Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I dunno-

I was a lower income kid and could not have gone to college without federal student loans. Now I am a physician at the end of my career.

IF loans are to be granted, they should be given if the the major is one that is going to secure a good job that allows repayment of the loan. If you are majoring in dance............................. not so much.
I have friends who are doctors and lawyers with debt. They liked the Democrat’s idea of student loan assistance. The other day Biden said people with professional degrees won’t be eligible. I tried to warn them that any student loan forgiveness that comes from the Democrats will only help the most irresponsible people who majored in basket weaving and spent all their loan money on spring break.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 07:09 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Trade school is not free. Typical is 28K a year tho it is 1 or 2 years. Yes I know some states offer trades in county colleges. Many dont.

To get apprenticeships, you need to know the right people. PS, many of these are run by.... gasp. UNIONS!

Technically true but means the birth rate goes down 80%.

The US needs to RADICALLY rethink post secondary education. Forget all the platitudes about "finding ones self." The vast majority of people in college have a single purpose that is to increase their value to future employers.

The most needed 4 year degrees should be available at the County college level.

Too many states the county colleges do not offer trades and they should.

At ~2.5 years in on your way through to your bachelors, you should receive an associates degree of that discipline just like a bachelors is a stop on the way to masters. This helps to act as a back stop for people who have life events screwing things up.

Actually they start out at much less than that.

And still cheaper than going to college in most cases.

Getting an apprenticeship isn't that difficult either, in most cases it's just making the most out of an entry level position.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:42 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Actually they start out at much less than that.

And still cheaper than going to college in most cases.

Getting an apprenticeship isn't that difficult either, in most cases it's just making the most out of an entry level position.
Uh its not cheap anywhere around me. Im working through this RIGHT NOW. 14K for a boot camp style and 28K at three tech colleges. (The exact same!) The county colleges in North NJ don't offer most trades.

Its a chicken and egg situation right now for electrician. They want 6 months experience to even look so you can drill holes and bend conduit all day. It takes an hour to a day to learn either of these things well. My son has already done switches and outlets for two houses for our church charity in addition to redoing the a half dozen outlets in the place we rent.

If you want into the union apprenticeship, you had better be best friends with someone in it. We dont know any members. Kind of works out for my son. He wants to leave NJ to live in flyover country in an exurban county within easy highway distance of a city.

My son decided on the book camp school. (90% hands on including day 1) The guy running it started by going into the classroom of the graduating class and asking, "Who has a job lined up?" They all did. Big plus for this school was the 30 hour OSHA safety card is part of it.

Didn't help reading the reviews of the more expensive tech school we toured which has many more students. The Lincoln Tech reviews were BRUTAL.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:28 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
1) Make student loans immediately subject to bankruptcy. Anyone that has a student loan can declare bankruptcy and discharge the debt.
Yes, they should be. Exempting student loans was a solution to a non-existent problem made under the idea that it could enrichen banks.

Quote:
Without government involvement, the cost to attend college would be halved or better.
Yes and no.
without government involvement, costs would skyrocket.
There's a reason BU costs $61,000 a year and UMass costs $16,000 a year. Government involvement. Take out government, and all school is going to cost at least $50,000 a year.

BUT there is a lot of red tape the dept of Ed adds that adds to the cost. Probably a couple thousand per student that could be removed is we got rid of all oversite.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:38 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
without government involvement, costs would skyrocket.
How? In any other market or industry, for any other product under the Sun, what happens when any supplier that competes with other suppliers for revenue/market share that is NOT guaranteed by the ruling government raises their prices to a point that a) greatly exceeds what their competitors charge for the same/similar product and b) lowers initial demand just upon first glance?

The cost to attend college has gone insane over the last 40 years specifically because government told the entire university system that they can charge anything they want, raise prices as much as they want, etc and the government will make sure they get paid. The currency sovereign told the guild that no matter what price they set, the money will get printed and they will receive revenue in perpetuity.

Take that guarantee away, and prices do what they do in all free markets that allow competition - they will move to what the market will bear.

When people have to either save the money for college or use a traditional bank and traditional lending rules to secure the funds for college, and that is exactly all of the ways that college gets paid for, with no government force, guarantees, etc involved, prices will indeed plummet.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:07 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
If a person starts by enlisting, then they can complete some college coursework while on Active Duty, and later they will have the GI bill so they would not need a student loan.

Besides while serving and practicing a trade, they might find that they can stick with a military career and get a 20-year pension.

I did.

I enlisted and served for 6-years, then I got out and I used my GI bill benefit to attend college. After 4-years of college, I re-enlisted, served another 14 years and I was put onto pension when I was 42yo.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:23 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Trade school is not free. Typical is 28K a year tho it is 1 or 2 years. Yes I know some states offer trades in county colleges. Many dont.

To get apprenticeships, you need to know the right people. PS, many of these are run by.... gasp. UNIONS!
Apprenticeships I am familiar with are free and they pay the apprentice a wage as they are working/learning.

My father was a Union business agent for the IBEW. The IBEW offers Apprenticeships.

I currently own a commercial building and I have had a lot of work done on my fire suppression system by pipe-fitters. They have told me that their employer [a multinational corporation, that if I published their name you would immediately recognize, anyone may PM me for the details]. They offer Apprenticeships to train people to become certified pipe-fitters, free and they pay wages as you go.

Also there is the Job Corp https://www.jobcorps.gov/

Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Uh its not cheap anywhere around me. Im working through this RIGHT NOW. 14K for a boot camp style and 28K at three tech colleges. (The exact same!) The county colleges in North NJ don't offer most trades.

Its a chicken and egg situation right now for electrician. They want 6 months experience to even look so you can drill holes and bend conduit all day. It takes an hour to a day to learn either of these things well. My son has already done switches and outlets for two houses for our church charity in addition to redoing the a half dozen outlets in the place we rent.

If you want into the union apprenticeship, you had better be best friends with someone in it. We dont know any members. Kind of works out for my son. He wants to leave NJ to live in flyover country in an exurban county within easy highway distance of a city.

My son decided on the book camp school. (90% hands on including day 1) The guy running it started by going into the classroom of the graduating class and asking, "Who has a job lined up?" They all did. Big plus for this school was the 30 hour OSHA safety card is part of it.

Didn't help reading the reviews of the more expensive tech school we toured which has many more students. The Lincoln Tech reviews were BRUTAL.
the trades is a great place to understand that only 10% of the US Workforce is unionized.

in the South, any person can get $20/hr plus to work for a trade company and learn it, and then their pay increases. All they have to do is actually show up to work sober and on-time. Electrician can get coursework done in a year, work 4,000 hours and get licensed. With 3 years experience (even if not licensed yet) can make $70K+ (above median county income)

Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The cost to attend college has gone insane over the last 40 years specifically because government told the entire university system that they can charge anything they want, raise prices as much as they want, etc and the government will make sure they get paid. The currency sovereign told the guild that no matter what price they set, the money will get printed and they will receive revenue in perpetuity.
what has happened over the last 40 years is governments have slashed funding for higher education, passing the costs to consumers.
In FY1979, 70% of the general fund revenue for Michigan public universities were from state funding
In FY2000, 48% was
in FY 2015, 23% was.

In FY2000, tuition made up 44.6% of the general fund revenue for Michigan public universities.
In FY2015, consumers paid 71.3% of the costs.

https://www.house.mi.gov/hfa/PDF/Hig...atingCosts.pdf

Depending on how you measure inflation, between 60% to 80% of the increase in tuition between 1980 and 2020 is directly attributed to lack of government funding. Between 20% and 40% of increase in costs is due to dept of Ed requirement, real estate, program expansion, etc.

And no, governments did not tell the entire university system that they can charge anything they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Michigan House of Representatives House Fiscal Agency
Additionally, the Higher Education budget has included a tuition restraint policy for each of the last three years. (Prior to this, the last firm tuition restraint policy included in the budget was for FY 2004-05.)

Old 05-02-2022, 09:42 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If a person starts by enlisting, then they can complete some college coursework while on Active Duty, and later they will have the GI bill so they would not need a student loan.

Besides while serving and practicing a trade, they might find that they can stick with a military career and get a 20-year pension.

I did.

I enlisted and served for 6-years, then I got out and I used my GI bill benefit to attend college. After 4-years of college, I re-enlisted, served another 14 years and I was put onto pension when I was 42yo.
Saw a story the other day in the military forum saying the Navy was giving a 25K sign on bonus to recruits that could ship out within a month. Why? 75% of young adults do not qualify for military service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies