If they lose their jobs they won’t have to file for a forebearance as the repayment system will be tied to salary
No

How about we stop giving away money we don't have and fueling inflation even more than it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies