Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 05:50 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
This guy in video quite well nails it. Most of us don't want to live in a puritanical hellscape by banning all abortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404lKddM65E
insufficient number of babies die = 'puritanical hellscape' in stillie's world.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Do you feel better now? Got a lot off your chest there. Not sure how it relates to the topic, but all is good if it made you feel better.
You beat me to it. I got lost in the maze of leftist bashing words of the previous post. Hopefully the poster found solace

Old 05-04-2022, 05:53 AM

29,439 posts, read 14,623,440 times
On the news this morning I saw Kamala Harris speaking. She was telling the crowd that this decision is an attack on women's rights. I laughed, since she seems to have forgotten about men competing in women's sports. And, all of a sudden the left knows what a woman is. Shouldn't Kamala have said that this is an attack on "birthing person's" rights ?

Old 05-04-2022, 06:00 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I’m a republican and a Trump voter.

It is so stupid and unnecessary for this to be happening at a time when we need moderates to get out there and vote republican.

If so many people were dead set on pushing this crap, they should have at least waited until after the election. The democrats and their media will successfully use this against us, “the republican war on women” or something like this.
so you think a conservative leaning person leaked this draft decision (if it is an actual draft decision)? to what end? IMO this only benefits democrats.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:05 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just saw a report on the news showing
all the protesters in DC. So many of these dolts are carrying signs "my body my choice" , how laughable seeing that is a thing now, it certainly wasn't concerning vaccinations.

Our country is getting more ignorant daily, we really are following the movie Idiocracy.
I got more of a kick out of the random 75-80 yr old women 'on the street' who were yammering about 'my body my choice.'

Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

The three justices said they took precedent seriously, and I believe them. But they all also understand that precedent itself isn't enough to uphold previous poor rulings. Obergefell overruled Baker; should the precedent in Baker have stood merely because it was precedent? Should Plessy have stood? The question isn't about comparing the substance of a precedent, that is irrelevant; it is about precedent itself and if that alone is a reason to keep a previous, flawed ruling.
This being the result indicates to me that they don't take precedent seriously. The Obergefell was a challenge to discriminating laws, denying a group the basic right to marry was obviously a denial of equal protection. Both Plessey and Baker were obviously wrong since they denied basic rights, maybe this court goes back now and overrules Obergfell.

Alito claimed that Roe V Wade was egregiously wrong, evidently he is criticizing all the justices before him that thought otherwise. Overruling precedent should not be take so lightly.

Sandra O'Connor writing for the majority in Casey, boy does this hold true

Quote:
OCTOBER TERM, 1991

Syllabus

PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA ET AL. v. CASEY, GOVERNOR OF PENNSYLVANIA, ET AL.

(i) Overruling Roe's central holding would not only reach an unjustifiable result under stare decisis principles, but would seriously weaken the Court's capacity to exercise the judicial power and to function as the Supreme Court of a Nation dedicated to the rule of law. Where the Court acts to resolve the sort of unique, intensely divisive controversy reflected in Roe, its decision has a dimension not present in normal cases and is entitled to rare precedential force to counter the inevitable efforts to overturn it and to thwart its implementation. Only the most convincing justification under accepted standards of precedent could suffice to demonstrate that a later decision overruling the first was anything but a surrender to political pressure and an unjustified repudiation of the principle on which the Court staked its authority in the first instance. Moreover, the country's loss of confidence in the Judiciary would be underscored by condemnation for the Court's failure to keep faith with those who support the decision at a cost to themselves. A decision to overrule Roe's essential holding under the existing circumstances would address error, if error there was, at the cost of both profound and unnecessary damage to the Court's legitimacy and to the Nation's commitment to the rule of law. Pp. 864-869.
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/505/833/

Old 05-04-2022, 06:12 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I got more of a kick out of the random 75-80 yr old women 'on the street' who were yammering about 'my body my choice.'
You may have gotten a chuckle out of that, but that is the age group who actually remembers the days before abortion became legal, as well as the days before the BC pill was available. They remember when women were actually oppressed.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:13 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
so you think a conservative leaning person leaked this draft decision (if it is an actual draft decision)? to what end? IMO this only benefits democrats.
It wouldn't matter. The opinion would have come out before the midterms either way. But I agree that the conservatives on the Court did not do Republicans any favors by rendering this opinion just before the midterms.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 AM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No way is it hyperbole. Quite far from it. So, tell, me AZLiam, do you simply don't realize that Oklahoma recently passed an anti-abortion law that any doctor who performs an abortion will be subject to 10 years in prison and a $100,000 fine? Only exception allowed if needed to save the life of mother. So, you tell me why wouldn't you and others on here who want abortion banned quite strongly support the very same punishment for women who use abortion inducing drugs to give themselves abortions?
You sure are spending an awful lot of time trying to discredit me, aren't you? No where in my posts did I mention anything about abortion. I never even stated whether I was for or against abortion. I simply wrote about my feelings of the Left and what I feel their true motivations are.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You may have gotten a chuckle out of that, but that is the age group who actually remembers the days before abortion became legal, as well as the days before the BC pill was available. They remember when women were actually oppressed.
And now their granddaughters are going to get equally oppressed. Grandmas everywhere are going to stop telling their granddaughters to have their own pin money and suggest they have money set aside to travel to another state if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies