Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 12:15 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My daughter brought up a consideration that I hesitate to ponder...but I can't rule it out.

We're all familiar with stories and stereotypes of inbreeding among "hillbilly" whites. Everybody has seen or heard about "Deliverance."

But a lot of people living in urban inner cities don't move more than a few blocks in their entire lives, the "baby mama/baby daddy" culture is pretty casual about lineage recordkeeping, and those generations are often pretty short (maybe 12-18 years).
I know about the hillbilly stereotype. I've heard it before. We're I lived, we didn't have so much "hillbillies" as we did just straight up trashy individuals. "Trailer park trash". I remember in middle school and high school watching the Maury Show. I used to think "those out of control teenagers remind me of those trashy kids I go to high school with". And I'm not talking about the paternity tests (although I watched those too).

In terms of the inner city ghettos, it's not just the relatively short generations. I've seen some of that among underclass Whites. It's the tragedy of questionable paternity. You mention some people in the ghettos never moving more than a few blocks. I hesitate to think this as well, but I suspect that there could be far more "inbreeding" going on than we know of. And this is why I am against promiscuous behavior. There have been cases of relatives sleeping with one another and procreating, and not knowing they are related. Why? Because the mother didn't know who the father was. In one case, a woman married her father because she didn't know it was her father. Apparently, he had her when he was a teenager, and her mother never told her.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Just a casual reminder that pioneers,architects,engineers, & inventors culture existed throughout that post plantation culture. Horace King builded a bridge in my hometown that still stands today. Plus numerous of settlements that was created & businesses too.
True. But there is still something to be noted of people who picked up roots and went elsewhere to seek their fortune.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:56 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True. But there is still something to be noted of people who picked up roots and went elsewhere to seek their fortune.
I agree. Since I do have Exodusters in my lineage, I'm not going to brag about them too much more, but I agree.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I agree. Since I do have Exodusters in my lineage, I'm not going to brag about them too much more, but I agree.
I feel like there is a mentality that comes with it. That of "We're not going to take any crap from anyone". A sense of "we can, therefore we will".

In the 21st century, there is no better time than the present for Black Americans to build and keep building. More of us in the middle class and upper class than before. More of us taking on jobs like architects, city planners, and engineers than ever (albeit we're still underrepresented in those fields). I have no reason to believe that Black people can't build something similar to a Silicon Valley. Or to start towns and cities (not exclusively for Black people, but I am talking about building things in general).

I think minimizing the influence of chit'lin culture is for Black people to build more. Those of us who can build, I think it would help. It would set a precedence of leadership.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Some kind of made up foolishness.

How bout ..

Chowder Culture
Craw-fish Culture
Etouffee Elitist
Livermush Liberals
She-Crab Shysters
Hoppn John Hipsters
Lutefisk Looters

They all make about as much sense.

Go read the rest of the thread. Maybe you will get a much better understanding of what we're talking about.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:58 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Some probably have seen a portion or two of this... I thought it was good.

Sowell is on from 57s through about 12min of the video.

Even the origins of chitlins (chitterlings) are explained.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:45 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,795,783 times
Quote:
I feel like there is a mentality that comes with it. That of "We're not going to take any crap from anyone". A sense of "we can, therefore we will".

In the 21st century, there is no better time than the present for Black Americans to build and keep building. More of us in the middle class and upper class than before. More of us taking on jobs like architects, city planners, and engineers than ever (albeit we're still underrepresented in those fields). I have no reason to believe that Black people can't build something similar to a Silicon Valley. Or to start towns and cities (not exclusively for Black people, but I am talking about building things in general).

I think minimizing the influence of chit'lin culture is for Black people to build more. Those of us who can build, I think it would help. It would set a precedence of leadership.
Isn't this the same sentiment that leads to endless black on black murders, as well as daily attacks on fast-food workers and others?

Is there a need for another Silicon Valley or new towns and cities?

Old 05-24-2022, 09:48 AM

58,761 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
I think about what is coined as "chitlin culture". The type of culture found in the American ghettos. It's most prevalent among the Black underclass. I think about where this culture came from. This didn't just develop overnight. A synopsis: Some the of tenets of ghetto culture, or "chitlin culture" date back to the 19th century South. Alot of it came out of slavery. I know many people don't want to hear that. However, in order to solve a problem, one has understand where this problem came from.

The "chitlin culture" I'm talking about refers mainly to ghetto culture, and not Black culture as whole. Jazz, R&B, HBCUs, that isn't part of the chitlin culture. I was speaking with another Black man about some bad things that go on in a specific segment of the Black population, as well as some other bad things. We both agreed that ghetto culture is really "redneck culture" that made its way to the cities. Some of the worst aspects of ghetto culture borrowed from underclass southern society in the 19th century. Combination of the slave culture and the underclass southern culture, and then city life. Ralph_Kirk is an inspiration behind this thread.
"The type of culture found in the American ghettos. It's most prevalent among the Black underclass"

"Chitlins became a Southern cuisine staple, and by the mid-century, there were chitterling-eating clubs such as the Royal Order of Chitlin Eaters of Nashville, Tennessee, and the Happy Chitlin Eaters of Raleigh, North Carolina"

"While the popularity of chitlins has dropped over the decades, they are still a Southern delicacy most often enjoyed during the holidays. It’s common for foods such as beef liver and onions to be served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, alongside other Southern food staples such as collard greens and fried chicken"

Old 05-24-2022, 09:58 AM

58,761 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Let me give my thoughts on what "culture" actually means. Most people tend to think only of surface culture, the obvious elements that we see on display in public. But there is a lot more to culture to that (some of which has become apparent in discussions of CRT).

I explain culture as multi-leveled.

Surface Culture: Observable and palpable elements such as food, dress, music, dialect, and holidays. Surface culture is characterized by low emotional resistance to alternatives, which can occur over fairly short time periods, over one generation, or from one small region to another. Surface culture can be a window to lower levels of culture, but not always because accepting alternatives at the surface level does not create great anxiety. For instance, an African can move to the United States and adopt many elements of American surface culture without having changed all his lower levels of culture.

Shallow Culture is made up of the unspoken rules around everyday social interactions and norms: Modes of courtesy toward elders, nature, or friendship, concepts of timeliness and tardiness, demonstrations of personal space boundaries, rules about eye contact or appropriate touching. This level has a strong emotional charge. Interpretation of certain behaviors can manifest as being friendly, hostile, disrespectful, or offensive. Social violation of these norms can cause mistrust, distress, or social friction.

Deep Culture is the tacit knowledge and unconscious assumptions that govern world views. They include cosmology, understanding of the passage of time, guiding moral values, spirituality, health, and theories of group harmony. Deep culture governs how we evaluate and inculcate new information (epistemology). While shallow culture pertains to how moral values are socially presented, deep culture pertains to how those moral values originate and are characterized. Deep culture does not change quickly, and it requires an immense amount of desire and determination to change--it will usually reflect a change of personal character. Deep culture defines right/wrong, respect/disrespect, honor/dishonor, shallow culture defines how we express those values.

I agree that what we see as black urban culture is derived from "cracker" rural Southern white culture at the deep level and largely at the shallow level. Some of it is reflected even at the shallow level, such as intense sensitivity to violence at any implication of public disrespect.
"I agree that what we see as black urban culture is derived from "cracker""

Cracker also comes from then men who "herded" the cattle in Fl. by"cracking" the whip. One who did it was a "cracker".

Most don't know Fl has MORE cattle then Texas.

"redneck " referred to those that worked the farms and with their necks open to the sun, their necks turned red because of sun burn.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Isn't this the same sentiment that leads to endless black on black murders, as well as daily attacks on fast-food workers and others?

Is there a need for another Silicon Valley or new towns and cities?
Read the post in its entirety, every word, not just one or two sentences. And then you'll get a better idea of what I am talking about.

BTW I doubt that Black people with a pioneer spirit would be engaging in Black on Black homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.