Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a nationwide abortion ban?
Yes, I support a nationwide six week abortion ban 17 12.98%
No, I support states passing their own abortion laws 100 76.34%
I support a nationwide abortion ban but longer than six weeks 14 10.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 06:31 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times

Advertisements

Just like the Civil War..it should be states rights

Old 05-03-2022, 06:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Someone on TV stated this morning that "it was a mistake from the beginning".

Well stated.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM

984 posts, read 442,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No, I do not support a six-week abortion ban, period.

I support women making their own choices up through the 22nd week of pregnancy, and I support abortions after that period if the mother's life is in danger or if the fetus is dead or would be born dead, or if there is a more than 50% chance that the child, if born, would require 24/7 care for his/her entire life.
Agreed. I had a friend who had a life-threatening amniotic infection at 21 weeks with a wanted and planned pregnancy. After trying various things, the choice was to induce delivery (which, for all intents and purposes, was an abortion because a baby cannot survive at 21 weeks, or couldn't 25 years ago, anyway) or risk going septic and dying (and the fetus would die anyway). They opted for the first choice, and she ended up needing a hysterectomy anyway to save her life, so they were never able to have biological children. They did adopt three later on.

I guess the conservatives would have preferred that she die. Interesting thing is that she is pretty conservative but at least in recent elections, always votes for the democrats based on the issue of women's rights in healthcare.

But here's something even more interesting. I know someone else who had a similar issue, only it was at maybe 24(?) weeks. They also opted for induction, and the baby lived a few days before dying, sadly. She now is a rabid anti-choicer. It was okay for her to make a decision with her doctor to preserve her life and fertility even though it meant that her baby would likely die, but it's not okay for other women to do the same thing.

Rick Santorum and his wife had some type of similar situation, too. We all know how he feels about the right of a woman to decide with her doctor on her own healthcare... unless it's his wife. Then it's fine.

Women of means will always, always, always have the choice. I live in Florida, but if I needed abortion services (extraordinarily unlikely, given my age and proximity to menopause) or if my daughter did, I/she would simply fly to a more progressive state and do what needed to be done. Or to Canada, Mexico, whatever. The wives and mistresses of these republican politicians will also always have that choice, and they will undoubtedly avail themselves of it. This is only hurting poor women, and they know it.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:02 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
More than a handful of states have a law in place that will make abortion illegal the minute the Supremes say it is up to the states.

I am 100% in favor of self control. IMO, the abortion option for some is way too easy.

I know that no birth control is 100% effective. I also know that the day abortion is made illegal, most of the same anti abortion zealots will be going after BC. Many already have.

Being pro choice does not make one pro abortion.

But in the long haul it is not the business of government what we do with our bodies. Just ask the anti masks anti vaccine crowd.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 AM

30,157 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Interestingly, in Texas they have found women are forced to have abortions sooner without considering it because of the short window. This may result in there being more abortions than would have happened if they had more time.

The Most Unexpected Consequence of the Texas Abortion Ban
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...decisions.html

I am pro choice but what about birth control? No woman is "forced" to have an abortion sooner. That is only one option. When I was young and single I always made sure birth control was used. My worry was not abortion but the opposite. Paying child support for 18 years.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Up to the states to decide
No, we need a decision at the federal level to settle this once and for all.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:16 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
The hypocrisy is outstanding.

Folks want RvW overturned over the fact abortion is not in the constitution and therefore under state not federal jurisdiction.

Now that RvW, which permits abortions, may be overturned they want a federal law that forbids them.

Can’t have it both ways.

If you want such a law then go to 50 state legislatures or get a Constitutional Amendment.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:18 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Your poll, not surprisingly, is flawed. There is no choice for supporting a woman's right to choose.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:22 AM

6,019 posts, read 2,843,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The hypocrisy is outstanding.

Folks want RvW overturned over the fact abortion is not in the constitution and therefore under state not federal jurisdiction.

Now that RvW, which permits abortions, may be overturned they want a federal law that forbids them.

Can’t have it both ways.

If you want such a law then go to 50 state legislatures or get a Constitutional Amendment.
The vast majority of people in the poll voted for State's rights... I am not sure what you are talking about.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:24 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I think the law should be consistent in every state. States do not have any greater right to infringe on individual rights as the federal government. It is silly to have different laws in different states. We should be ok with murder in one place and not another simply based on geographics.
Montana, Arkansas and New Jersey are drastically different places with drastically different wants and needs. Why should the needs of New Jersey dictate the laws of Montana or Arkansas?

To answer the OP I do not support national bans or other national laws dictating the legality of abortion in either direction. No national ban, no national requirement to allow, either generally or up to an arbitrary point in the pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies