Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a nationwide abortion ban?
Yes, I support a nationwide six week abortion ban 17 12.98%
No, I support states passing their own abortion laws 100 76.34%
I support a nationwide abortion ban but longer than six weeks 14 10.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 08:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times

Advertisements

A lot of people mention the life of the mother but I think a much greater number of abortions are performed due to genetic defects found like Down Syndrome. These often are people that very much want to have a baby but due to this defect they choose to abort so as not to have a child with severe physical and mental health issues. This isnt going to come up prior to 6 weeks. Has anyone discussed that?

Old 05-05-2022, 09:01 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Roe vs Wade was unconstitutional from the get go..................

Justices finally come to their senses. refer it back to the States.

Now the citizenry of this country should come to their senses as well.

Let the voters in their own States decide........................
Why was it unconstitutional- because women should not have rights ? That’s been the republicans theme all along. Many women are happy when hubby makes them a comfortable life - so the heck with everyone else. It’s the same reps dance, me, myself and I attitude. I remember when women were not allowed to preach or have credit and so forth. We are not regressing.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
This is very different. Of course there are times when a pregnancy has to be aborted, to save the life of the mother. The problem I have is with a mother having an abortion at 20 weeks, just because she no longer wants to be a mother.
Good news, there are very few abortions that happen at 20 weeks or more.

[quote]The majority of abortions in 2019 took place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation./QUOTE]https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/abortion.htm

Generally late term abortions aren't done because the woman just changed her mind. Even at the 14-20 week range is has more to do with needing to raise the funds preventing them from getting an earlier abortion. Domestic partner abuse, and drug use are also some of the reasons given for abortions at 14-20 weeks.

Women aren't just suddenly changing their minds at 20 weeks for funsies.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
[quote=jjrose;63381719]Good news, there are very few abortions that happen at 20 weeks or more.

Quote:
The majority of abortions in 2019 took place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation./QUOTE]https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/abortion.htm

Generally late term abortions aren't done because the woman just changed her mind. Even at the 14-20 week range is has more to do with needing to raise the funds preventing them from getting an earlier abortion. Domestic partner abuse, and drug use are also some of the reasons given for abortions at 14-20 weeks.

There are 12,000 to 13,000 babies killed after 20 weeks.

Is that a low number to you? Is that GOOD NEWS!!!! 13,000 babies were KILLED!!!

REJOICE!!!!

Old 05-05-2022, 09:29 AM

[quote=jjrose;63381719]Good news, there are very few abortions that happen at 20 weeks or more.

Quote:
The majority of abortions in 2019 took place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation./QUOTE]https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/abortion.htm

Yes. Some do.

Do some flipping research instead of posting opinions that have ZERO support.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:55 AM

[quote=newtovenice;63381759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Good news, there are very few abortions that happen at 20 weeks or more.

Yes. Some do.

Do some flipping research instead of posting opinions that have ZERO support.
I have done the research. Changing their mind just for funsies wasn't even a blip. The majority were because of needing time to collect the funds, or finding out that they were pregnant at a later gestation age, or because of disagreements over abortion with the father "I just suddenly realized that is don't want to be pregnant" isn't even mentioned in any of the studies.

Quote:
The Turnaway study (described above) found that women in both the later abortion group and the first trimester group experienced delays in seeking or receiving an abortion: "Indeed, 94% of the later abortion patients and 80% of first trimester patients reported that something slowed them down."22 In both groups, roughly the same proportion stated that not realizing they were pregnant delayed them in seeking an abortion: "However, women seeking later abortions were generally much farther along when they discovered their pregnancy than were women seeking first trimester abortions: 12 weeks, on average, compared with just five weeks."23

For women seeking later abortion, 38% reported having trouble locating an abortion facility, because later procedures are less commonly available, compared with 18% of those who had a first trimester abortion. Some facilities refuse to perform an abortion on women with certain physical conditions, such as obesity.24 Travel considerations were also a problem. Women seeking later abortions were more than twice as likely as first trimester patients to report that difficulty getting to the abortion facility caused a delay (27% versus 12%).25

According to the study authors, "[a]lmost two-thirds of the women seeking later abortion and fewer than one-third of those seeking a first trimester abortion said they were delayed because they were raising money for travel, the procedure, and other costs."26 In addition, "women seeking later abortions were twice as likely as women seeking first trimester abortions to report delays because of difficulties securing public or private insurance coverage for the abortion (41% vs. 20%)."27 Other factors delayed women who were seeking abortion services: 37% of women in the study (40% later, 33% first trimester) reported that the process of deciding whether to have an abortion delayed them, and 18% of women in the study (20% later, 16% first trimester) said that disagreement over the abortion decision with the man involved in the pregnancy delayed them.28
https://www.everycrsreport.com/repor...#_Toc513031671

Maybe you should do some flipping research before criticizing someone elses posts.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
A lot of people mention the life of the mother but I think a much greater number of abortions are performed due to genetic defects found like Down Syndrome. These often are people that very much want to have a baby but due to this defect they choose to abort so as not to have a child with severe physical and mental health issues. This isnt going to come up prior to 6 weeks. Has anyone discussed that?
Anyone find good numbers for the number of abortions carried out due to genetic abnormalities with the baby? I just tried quickly and didnt come up with anything great. I think that this represents a much greater number than situations where the mother's health is in jeopardy or abortions in situations of rape or incest but those seem to be much more discussed.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 AM

[quote=jjrose;63381931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I have done the research. Changing their mind just for funsies wasn't even a blip. The majority were because of needing time to collect the funds, or finding out that they were pregnant at a later gestation age, or because of disagreements over abortion with the father "I just suddenly realized that is don't want to be pregnant" isn't even mentioned in any of the studies.

https://www.everycrsreport.com/repor...#_Toc513031671

Maybe you should do some flipping research before criticizing someone elses posts.
You stated women are NOT changing their minds just for funsies.

You just confirmed that THEY DO. All of those reasons suggest that. That they planned for the baby and then, oh, um, no, not for me. Please kill my baby.

Because they had a fight with the father? If I have a fight with my husband I don't decide to go kill our kid.

Idiotic.

Thanks for providing that.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

You stated women are NOT changing their minds just for funsies.

You just confirmed that THEY DO. All of those reasons suggest that. That they planned for the baby and then, oh, um, no, not for me. Please kill my baby.

Because they had a fight with the father? If I have a fight with my husband I don't decide to go kill our kid.

Idiotic.

Thanks for providing that.
Having to save up money for an abortion is not changing you mind just for funsies.
Having to arrange travel, time off of work, child care is not changing you mind just for funsies.
Being a victim of domestic violence is not changing your mind just for funsies.

Two of the three had already planned on having an abortion, just needed to get the necessary funding, travel, etc.

Domestic violence can mean losing housing, financial security, mental and physical damage, fear for your life.

And i find it really sad that you consider domestic abuse to be the same as getting in a fight. Maybe you should do some research on domestic abuse before commenting on the topic.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Anyone find good numbers for the number of abortions carried out due to genetic abnormalities with the baby? I just tried quickly and didnt come up with anything great. I think that this represents a much greater number than situations where the mother's health is in jeopardy or abortions in situations of rape or incest but those seem to be much more discussed.
I skimmed an article to a study in the US on DS and pregnancy termination. The numbers were modeled as the authors said the US does not keep records on fetal anomalies as the UK does so there was no way to get actual data. They did state that many women rely on the screening that can be done at 10 week and do not wait to get conformation between 15 to 21 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies