Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Diversity training is job training. Workers need to learn to not be racist jerks in order to do their jobs well.

People who are racist are not going to stop being racist just because they have to attend a diversity seminar. The idea that this is going to have any impact on people's lives or jobs is laughable. A few people may be terminated, and they will quickly find employment elsewhere. It looks more like the private sector is becoming more like the government with wasteful spending and patting themselves on the back for doing "the right thing", without actually solving anything. It's all quite lame.

The falling stock market will put an end to this kind of stuff, like it always does. I remember just before the bush stock market crash, they were trying to pump people up with lame seminars that were pointless. People made fun of them then, but they didn't have anything to do with race. These racist seminars will be mocked in private instead, because few people want to be accused of being a racist. Many people will lie and go along with lies to avoid being singled out and branded a racist. Look how many white people nod their head in approval when someone says white people are inherently racist. They are called sheep, and there are plenty of them in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 11:58 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
People who are racist are not going to stop being racist just because they have to attend a diversity seminar. The idea that this is going to have any impact on people's lives or jobs is laughable. A few people may be terminated, and they will quickly find employment elsewhere. It looks more like the private sector is becoming more like the government with wasteful spending and patting themselves on the back for doing "the right thing", without actually solving anything. It's all quite lame.

The falling stock market will put an end to this kind of stuff, like it always does. I remember just before the bush stock market crash, they were trying to pump people up with lame seminars that were pointless. People made fun of them then, but they didn't have anything to do with race. These racist seminars will be mocked in private instead, because few people want to be accused of being a racist. Many people will lie and go along with lies to avoid being singled out and branded a racist. Look how many white people nod their head in approval when someone says white people are inherently racist. They are called sheep, and there are plenty of them in the USA.

I truly think racism is the new boogie man. Does it exist? Sure. But is it this widespread gigantic problem that plagues our community? I don't think so. I really don't. Most everybody that I know sees a person for who that person truly is and they don't base anything off skin color.

So if I were to guess what percentage of people are unabashed racists? Maybe 5-10% max. Will this small segment of the pie change even if they are forced to attend diversity training? Probably not.

At some point in time, the left needs to stop with all the witch hunting. Spending hours upon hours upon hours of calling people racist, white supremist, Nazi etc is simply unfounded and silly. This stuff IS the new boogieman. Time to get real and focus on REAL problems that really exist.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:30 AM

117 posts, read 392,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Job training in the aspects of the job still exists? LOL. I haven't seen legitimate on the job training in a decade or more
Thanks, here --- Watching Undercover Boss has really dramatized this . . . watching the disguised boss show up on his 'own' worksite and be 'trained' and expected to execute whatever task as if he'd been provided not only adequate training, but something more than five minutes' worth. What is going on in the professional world???? Musicians, athletes, doctors, lawyers, all "practice" whatever it is they focus on. How is showing somebody something one or two times, then expecting them to execute it to some standard while under pressure [like busy rush period, for example] any sort of training? I have come to hate that show for that very reason, knowing that translates to real life.

How has it gotten lost that productivity is increased and enhanced when the staff knows what its doing, and everyone is shown all the useful shortcuts, rather than not guiding them in advance then reprimanding for not executing a procedure they weren't advised up and told after the fact they'd better be doing it X or Y way.

Are there any answers to this? Its not acceptable.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Diversity training is job training. Workers need to learn to not be racist jerks in order to do their jobs well.

What happened to, Everything I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten? Golden Rule? To call all this static "training" is ridiculous and annoying. People know how to treat each other, they just are self-centered and apathetic. Nobody needs to be trained not to be a jerk, they just need not do it. Most people know right from wrong; to call this training is egregious.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
We have to take these once a year and it's purely a formality. If someone truly is racist/homophobic/etc. it's pretty naive to think a 15-minute annual webinar is going to cause them to have some sort of epiphany.
Too bad these pathetic managers and HR staffers aren't being subjected ton indoctrination about hiring exquisitely and highly experienced professionals in their fields who have more than 20 years' experience rather than how to cheap out and save money with the new young ones.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
People used to mock all those liberal degree majors from those hippie colleges. Get that easy grade.

Well, they are all out in the workforce now! Gotta pay that loan off and afford that big city rent somehow.

If there wasn't a market for their degrees before, they sure Made a market for themselves as 'DEI culture counselors"

And business is a boom'in!
As a liberal arts major, geography, I take offense to your statement.....ahem. Geography is no easy thing.

These days, the diversity training is all on line, power point et al.. Not as fun (or tasty) when we use to meet in the great big conference room. Or as potentially painful.

Some of the sections I work in rather orient one to think in certain ways. Such as when I was formulating a strike team, academic, against installation and I composed the members from those people usually found as janitors and put them in such uniforms. Why? Because to the white collar types, they may not remember seeing "those kinds of people" which may aid my cause, academic mind you again, when the police investigate the aftermath.

I had a lot of eyes staring at me when I had to relate that in front of the class but the presenter said it was okay in the Tactics section but not in other sections.....and then he gave me a counter to my tactic. Have the police question the custodians as well for they would notice people who didn't fit in.

To which comes down to an interesting question or two of......just what is job training, anyway? My job has often been summed up as "Do everything, do what they tell you to do."......and I rather think I am not the only kind with that kind of job.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:11 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Haven't had to attend one thankfully.

Also helps that I am working from home 100% of the time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies