Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,585,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For clarity, how many of us in this thread have actually put in a LOT of hours supporting and providing services to either:

girls who are pregnant, or at risk for being pregnant
girls who are in school and are struggling to get their diploma while raising a baby
women who are struggling to raise children alone
children in foster care, who were clearly never wanted in the first place?
Me.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:07 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Me.
Thank you for responding, and I knew that. ;D

Old 05-09-2022, 08:09 AM

16,900 posts, read 14,241,907 times
Quote:
For clarity, how many of us in this thread have actually put in a LOT of hours supporting and providing services to either:

girls who are in school and are struggling to get their diploma while raising a baby

It's all fine and dandy to sit behind a keyboard and passionately opine on how women and girls who get themselves pregnant should be forced to carry that baby to term. How many of us have walked the walk and are willing to spend our precious time supporting those women and girls, and how many have never given thought to putting in one single hour in support of those women and girls, and babies?
For clarity ... it doesn't matter.

No one's opinion is more valuable than anyone else - no matter how much virtual signaling they do.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
For clarity ... it doesn't matter.

No one's opinion is more valuable than anyone else - no matter how much virtual signaling they do.
Actually, the value of people's opinions varies GREATLY depending on the experience they've had.

I trust my financial planner to steer me in what types of investments to make, my vet in what kind of ear meds to buy, and my kid's teacher in what are some of the best pre-reading activities. Way more than some stranger on the internet opining.

And people on the net who pound away without ever experiencing a social issue up close, and who don't have it in their hearts to spend some of their time working on that problem, have opinions that are less valuable to me - by far - than people who are in the trenches and have seen a thing or two.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 AM

88,557 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Quote:

It's all fine and dandy to sit behind a keyboard and passionately opine on how women and girls who get themselves pregnant should be forced to carry that baby to term. How many of us have walked the walk and are willing to spend our precious time supporting those women and girls, and how many have never given thought to putting in one single hour in support of those women and girls, and babies?
Me. I donate extensively to local food pantries because there's a high level of need here especially in the off season, and donate a significant amount of my time and skills helping low-income families which are frequently single Moms with one or more kids. Why wouldn't anyone help their neighbors???

Old 05-09-2022, 08:15 AM

41,724 posts, read 17,294,014 times
Virtue signaling doesn't give your opinion any more weight than anyone else.

Abortion issues will go to the states and the residents there will decide what they want...it's called voting.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Virtue signaling doesn't give your opinion any more weight than anyone else.

Abortion issues will go to the states and the residents there will decide what they want...it's called voting.
I'm not virtue signaling. I'm stating experience with the subject, as others here in this conversation have experience, while other posters might not have any.

Just as someone on the dog board, who might have participated in fostering dogs for 20 years (not me) might have good ideas on dealing with anxious dogs.

It's not virtue signaling to say who has a lot of experience with this subject matter.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:17 AM

16,900 posts, read 14,241,907 times
Quote:
Actually, the value of people's opinions varies GREATLY depending on the experience they've had. And the willingness to help solve problems, and give of their time and energy in the effort that's being discussed.

I trust my financial planner to steer me in what types of investments to make, my vet in what kind of ear meds to buy, and my kid's teacher in what are some of the best pre-reading activities. Way more than some stranger on the internet opining.

And people on the net who pound away without ever experiencing a social issue up close, and who don't have it in their hearts to spend some of their time working on that problem, have opinions that are less valuable to me - by far - than people who are in the trenches and have seen a thing or two.
Faulty comparisons.

You're comparing opinions to professional experience - and have used three examples of people who are licensed to perform certain tasks.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:18 AM

88,557 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Just a quick reminder... Congressional Dems DON'T have enough votes to pass their abortion bill. That should be telling pro-abortion advocates something. You don't have as much support as you claim.

Like I said, Americans are pretty evenly split on keeping elective convenience abortions (which are 98.3% of all abortions) legal:

48% keep it legal
45% make it illegal

No surprise the Dems don't have enough votes to pass their bill.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:18 AM

9,188 posts, read 4,978,087 times
Quote:

Your 'argument' ignores the fact that abortion will still be legal in many states. It also removes responsibility from the young women and their PARENTS to prevent unwanted pregnancies, in whatever manner they deem suitable - education, religious / moral teaching, etc.
You can get free birth control at school, for God's sake. And there is the morning after pill (although some people, with their hair on fire, claim that will be outlawed). And then there's abstinence (the horror).

If Roe is overturned, perhaps we will be forced to return to a 'moral high ground' of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies