Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 12:09 PM

216 posts, read 67,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's a metaphor representing the dysfunctional slave culture that was inculcated into ADOS people by slaveowners and that ADOS people largely retain today.
Are you seriously talking about slavery in the year 2022? That ended in America in 1865!

Old 05-18-2022, 12:19 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
Are you seriously talking about slavery in the year 2022? That ended in America in 1865!
Yes we are talking about slavery in 2022. You can't talk about chit'lin culture without talking about slavery. You can't speak about Black Americans without talking about slavery. Slavery is literally the only reason Black Americans are here.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:31 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes we are talking about slavery in 2022. You can't talk about chit'lin culture without talking about slavery. You can't speak about Black Americans without talking about slavery. Slavery is literally the only reason Black Americans are here.
I'm not saying to forget about slavery as a part of our history - but it can't be one of the main planks that we deal with regularly. Otherwise black folk will be stuck in sludge while other immigrants come in and run rings around us.

At this point in history, it's probably more prudent to deal with people on a case by case basis rather than an entire race of people as a whole. Otherwise, you are just hamstringing yourself.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:32 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
Because the culture inculcated into the slaves still exists in black people today. It's necessary to describe the first datum point to get to the point we are today.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because the culture inculcated into the slaves still exists in black people today. It's necessary to describe the first datum point to get to the point we are today.
Many people don't want to hear about slavery, but we can't solve a problem without going to its source. In this case, we have no choice but to look at the role slave played.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:48 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Duress and dependence. When one cannot do much and isn't allowed to do much, they will do whatever they can. Today, with the flow of information and with more Blacks in the middle/upper classes, and being educated than ever, I would hope the chitlin culture would fade away. Sadly, it's thriving among the poorest, and those in the ghettos. Even more ironic, it's a money maker. When Li'l Wayne gets more respect than Neil Degrasse Tyson, there's a problem.
What's wrong with that? As long as they are not harming or bothering anyone else... The fact that this culture has access to profit and make money is a good thing in that their kids have a chance to get better schooling and may end up like Tyson.

Quote:
Other cultures at least, have historically had more of a say. They at least had their cultures and could improve. ADOS never really had a culture. A culture had them. This is why I call the chitlin culture a culture of duress and dependence. It was formed under duress and relies on dependence.

I think about this. With other cultures, they didn't have the same pressing dilemma as ADOS Blacks. I think about the glorification of chitlin culture. And then I think about the intellectual movement of the 1960s. The Black power movement in the 1960s came with its intellectuals. However, it ended, ironically, with intellectuals being shunned. The "acting White" and "talking White" epithets, I suspect this came out of anger towards the larger dominant society. It came out of a mentality of hopelessness. Other groups, as you say, came with their own functioning cultures. Their battle was about being immigrants coming to America, and trying to be accepted into American culture. For them, it was a battle for assimilation, while maintaining theirs. ADOS, on the other hand, it was a battle of figuring out who we were. They were given the entrails of someone else's culture. And this came to a head in the 1960s.
So this thread has been going on for awhile... but I feel like you are not getting what you want. you aren't getting your itch scratched.

Do you just want the discussion about this? Are you put off on the way some black people behave and what they value?

I got the whole "active white" treatment in middle school. I still carry that. But would I be doing the same thing in reverse if I complain about them acting like the slave culture? What's right behivior and wrong behavior?

Old 05-18-2022, 01:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
After a couple of generations, cultural traditions from previous countries typically evaporate as immigrants and their offspring adopt mainstream American culture. By second or third generation, other languages have been lost, and immigrant culture is mostly relegated to a day of celebration such as St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo.

Public schools and media have largely been responsible for "socializing" immigrants from all over the world, and schools have been integrated for generations. From my experience, poor AAs are the most resistant to adopting societal norms of the mainstream. Generation after generation seem to be poisoned by dysfunction that they learn at home.

The same thing occurs among all 3 races. There is a significant number of Caucasians and Asians who reject mainstream culture and live in dysfunction. When this is a chosen path, it's pretty difficult for outsiders to enact change.

When I lived in California, there was a large population of "Okies" who were equally resistant to change, and prone to violence. The difference was that most of the violence was in the form of fistfights or domestic abuse and rarely resulted in death.

AAs have made significant contributions to American culture considering their relatively small percentage of the population. The trouble is that it seems to be a one-way flow for many of them.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:52 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's wrong with that? As long as they are not harming or bothering anyone else... The fact that this culture has access to profit and make money is a good thing in that their kids have a chance to get better schooling and may end up like Tyson.
That profit is for other people. Money going into the urban black communities, statistically, remains in those communities less than a day. Even with the relatively very few black people who can become seemingly rich, the cash is mostly flash. The entertainment industries (including online entertainment) are equally bad in producing real wealth among its stars, and only a tiny minority of urban black residents will become entertainment stars.

Most people are going to make a living with 9-5 jobs, now and in the foreseeable future. If the culture is not inculcating that understanding into its young people, that's a feature of its dysfunction.

And it's easy to find examples of the thinking--in both young ADOS males and females--in urban areas that holding any 9-5 job is failure, not success. It's easy to find young ADOS females who state outright that a man who is working 9-5 is a failure. Heck, even a black woman on The View stated that...which is an example of an entertainer making money who still has a dysfunctional chitlin culture mindset.

[/quote]

I got the whole "active white" treatment in middle school. I still carry that. But would I be doing the same thing in reverse if I complain about them acting like the slave culture? What's right behavior and wrong behavior?[/quote]

We need to trace the path that led from what had been an upward trajectory--albeit a quite flat upward trajectory--from slavery to the late 70s and began a downward trajectory since that point.

What things happened to change the trajectory and what needs to be changed to turn it upward again.

And there is always more than one thing happening, which is why the answer cannot be doing just one thing.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Except one problem: The culture being promoted is a culture that is hurting Black people who are living in the ghettos. The money isn't going to the ghettos. Nothing good is coming from it.

Quote:
So this thread has been going on for awhile... but I feel like you are not getting what you want. you aren't getting your itch scratched.
What itch? I'm simply addressing where a culture comes from and how we can replace it with something better.

Quote:
Do you just want the discussion about this? Are you put off on the way some black people behave and what they value?
I'm very unhappy with people claim as "authentic Black culture". It's not authentic Black American culture. It is the entrails of Anglo-American culture. To get a better idea, go look at what Ralph_Kirk is talking about.

Quote:
I got the whole "active white" treatment in middle school. I still carry that. But would I be doing the same thing in reverse if I complain about them acting like the slave culture? What's right behivior and wrong behavior?
I'm talking about an underclass culture that helps no one. I'm talking about its origin and how we could replace it with something better.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:46 AM

Years ago I found one of my mother's cook books. Alot of recipes from African countries like Senegal, Ethiopia, Ghana, Cameroon, Mozambique,etc. I think about some of the foods from those countries that Black Americans could adopt as part of the cuisine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies