Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 06:10 PM

9,428 posts, read 4,280,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Which of those categories do you consider racist? Do you know what "racist" means?
I apologize in advance if you're being sarcastic, but if not, let me help.
First, the definition of racist (credit Merriam-Webster):
: of, relating to, or characterized by the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another
Now, lets look at the categories of folks Staples is actively promoting over other demographics. Take "Women Owned", for example. To promote women owned businesses over businesses owned by men is systemic economic oppression of men to the advantage of women. Likewise, promotion of minority owned businesses over businesses owned by whites is systemic economic oppression of whites. You should be seeing a pattern at this point.
I suspect you're confused because you've been led to believe the woke definition of racism and sexism, which holds that it's impossible to be racist against whites or sexist against men, which is, of course, just some nonsense made up in some liberal echo chamber by a bunch of purple-haired dorks.

You do whatever you want - I'm taking the high road and boycotting Staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 06:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Does any of that make any difference regarding the quality of office supplies I will get at the store?

After all, that’s what actually matters, right?
Because some people would prefer to spend their $$$ supporting particular businesses that make products they need. Some people don’t like going to Chik-Filet because of the ownership’s position on gay individuals. Some people love going to Chik-Filet for the same reason. Seems like giving people more information about particular products (who made them, etc.) is only helping to empower the consumer.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:34 PM

19,149 posts, read 16,970,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
You guys really are naive if you believe this 'marketing' is to expend their customer base. If anything, it will shrink it. That's not why they're doing this.
I'm sure this is another communist plot to you but i'll leave that for you to expand at a later time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Clearly it is different, since the cause is not some general good, but rather to prop up certain groups of people at the expense of others.
And what's different from businesses advertising they support whatever faith? That's been around for decades. People want their dollars to matter this allows them to do it easier, posters on this boards scream all the time to boycott businesses for whatever reason (currently its Disney)as they post "speak with your dollars."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
It’s not the same. Organic, sustainable etc are not people groups. By trying to be inclusive, they are being exclusive.
In the argument everyone is making you are giving preference to specific suppliers/farmers because you are looking for these criteria as the above poster said "at the expense of others"

Old 05-02-2022, 08:08 PM

5,291 posts, read 5,216,211 times
And this is exactly the problem with the looney left dividing people into groups of color, sex, race. In their misguided way of inclusiveness, they are actually excluding. A rising tide lifts all boats. All people can be given equal opportunities, without promoting individual groups. You cant promote individual groups without suppressing others. Which is why the US is now divided more than ever. Im just waiting for different water fountains for different groups.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 PM

10,941 posts, read 5,914,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sure he's African. He was born and mostly raised in South Africa, which is in Africa. Just like someone in the southern US is still an American. Being African has nothing to do with race or color.
Actually, no. Being African has everything to do with race. African is a race group.

South Africa is not like the southern US. It's like Canada. South Africa is a sovereign country in the continent of Africa. Think Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Swaziland, Kenya, Congo, Zambia and so on. All sovereign countries in Africa and all of those countries are dominated by African people.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. And now back to topic.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:53 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Open file 'Boycotted Companies.' Add 'Staples.' Click save. Print document. Close file.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:12 PM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, no. Being African has everything to do with race. African is a race group.

South Africa is not like the southern US. It's like Canada. South Africa is a sovereign country in the continent of Africa. Think Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Swaziland, Kenya, Congo, Zambia and so on. All sovereign countries in Africa and all of those countries are dominated by African people.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. And now back to topic.
African relates to the continent of Africa, just like American relates to the country of America. It's about citizenship to that continent moreso than race.

I haven't lived in Africa a day in my life, but I am black. You telling me I am more African than Elon Musk? I don't think so. I'm an American.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:23 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
In theory, none of that should matter.
In theory, and practice, it doesn't matter at all. These are the current "ribbon" that people flaunt to show off their virtue. They will be gone at some point and we can all say "member when?"

Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 PM

8,307 posts, read 2,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If you're choosing one company over another because of the race of the owner, that can certainly be considered racist. In fact, it probably is.
So can those that marry within their own race. Which most do.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:33 PM

10,397 posts, read 3,984,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo….and I definitely won’t patronize those places. They’re no more special than anyone else. They just think they are.
Funny thing though, in my neck of the woods, it's believed that either Black women or gay men are the best bet for a good hair stylist. I don't know if this is true or not, but either way, I purposely searched for that criteria and for 15 years now I've been using the same stylist, who is a black gay man, for all my beauty needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies