Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM

9,833 posts, read 4,618,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Right. And it should be determined after the 8th grade which direction students should go. Stop wasting the teachers time trying to drive round pegs into square holes.
Yes don't force the issue of college but the 8th grade is kind of early. Yes many doing well academically are already thinking about what they want to do or what college to attend but many don't even get serious about school, learning or life until much later.

They should allow people to test out of high school but that requires making a GED more common. The teacher unions alone wouldn't allow for that. Some people need to live and learn for themselves. Life/the real world is not only a good teacher but a good motivator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 10:26 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
In the military you can earn a pension and retire after 20 years.

But the schools will never tell students this.

They lie and tell students they’ll be burger flippers if they don’t go to college.
1) Every single E7 or above at my last two commands in the military said the EXACT SAME THING every time anyone said they were getting out of the Navy - what are you gonna do...flip burgers?

2) The active duty military has an absurdly high divorce rate vs other industries and occupations. The recruiters never tell prospective recruits this.

3) Yes, you can get a pension after 20 years, but 20 years of active duty military is no small thing. In the Navy, that is 12-14 years of sea time, and even on a carrier or other luxury ship, sea time means no family while underway.

I did 10 years in the fast attack submarine force, and if I learned one thing, it's that it isn't the employment bed of roses that recruiters are selling. There are upsides, but they come with a whole truckload of downsides.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:30 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
Quote:
In the military you can earn a pension and retire after 20 years.

But the schools will never tell students this.

They lie and tell students they’ll be burger flippers if they don’t go to college.
Oh come on! Even in my local high school where 85%+ of the students go on to some form of college, there were recruiters on campus regularly touting the benefits of military service.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:49 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Damn. We keep agreeing.
Come on now, we agree plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not snipping because I disagree but rather because I to point the alternative.

Not sure of your future path? Do your college as 2+2 if your state has a solid plan for it.

That is get your gen ed stuff done for a fraction of the cost at the county college level. Some states REQUIRE 4 year colleges to accept 100 and 200 level gen ed classes from the county college system.

Your mileage may vary according to which state.
Absolutely.

Undecideds should do the 100-200 level "get decided" work for as cheap as they can, and have a job in the meantime.

I was referring to the kids who go to Spendy BigBucks U and are General Studies majors for two years until they maybe choose a real major or drop out. At a decently average big state school, that is $30k annually to decide whether or not you feel like finishing school.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:56 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Absolutely.

Undecideds should do the 100-200 level "get decided" work for as cheap as they can, and have a job in the meantime.

I was referring to the kids who go to Spendy BigBucks U and are General Studies majors for two years until they maybe choose a real major or drop out. At a decently average big state school, that is $30k annually to decide whether or not you feel like finishing school.
Eh, my kid entered Big State U as an undecided. She applied to the College of Engineering at the end of her freshman year, completed her degree in four years, and walked straight into a job at graduation. We encouraged her to choose Big State U because we knew she would have lots of options.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:05 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Or just get a job that offers training.

Quote:
College

Military (military service can teach you a marketable skill during tech school)

Trade school

Those are your options, it isn’t rocket science.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:09 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
So don't get married while your in. Do your twenty, retire, then shack up in your 40s when you get out.

I thought about joining. Was actually in ROTC for a short time, but didn't stay with it. Would never even think of getting married as active duty military. Then again, I never got married at all.

Quote:
1) Every single E7 or above at my last two commands in the military said the EXACT SAME THING every time anyone said they were getting out of the Navy - what are you gonna do...flip burgers?

2) The active duty military has an absurdly high divorce rate vs other industries and occupations. The recruiters never tell prospective recruits this.

3) Yes, you can get a pension after 20 years, but 20 years of active duty military is no small thing. In the Navy, that is 12-14 years of sea time, and even on a carrier or other luxury ship, sea time means no family while underway.

I did 10 years in the fast attack submarine force, and if I learned one thing, it's that it isn't the employment bed of roses that recruiters are selling. There are upsides, but they come with a whole truckload of downsides.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:12 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
I know a dozenish male vets who did 10+ years. Only one had a wife that did not cheat or at least it never came out if she cheated and they reconciled. One other had a designated batter while he was away. Shrug not my thing but OK. Note: I dont know how many of them cheated themselves.

Quote:

Absolutely.

LOL lets talk about health insurance because I am left of center on that.

I could write a book how I would reform post secondary education with the basics of many higher demand 4 year degrees being available at the county level and the associates degree being a mile marker earned while earning a bachelors. (IE if life happens, perhaps you have earned your associates and you restart from there later)

Most kids get along with their parents. I know many dont. but for those who do, home is a place that is either free or has drastically lower financial costs. Im not booting my kids out as long as they dont become whackos and are pursuing career objectives.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:02 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
The trades are not exactly a sure thing. There are quite a few of them that have lost a large percentage of their work due to the switch over to green energy. The Boilermakers and the Steam Fitters don't not have anywhere near the work they had 20 years ago. Just make sure you chose trade that you can take into the private sector.

Just getting your foot in the door at a trade union is really not enough these days. Money chases talent in the trades also. It is the people who take the time to learn difficult blue print reading and have other certifications as well as leadership ability that usually get requested the most. The rest are left with the scraps.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:22 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
The trades are not exactly a sure thing. There are quite a few of them that have lost a large percentage of their work due to the switch over to green energy. The Boilermakers and the Steam Fitters don't not have anywhere near the work they had 20 years ago. Just make sure you chose trade that you can take into the private sector.

Just getting your foot in the door at a trade union is really not enough these days. Money chases talent in the trades also. It is the people who take the time to learn difficult blue print reading and have other certifications as well as leadership ability that usually get requested the most. The rest are left with the scraps.
One should always strive to be at the top of whatever it is they do. Try to learn something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies