Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 08:42 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
But does it spell out marriage?
No it doesn't so?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:43 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
There's no such thing as a low-end law clerk or intern at the Supreme Court. These are all well-connected, brilliant lawyers with bright futures ahead of them, whether in BigLaw, politics, or the judiciary.

I also don't get why the leak is a bad thing. Why should the Supreme Court be so secretive, but other branches of gov't we demand transparency?
The leak is a bad thing. The court should be making decisions based on the Constitution and not be swayed by the emotion of the people who are planning to show up at their homes and intimidate them and their families in protest of the information hat came out via the leak.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:43 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm interested in videos showing groups of women, similar to these groups of women, destroying any property.

Women do get loud and vulgar and shouty, that's for sure. Show me video of a group of loud mouthed women torching a car or a store.

That's male territory. With these women, you can expect to have to cover your ears, and maybe clear a blocked roadway.
First off, you don't get to change what I said and add caveats and then request I support it.

What I did claim is that women loot like here:

Walmart looting, lots of women present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ38ZyidZDs

And I already gave an example of a female arsonist (Althea) and so here is another:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...ge-floyd-arson

and another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjeJIlaKu_Q

Old 05-05-2022, 08:44 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Multiple states including mine already have laws on the books that ban abortion once Roe is overturned so stop lying...this decision will ban abortion for a good portion of the country...and many woman will not be able to afford to go to a state that does allow it...hell TX is going to try and and make it illegal for a woman to even go to another state that does allow the procedure.
This is a horrible decision by the idiots on the court...and as a gay man, now I have a sneaky feeling the same idiot justices will overturn my right to marry by using this same precedent...this is a truly Activist court now.
I agree with the above poster.

This draft document exposes a looming general threat to all Americans. If this stands, then the right to privacy is weakened and every person in these United States could face a future in which the government can interfere in the very most personal decisions we make about our lives.

Currently, we all know which party has elected leaders that are are trying to weaponize the use of the law against women. We know which state legislatures are dictating what a woman can do and cannot do with her own body. We know it is the GOP that desires to keep women from determining their own future and deny their rights and their freedoms.
The Republican Party wants to ban abortion in every state. They want to bully anyone who seeks or provides reproductive health care. And they want to criminalize and punish women for making these decisions.

Our right to privacy is under assault and if Roe is overturned the way this draft is indicating ---and it does seem likely--- anyone in our country, not just women, will face a future where government will interfere, bully and punish us for our personal lifestyles and decisions and choices.

Regarding those in this thread trying to make the leak of this draft the problem, as opposed to the draft's opinion, it seems abundantly transparent why they are peddling their poop and cockamamie conspiracies as a distraction and deflection. Here in America it has never been more clear which party wants to expand our rights and freedom and which party wants to restrict them.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-05-2022 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-05-2022, 08:44 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Or maybe let women decide for themselves. There isn't a one sized fits all solution even in one neighborhood. My circumstances and life are not the same as my neighbors. Why should I get to decide for them what is best for their life and family?
The majority of women in the United States who have abortions are young, poor and unmarried.

It may not be in the best interest of every community in this country to support or promote this lifestyle.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:47 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
I'm assuming all the law clerks will be under tremendous scrutiny at this point. Especially close scrutiny for those clerking for a liberal justice. If they do figure out who leaked the opinion, they will lose their license.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:49 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Well, following the rules is not a bad thing. Versus undermining our democratic institutions.

If you want to legally change the rules go ahead and work on that.
Firstly, there is no law that makes it illegal to distribute early drafts of judicial opinions. Otherwise, the FBI would be investigating the leak and not the Court itself.

Re changing the rules - maybe that's what the clerks are doing from within?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Firstly, there is no law that makes it illegal to distribute early drafts of judicial opinions. Otherwise, the FBI would be investigating the leak and not the Court itself.

Re changing the rules - maybe that's what the clerks are doing from within?
It’s not against the law. It is against the rules and is extremely unethical. Whoever did it should lose their job.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The majority of women in the United States who have abortions are young, poor and unmarried.

It may not be in the best interest of every community in this country to support or promote this lifestyle.
How would banning or allowing that person to have an abortion support or promote women being poor, young, or unmarried?

Ban an abortion and the woman is still young, poor and unmarried she would just have even more responsibility and expenses to care for a child. Or rather the taxpayers will now have more expense caring for her child. Or the child goes into the system and is cared for by the taxpayers until it is adopted IF it is adopted. The woman will still be young, poor and unmarried.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:53 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I'm assuming all the law clerks will be under tremendous scrutiny at this point. Especially close scrutiny for those clerking for a liberal justice. If they do figure out who leaked the opinion, they will lose their license.
Why couldn't it be a conservative clerk? Think about the motivations.

Liberal clerk leaks - it has no bearing on the final opinion and just blunts the liberal outrage when the actual opinion comes down.

Conservative clerk - plenty of motivation. This case still hasn't been decided and all it takes is one Justice to flip for Alito's opinion to become the minority opinion. Now it's a lot harder for one of the five Justices in the majority to flip, after everyone expects Roe v. Wade to be overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies