Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 03:19 PM

88,603 posts, read 44,302,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The more educated one is, the more likely to be Pro-Choice. The higher ones income, the more likely to be Pro-Choice. It’s a statement of fact. Your response however lands squarely in the LOL category.
Are you sure about that? Most people on your side overwhelmingly claim that women can't tell whether there's a chance they might be pregnant or not. That doesn't happen unless a woman is stupid or irresponsible.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:24 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,879,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
So, the anti-abortion arguments that you remember were mainly what if scenarios that had no basis in reality, too?
Please do your homework. Many states already had anti-abortion laws in place BEFORE Roe v Wade. So not "What If" scenarios at all. People in those states did not want the Supreme Court to strike down their precious abortion bans. The arguments on both sides were very much like today. Some of the trigger laws in various states today mirror what those states had before Roe.

What's old is new again.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:31 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,682,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Democratic faux outrage. Another manufactured crisis they want to cling to. I care about the gas price at the pump, the rising prices of everything and the unmitigated disaster happening with the hordes of illegal aliens invading our country. That’s what Americans want the government to act on.
The rage generated by the pending overturn of Roe, by SCOTUS, is not faux. It is authentic. Genuine, legitimate and natural outrage. Why every American is not enraged, fearful or deeply concerned about the autocratic implications of Justice Alito's arguments in this leaked document, and the potential disastrous effect on every one of us, is the mystery to me.

Not only will this right-wing radical draft argument sweep away 50 years of legal history, and turn back monumental changes in women’s lives, the slew of cascading consequences on other personal liberties and hard won rights such as contraception and marriage equality and much more are at risk.

This draft document exposes a looming general threat to all Americans. If this opinion stands, then the right to privacy is weakened and every person in these United States could face a future in which the government can interfere in the very most personal decisions we make about our lives.

Our right to privacy is under assault and if Roe is overturned the way this draft is indicating ---and it does seem likely--- anyone in our country, not just women, will face a future where government will interfere, bully and punish us for our personal lifestyles and decisions and choices. I think that is a very valid and fundamental issue to care about...why don't you, ketchikanite? Why isn't every democracy valuing American outraged?

Old 05-05-2022, 03:33 PM

17,293 posts, read 6,651,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The rage generated by the pending overturn of Roe, by SCOTUS, is not faux. It is authentic. Genuine, legitimate and natural outrage. Why every American is not enraged, fearful or deeply concerned about the autocratic implications of Justice Alito's arguments in this leaked document, and the potential disastrous effect on every one of us, is the mystery to me.

Not only will this right-wing radical draft argument sweep away 50 years of legal history, and turn back monumental changes in women’s lives, the slew of cascading consequences on other personal liberties and hard won rights such as contraception and marriage equality and much more are at risk.

This draft document exposes a looming general threat to all Americans. If this opinion stands, then the right to privacy is weakened and every person in these United States could face a future in which the government can interfere in the very most personal decisions we make about our lives.

Our right to privacy is under assault and if Roe is overturned the way this draft is indicating ---and it does seem likely--- anyone in our country, not just women, will face a future where government will interfere, bully and punish us for our personal lifestyles and decisions and choices. I think that is a very valid and fundamental issue to care about...why don't you, ketchikanite? Why isn't every democracy valuing American outraged?
I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Do you need a tissue?

Old 05-05-2022, 03:33 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,710,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That probably depends on the type of test taken.

People should learn how to be prepared.
If you test by ultrasound, which is what women who are using IVF fertility treatments do, you'll know sooner.

For home pregnancy tests, the earliest you usually find out is two weeks before the deadline to get an abortion.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:35 PM

5,003 posts, read 3,900,261 times
Well if the progressives disliked their reputation as lawbreaking abortion fanatics, this peculiar episode is nailing them with an unfortunate two-fer.

Some of them are starting to realize it.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:39 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,731,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you sure about that? Most people on your side overwhelmingly claim that women can't tell whether there's a chance they might be pregnant or not. That doesn't happen unless a woman is stupid or irresponsible.
I’m positive. The stats don’t lie. And it’s not stupidity. Many have irregular cycles and/or are on birth control and have scanty or missing period regularly. Or have the experience I did. I was sure I was NOT pregnant with my second child because I had implantation bleeding. That’s bleeding that occurs at the same time a woman would typically be getting her period. It wasn’t until I was late the next month that I went to the doctor for a test. This is a common occurrence. I was past the 6 week mark and the Texas Taliban would have denied me an abortion.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:48 PM

41,849 posts, read 17,370,894 times
Quote:
I’m positive. The stats don’t lie. And it’s not stupidity. Many have irregular cycles and/or are on birth control and have scanty or missing period regularly. Or have the experience I did. I was sure I was NOT pregnant with my second child because I had implantation bleeding. That’s bleeding that occurs at the same time a woman would typically be getting her period. It wasn’t until I was late the next month that I went to the doctor for a test. This is a common occurrence. I was past the 6 week mark and the Texas Taliban would have denied me an abortion.
You know what they say....there's lies, damn lies and "statistics".

Old 05-05-2022, 03:52 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,962,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Well if the progressives disliked their reputation as lawbreaking abortion fanatics, this peculiar episode is nailing them with an unfortunate two-fer.
i'll say.

islamic extremists are less fanatical about allah than this crowd is about abortion.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:00 PM

22,900 posts, read 12,054,642 times
Quote:

Provide a link. Or it didn’t happen.

Here’s mine:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx

Education I
No college 33% Pro Choice 62% Pro Life
Some college 49% Pro Choice 45% Pro Life
College graduate 62% Pro Choice 36% Pro Life
Postgraduate 68% Pro Choice. 28% Pro Life

Yearly household income
Less than $40,000 42% Pro Choice. 53% Pro Life
$40,000 to $99,999 49% Pro Choice. 46% Pro Life
$100,000 or more 61% Pro Choice. 37% Pro Life
I disagree with the poll question, asking if people are one or the other when it there is a massive gray area in between. The poll would have been more honest if they'd broken up the questions for early, mid and late term abortions.

pro-choice
ADJECTIVE
advocating legalized abortion

pro-life
ADJECTIVE
opposing abortion and euthanasia

I do not completely oppose abortion, I agree with legalized abortion to a point in time during the pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies