Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Yeah, nearly-legal-homicide..............run some poor person over, or own a pack of snarling Rottweilers
and Pitbulls and "accidently" unleash them on your target.

You most likely will get a slap-on-the-wrist as punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 07:08 AM

1,866 posts, read 842,234 times
you could make the argument that roadways was mainly design for automobiles and not bicycles, you could make the argument that interstates was design for commercial trucking and military convoys. s using that and that bicycles are prohibited from interstates highways and that cars are prohibited from sidewalks, one could argue that a automobile had no where else to be but the roadways, so one could say a bicycle had the right of way but it still doesnt make it practical when a bicycle doing 10 mph on a crowded roadway purposely design for automobiles and commercial trucking.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
There are not enough cyclists to justify special lanes for them anyway.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:28 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why does it seem that whenever a pedestrian or cyclist is killed by a driver who wasn't paying attention, the driver ends up with a minor traffic ticket with no jail time?

A driver can run a red light, hit a pedestrian or cyclist and seriously injure or kill that person, and the driver ends up with some BS traffic infraction like "failure to follow signals" or "failure to yield to a pedestrian".

Meanwhile, if I'm cleaning my gun and accidentally fire a round into my window and it hits and kills my next door neighbor, I'm going to jail that day for manslaughter.

It seems like in the US, society has basically accepted the fact that motor vehicle deaths are a normal thing and shouldn't be taken seriously. Even drunk drivers who kill someone are given far less prison time than someone who accidentally fires a gun and kills someone.
Using your smartphone while driving, regardless of talking or texting should get you a trip to jail, unless it's a hands-free bluetooth device. I'd love to see the stats on comparing drinking and driving accidents and distracted driving accidents because of phone use.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:34 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
If you want to kill someone legally pour a bunch of flouride in their cup of water. If you’re caught say it was for their teeth. They won’t be able to prosecute because it’ll expose flouride in the water is a poison.
Not sure if you're familiar with the British series Blackadder or not but you're supposed to preface that statement with, "I have a cunning plan".

Baldrick was the originator of the cunning plans, one of my favorites of his was to let the guards behead them and then make a break for it because the guards would be caught by surprise.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Using your smartphone while driving, regardless of talking or texting should get you a trip to jail, unless it's a hands-free bluetooth device. I'd love to see the stats on comparing drinking and driving accidents and distracted driving accidents because of phone use.
This should not even be a problem today!! I blame the cell phone companies, for refusing to acknowledge and come up with solutions to this problem.

People are going to text and drive, or use their phones while driving...thats NOT going to stop...why not come up with technology that resolves this problem instead? Even old phones have 'speech to text' functions, perhaps start there and create something new?

Or just admit that the overall benefits of cell phones outweigh the negatives? Look at it this way, motorized vehicles have led to millions being killed or injured, but we dont ban cars, the positives outweigh the human toll.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:49 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This should not even be a problem today!! I blame the cell phone companies, for refusing to acknowledge and come up with solutions to this problem.

People are going to text and drive, or use their phones while driving...thats NOT going to stop...why not come up with technology that resolves this problem instead? Even old phones have 'speech to text' functions, perhaps start there and create something new?
People are addicted to their phones. I agree, it's not going to stop, just as drinking and driving hasn't stopped. If you kill someone while drinking and driving you are going to jail. If you do the same while texting you are not. The end result from both is that you killed someone. Dead is dead regardless of how you decide to be careless. No, it's not the phone manufacturers fault, it's your fault if you cause an accident. Take some personal responsibility for God's sake.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:02 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default easy, vote for Biden

If you want to kill someone legally vote for Biden, harris, Schiff, schumer AOC to maintain the flow of fentanyl, welcome matt for terrorists from all over the world and of course proliferation of gangs and gang violence and the daily slaughter in our big cities.

Perhaps you did not have in mind to kill that many people legally. Oops!

Old 05-03-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
People are addicted to their phones. I agree, it's not going to stop, just as drinking and driving hasn't stopped. If you kill someone while drinking and driving you are going to jail. If you do the same while texting you are not. The end result from both is that you killed someone. Dead is dead regardless of how you decide to be careless. No, it's not the phone manufacturers fault, it's your fault if you cause an accident. Take some personal responsibility for God's sake.
People go to jail over alcohol related car accidents because ALCOHOL is involved, even though its 100% legal, there is still a 'negative stigma' associated with it in general, when alcohol is involved in a death, its a morality type issue, not so much with cell phones though.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:41 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
With each passing year, more and more people drive their cars and trucks like aggressive, brain-dead monkeys. They do this partially because they are brain-dead and partially because they know there is a very good chance that if they cause a crash, there will be no personal consequence to them (assuming they are not injured or killed). They know that their insurance will cover any liability and get them a new car in the process.

This needs to stop. Anyone found at fault in causing a car crash needs to be held personally liable for all damages, injuries, auto repair/replacement, the cost of emergency vehicle response, and the lost wages for any uninvolved motorist who has to sit on the freeway for an hour waiting for the mess to be cleaned up. AND they need to be charged punitive damages, as well.

That would stop most of the stupidity on the roads. If you knew your life would be ruined if you caused a crash, you might just drive like a sane person rather than an aggressive, brain-dead monkey.

And as for bicyclists... OMG, where to start. I know this is going to ruffle a lot of feathers. It always does when I say it. First let me say that I have ridden bikes over the years a lot--mostly XC mountain biking, but some road biking as well. For some reason, bicycling tends to attract a high number of the most arrogant, inconsiderate, condescending people (and it is mostly road biking folks). I run nearly every day. So I interact with cyclists on the trails (both on paved and single-track hiking trails) nearly every day. On the paved trails, I can expect a jerk on a road bike (at least once or twice a week) to come flying past me from behind at a speed way over the trail limit, not say a word or ring a bell or anything like that, and make it some sort of game to see how close he or she can get to me without hitting me. Usually only inches.

I don't know how many f-bombs I've uttered because of that... and I really hate using that word. Now, if you are one of that kind of bicyclist, tell me, what is the deal? There is a ten-foot wide trail. Why can't you get your stupid self over to the other side when you are passing? Nobody over there, Chuck. So why? And why can't you have decency enough to either slow down considerably or yell out/ring a bell? Is it so very hard? But no. You want to be jackass, don't you?

Note, I'm not saying all cyclists are like this. Obviously they are not. But there does seem to be a high percentage of these donkeys in the road cycling community for some reason (much less extent in the MTB community). Totally aggressive and an overactive sense of entitlement. They also tend to be those who feel everyone should follow the traffic laws... besides themselves. I don't know how many times I've seen road bikers blow through stop signs (full speed) at busy intersections. Waaaayyyy too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies