Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 11:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Support for keeping abortion legal varies quite widely depending on the reason for the abortion. Americans overwhelmingly support the 1.7% of abortions that are performed for physical health risk to mother and/or baby (+70, +44), rape or incest (+63), but are pretty evenly split on supporting the 98.3% of abortions that are performed solely for the sake of convenience. Support for the latter is only +3.

This ABC Chart tells the real story of how Americans feel about convenience abortion. This is why big corporations are making NO comment on this whatsoever. Whichever side they come down on, they automatically alienate the other half of their customer base.
There's still 12% of respondents who think abortion should be illegal even if the mother's life is in danger.

THIS is why we need to not turn this decision over to the states. Because 12% (the same general number of left-handed people in the US) think a woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy that will likely kill her.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
And Roe did not. As such, it lacked a sufficient Constitutional basis.

RBG would be among the least surprised that it's being overturned to abide by the US Constitution.
Least surprised but most dismayed.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:22 AM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Well, I dunno. Texas has passed legislation that virtually bans all abortions should Roe be overturned. Exceptions for bodily injury or death of mother only. I believe there are a number of other States that have similar trigger laws in effect.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05...-law-roe-wade/
TX does not ban all abortions. No state does. Anyone claiming otherwise is spreading misinformation. Perhaps because they themselves are ignorant.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:22 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Support for keeping abortion legal varies quite widely depending on the reason for the abortion. Americans overwhelmingly support the 1.7% of abortions that are performed for physical health risk to mother and/or baby (+70, +44), rape or incest (+63), but are pretty evenly split on supporting the 98.3% of abortions that are performed solely for the sake of convenience. Support for the latter is only +3.

This ABC Chart tells the real story of how Americans feel about convenience abortion. This is why big corporations are making NO comment on this whatsoever. Whichever side they come down on, they automatically alienate the other half of their customer base.
Whether one is for overturning Roe v. Wade, or against, how does one get around the promise of the Constitution that there is a realm of personal liberty which the government may not enter?

Old 05-08-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
TX does not ban all abortions. No state does. Anyone claiming otherwise is spreading misinformation. Perhaps because they themselves are ignorant.
You say this so often, apparently hoping people who are not paying attention will believe you.

The only thing standing between a complete ban on abortions (and even a ban on medications that keep a fertilized egg from implanting) is Roe. Once that's gone, 23 states will be able to exercise the law they have already in place to ban abortions.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Come on…that’s silly. One can disagree with someone who chooses to get an abortion, but at the same time believe that given all of the unique circumstances involved for the millions of pregnant women that the decision to have an abortion or not is best left to the individuals involved as opposed to the government making the decision on their behalf. You seem to see this as a very uncomplicated situation…if the problem were easy to solve, people would have figured it out a long time ago. I have no doubt in my mind that there are too many abortions. What I do doubt is substituting my morality or judgement for those of the parents involved. I don’t know their circumstances…I’m sure I would agree with some of their decisions to get abortions. I’m sure I’d disagree with others. You certainly and absolutism regarding this matter is troubling.
Killing someone else because you feel like it is wrong. Which is what abortion is. Killing someone else because you feel like it.

Explain to me how that is a "gray" statement.

Morality does not support killing babies in the womb just because you feel like it.

There are many problems created that didn't need to be solved.
Men can't be women, sorry.

Killing a baby in the womb just because you feel like it is wrong, sorry. No getting around that. Ever.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Do you have cases to indicate when “Women can be and have been convicted of killing and/or endangering the life of their own child before birth”?

Is Young v. St. Vincent's Medical Center the case you are referring to?
Quote:
"Despite a lack of criminal statutes specifically targeting substance use by pregnant women in other states, women have been charged and, infrequently, convicted of a range of criminal offenses for illicit substance use while pregnant, including child abuse, assault, manslaughter, and murder.15*In two states, South Carolina and Alabama, these convictions have been upheld by the state supreme court.16,–,18*The effect of these rulings is to permit women to be convicted for substance use during pregnancy under existing laws that are not specific to pregnancy. To date, the United States Supreme Court has declined to hear cases that raise questions about the constitutionality of such laws."
Criminal Charges for Child Harm from Substance Use in Pregnancy | Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law

Old 05-08-2022, 11:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Actually, THE one true God is probably pleased that people are finally standing up and saying that abortion is wrong in most circumstances; that it takes an innocent life, and that we as a society can do better.

You keep hiding behind the “mother’s life is in danger” and “rape and incest” when the vast majority of abortions are performed as an extreme version of birth control.
I have yet to see one pro abortion poster supply ANY statistics regarding the frequency of the bolded situation.

Not. One.

Wonder why. Perhaps because it is so incredibly rare as to be statistically insignificant? One would think they would be screeching those numbers to every chance they could to bolster their justification for abortion.

Yet ... Not. One. Statistic.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:32 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Anyone claiming the SCOTUS ruling in Plessy v. Ferguson did not empower the states to create Jim Crow laws that remained in effect for over a century is spreading misinformation.

Additionally any reasonable person would be skeptical when reading this part of Justice Samuel Alito’s initial draft majority opinion:
“We emphasize that our decision concerns the constitutional right to abortion and no other right. Nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.”
Does there exist a realm of personal liberty which the government may not enter?

Old 05-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Actually, THE one true God is probably pleased that people are finally standing up and saying that abortion is wrong in most circumstances; that it takes an innocent life, and that we as a society can do better.

You keep hiding behind the “mother’s life is in danger” and “rape and incest” when the vast majority of abortions are performed as an extreme version of birth control.
That is correct. 98.3% of abortions are performed solely for the sake of convenience, NOT because they're medically necessary or the result of rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies