Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 09:03 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,487,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I have heard of that website from people who are neither Right, nor Christian.

The Westboro "Baptist" Church, which was not recognized by any Baptist denomination, was about 20 people from 3 related families.

The founder, Fred Phelps, ran for elective office 5 times; each time as a Democrat in Democratic primaries. In 1992 he finished second with almost 50,000 Democrats voting for him, 30% of the ballots cast.
Well, seems that posters narrative had turned around to bite him in the butt.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:07 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I certainly don't, so please don't try to lie. But it's a matter of FACT that many people on the Christian Right quite deeply hate gay people. Haven't you heard of the website - godhatesfags?
And many people on the left just flat out hate people and themselves if there isn't something in it for themselves.

Must be exhausting for liberals. There's a point in life, though, at which you stop being outraged about everything. It’s not a good look and people don’t respect you.

I am gay, have worked for a Christian organization for almost 12 years, and have great respect and friendships with my coworkers. I would trust them any day over the radical leftists who think they have it all figured out, like to put people into boxes, use them to further their agendas, whilst chanting about tolerance. Hasn't anyone taught them that acceptance goes a step beyond tolerance? I would hardly label them as accepting, but I'll leave the labeling to them since that is the one thing they seem to excel in.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
If we don’t regain control of the house and senate this year, our country is finished.

Why risk it over some crusade over abortion? Is it really worth it?
I heard Michael Berry talking about the issue on the drive home last night. He said that if one takes a stand, to be prepared for the consequences. I didn't hear the whole segment, but what I did hear made a lot of sense. If you're pro-choice to the point of participating in protests, you have that right. If you're pro-life and choose to be vocal about it, you have that right. That where your voice is really heard, is in the voting booth.

He mentioned that a reversal of R. v W. could accomplish one set of goals while diminishing other goals in the bigger picture. It's not that either is better or worse than the other, it's that you need to be strong in your convictions, whatever they may be, consequences be damned.

For years, I avoided anything more than a peripheral view of abortions and could never fully agree with either side. I wasn't strong in my convictions because I wasn't sure how I felt about the issue, but believed there are circumstances where it's necessary. Then the pro-choice extremists took it too far & expected everyone to be a-ok with late-term abortions - with no reasons needed, and that I must go along with that in the form of federal tax dollars help to pay for them, no restrictions. Thank God I know I'm not okay with that in the least. Thank you, leftists, for helping me find my conviction.

Overturning R. v. W isn't an end to abortions, it's just putting it back in the laps of the states. I'll never be ok with an adult pregnant female, of "sound mind", waiting until the 8th month to decide this whole motherhood thing is a major inconvenience - - and YES, they are trying to make that as normal as sunshine in June.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:41 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
How kind of you to decide that the dead unborn are better off dead. This is liberal compassion.
Do you think growing up with a drug addicted hooker as a mom makes for a great childhood? Full of economic and educational advantages?

Old 05-04-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I heard Michael Berry talking about the issue on the drive home last night. He said that if one takes a stand, to be prepared for the consequences. I didn't hear the whole segment, but what I did hear made a lot of sense. If you're pro-choice to the point of participating in protests, you have that right. If you're pro-life and choose to be vocal about it, you have that right. That where your voice is really heard, is in the voting booth.

He mentioned that a reversal of R. v W. could accomplish one set of goals while diminishing other goals in the bigger picture. It's not that either is better or worse than the other, it's that you need to be strong in your convictions, whatever they may be, consequences be damned.

For years, I avoided anything more than a peripheral view of abortions and could never fully agree with either side. I wasn't strong in my convictions because I wasn't sure how I felt about the issue, but believed there are circumstances where it's necessary. Then the pro-choice extremists took it too far & expected everyone to be a-ok with late-term abortions - with no reasons needed, and that I must go along with that in the form of federal tax dollars help to pay for them, no restrictions. Thank God I know I'm not okay with that in the least. Thank you, leftists, for helping me find my conviction.

Overturning R. v. W isn't an end to abortions, it's just putting it back in the laps of the states. I'll never be ok with an adult pregnant female, of "sound mind", waiting until the 8th month to decide this whole motherhood thing is a major inconvenience - - and YES, they are trying to make that as normal as sunshine in June.
Women don’t change their mind at 8 months and abort a healthy baby. Late term abortions are highly regulated with very few doctors across the country doing the procedure. It is only done for severe medical reasons of either baby or mother. Healthy babies are not aborted at 8 and 9 months. The laws are to protect a woman who needs medical intervention late in her pregnancy access to medical help in a world that is trying to restrict access.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Do you think growing up with a drug addicted hooker as a mom makes for a great childhood? Full of economic and educational advantages?
I know some kids who have addicts as parents. It’s not great but they have value in their lives and don’t wish they were dead.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Women don’t change their mind at 8 months and abort a healthy baby. Late term abortions are highly regulated with very few doctors across the country doing the procedure. It is only done for severe medical reasons of either baby or mother. Healthy babies are not aborted at 8 and 9 months. The laws are to protect a woman who needs medical intervention late in her pregnancy access to medical help in a world that is trying to restrict access.
There are well defined and articulated arguments published & available all over the internet that dispute what you've said. Politicians and physicians have been quoted stating just the opposite of your belief. If you really want to know the truth of that, its easily found. Of course not all late term abortions will be simply out of a desire to terminate; most of them wont be - but that is exactly what the hard core pro-abortion crowd is demanding. They do not want anyone but the mother to determine or justify a late term abortion. To deny that is just being disingenuous. A quick search just pulled up more than a dozen articles that disagree with your stance. And no, they aren't all conservative rags. Easily found by anyone with a desire to know.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Are you speaking from memory or something?

Babies in the womb can taste what their mothers are eating and can even tell what is sweet, sour, etc. They can hear music, sounds and other people's voices outside of the womb. They can hear and feel their mothers voice, heartbeat and other internal noises. And much more. When they're born they already have some of the basics down for what they like and don't like. Babies in the womb are more aware of what's going on than you would like to believe a "lump of cells" or a "parasite" could be
Yes I’m aware at different stages of pregnancy these milestones occur. A developing fetus still don’t have a fully functioning mind to know or understand what it means to be alive. Let alone make a decision about it. Lump of cells or parasitic are words I don’t generally use. A pregnancy is potential life. When baby is born that’s when their personhood truly begins.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
There are well defined and articulated arguments published & available all over the internet that dispute what you've said. Politicians and physicians have been quoted stating just the opposite of your belief. If you really want to know the truth of that, its easily found. Of course not all late term abortions will be simply out of a desire to terminate; most of them wont be - but that is exactly what the hard core pro-abortion crowd is demanding. They do not want anyone but the mother to determine or justify a late term abortion. To deny that is just being disingenuous. A quick search just pulled up more than a dozen articles that disagree with your stance. And no, they aren't all conservative rags. Easily found by anyone with a desire to know.
Last I checked LTA were 1 percent of all abortions. A woman’s medical issues are between her and her doctor. Do you want to get in between a patient and her doctor to second guess the treatment. Lots of articles on the net I’ve read quite a few. I don’t believe for a minute you’d find a doctor willing to abort a healthy 8 month pregnancy on a whim.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:38 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Have any suspicions come out on who the leaker is?
It really could be any of the judicial clerks. Different motivations (in no particular order):

- liberal clerk thinking some public push-back will have an impact or at least water down the language of the final opinion.

- conservative clerk trying to exert pressure on one of the 5 Justices in the majority who may be waffling on their decision.

- conservative clerk who is ticked that Alito got to draft the opinion and go down in history instead of their Justice. Still not sure why Thomas didn't draft the majority opinion himself.

- Chief Justice Roberts clerk concerned with the legitimacy of the Court, hoping to give everyone a wake-up call.

- x factor: clerk from either side who wants to take down the secrecy of the institution. If so, I'm actually on board with this. More transparency, the better.

We'll probably not find out anytime soon if ever. These are some of the most ambitious lawyers in the country, and definitely know how to cover their tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies