Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 01:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Overwhelmed, I should say.

Way too many women end up as mothers before they are ready to raise kids. They do the best the can, but the kids pay the price.

Thousands of children in the foster care system, many waiting to be adopted, others waiting to be "reunified" with a mother (rarely, but now and again, a father) who has already demonstrated a significant inability to care for them.

Thousands of children in homes where social workers are trying desperately to keep things from deteriorating to the point of requiring foster care.

Thousands of children in homes that could use help from a social worker.

Then there is the whole issue of being able to provide financially for children, food, safe home, supervision, education, medical care, ...

Telling poor women they shouldn't have sex isn't going to solve the problem.

Why on God's green earth would we want more children subjected to being raised by mothers who are unable to care for them?

Social workers are already overwhelmed as it is.

Why would a nation want this? Particularly at a time when the future belongs to the nations with the best scientists, engineers, computer wizards, ...

What is the advantage of raising a lot of troubled children, many of whom will struggle the rest of their lives? Not that some of them won't end up as scientists, engineers, computer wizards, ... but the odds are in favor of those raised by mothers (and fathers) who are able to provide enough care and nurturing that social workers are not required.

Colorado has already demonstrated that providing long-term birth control cuts the rate of unwanted pregnancies, and abortion by nearly half.

I say we try that first before telling every woman in America she has no right to make decisions about her own body.
Good post. Why would a nation want this, you ask? The even better question to ask is why do Republican legislators want this? It's because they will tell you their constituents demand they ban all or nearly all abortions. So, they have to do it to get their votes. But do those constituents that they're hearing from on the issue represent how the majority feel? We'll find out in the upcoming primaries soon to come and later on in November. But I can't help but wonder if the main reason why incumbent Republicans have opponents in the primaries is because they failed to legislate far enough crazy to the right.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-08-2022 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2022, 01:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
This implies that the only reason a woman would want to get an abortion is to avoid raising a child, and that isn't the case. Depending on the circumstances, the mere act of having a child in a hospital can cost between $5,000 and $40,000 in the United States. Giving birth is dangerous, too: In the United States, pregnancy complications are the sixth most common cause of death for women between the ages of 20 and 34.

Even before birth, there are costs to pregnancy. In addition to the whole "carrying another human being around inside for nine months" thing, many women, particularly teens, are shunned and shamed for their pregnancies — not only by friends, families, employers, and classmates, but also by advertisements on line, in the subway and on and on. There's also the risk of violent retribution from abusive partners and parents.

In short, there are a lot of reasons a woman might seek an abortion. Adoption doesn't address all of them.

Decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or continue a pregnancy should be made by a pregnant person with the counsel of her family, her faith, and her health care provider. Politicians should not be involved in anyone’s personal medical decisions about their reproductive health or pregnancy. Nor should the anti-abortion crusaders and religious zealots who arrogantly attempt to dictate their beliefs that would make abortion inaccessible or illegal and which subjugate women.
Birth control is upwards of 98% effective. Or get your tubes tied.

What the leftist abortion lovers really want is for women to be able to have sex with no consequences whatsoever. They think it’s unfair that women are the ones who carry life and not men. Sorry, but that isn’t how it works.

There are also health consequences for not having children.

And again, motherhood is not subjugation.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:48 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Who is miss Terri to decide that pregnancy is a gift and something I should want? Who is she to speak for other women? I really agree with your post corpgypsy. They think life is such a gift no matter how it was conceived, it's so silly and ridiculous how these pro lifers think. I know I wouldn't be a good mother, and I don't think all life is gift especially when your forced to have a child you don't even want. But I'll get a good laugh when these prolifers have their taxes raised to pay for all these Gifts from Jesus lol.
If you know you won't be a good mother then why not get your tubes tied? That way you won't have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy and then stop the beating heart of a baby in your womb.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:49 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
You are implying that it's a woman's responsibility to bear a child if she chooses to have sex. That sounds suspiciously like you're dictating what a woman's role and purpose is, and a lot less like you're making an argument about the life of a child.

Not everyone has easy access to contraception, nor does everyone have a good enough sex education class to know how to use it or where to obtain it. But let's just suppose, for the sake of argument, that everyone had access to free contraception and knew how to use it correctly.

Even then, no contraception is 100% effective. Presumably, you oppose abortions even in cases where contraception fails (and it does sometimes fail, even when used perfectly). If that's true, you're saying that, by merely choosing to have sex — with or without a condom — a woman becomes responsible for having a child. And that's a belief that has everything to do with judging a woman's behavior, and nothing to do with the value of life.
In all fairness, contraception is readily available, and if everyone used contraception, we would not even be discussing this issue. Sure, there would be a small number of pregnancies that occurred thru the failure of birth control, but nothing like the magnitude of what is occurring now. Pro choice folks like myself have to acknowledge part of the problem here is that there are people who are not behaving responsibly when it comes to sexual activity. There are clearly too many abortions occurring….steps need to be taken to try and reduce the number through education, improved availability of birth control, counseling requirements for pregnant women who are considering abortions, improved financial support to encourage fostering and adoption, etc.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:50 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The poster InformedConsent says that no states ban abortion. His comments may be technically true but are absurd given that Texas has a trigger law that will ban all abortion 30 days after Roe is overturned, and there are NO exceptions for rape/incest. His inability to even acknowledge that this is a fact and this (while not an outright literal ban on abortion) might as well be one. I mean if a 12 year old rape victim can’t get access to an abortion, who really has access? You are completely correct these sorts of Republicans fail to understand these concerns.
You are so right. The scary thing is so many men don't respect a woman's boundaries. I was sexually harassed and touched when I said stop touching me and this man kept pressing me for sex when I said no. many men don't care for women's boundaries they just try harder when you tell them no, I would not feel
Safe as a women in this society if republicans make it harder or impossible to get an abortion or plan b. There are a lot of creepers out there. It's like they don't take women or our boundaries seriously. They think women are cute little play things that they don't take seriously. I have no idea why women aren't demanding plan b and the abortion pill be available everywhere. They keep saying rape only accounts for one percent of abortions but that number is underreported and that's around 30,000 rapes and much more per year.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
You are so right. The scary thing is so many men don't respect a woman's boundaries. I was sexually harassed and touched when I said stop touching me and this man kept pressing me for sex when I said no. many men don't care for women's boundaries they just try harder when you tell them no, I would not feel
Safe as a women in this society if republicans make it harder or impossible to get an abortion or plan b. There are a lot of creepers out there. It's like they don't take women or our boundaries seriously. They think women are cute little play things that they don't take seriously. I have no idea why women aren't demanding plan b and the abortion pill be available everywhere. They keep saying rape only accounts for one percent of abortions but that number is underreported and that's around 30,000 rapes and much more per year.
Plan B is available everywhere. You’re making up a lot of things in this thread that simply aren’t true.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:53 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
If you know you won't be a good mother then why not get your tubes tied? That way you won't have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy and then stop the beating heart of a baby in your womb.
I would if I could but they don't allow this in society. They only allow this for someone who has multiple kids. They don't care about women and their wants they just want woman to be breeding machines. But this will all back fire on society though when that happens I'll lmao.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:54 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
In all fairness, contraception is readily available, and if everyone used contraception, we would not even be discussing this issue. Sure, there would be a small number of pregnancies that occurred thru the failure of birth control, but nothing like the magnitude of what is occurring now. Pro choice folks like myself have to acknowledge part of the problem here is that there are people who are not behaving responsibly when it comes to sexual activity. There are clearly too many abortions occurring….steps need to be taken to try and reduce the number through education, improved availability of birth control, counseling requirements for pregnant women who are considering abortions, improved financial support to encourage fostering and adoption, etc.
Agreed!

Old 05-08-2022, 01:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Pro choice folks like myself have to acknowledge part of the problem here is that there are people who are not behaving responsibly when it comes to sexual activity. There are clearly too many abortions occurring….steps need to be taken to try and reduce the number through education, improved availability of birth control, counseling requirements for pregnant women who are considering abortions, improved financial support to encourage fostering and adoption, etc.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:58 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
I would if I could but they don't allow this in society. They only allow this for someone who has multiple kids. They don't care about women and their wants they just want woman to be breeding machines. But this will all back fire on society though when that happens I'll lmao.
What are you talking about? Of course you can get your tubes tied. Are you serious here or just trolling? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies