Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 03:31 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,780,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No one holds a candle to the Black UNDERCLASS in that category. And the average American Black person doesn't appreciate being associated with an underclass hood rat. All the more reason and incentive some people want to keep the negative, surly elements within the Black population out of sight. Why would I want underclass thugs front and center out in the open, for me to answer for?
I am sure that not even 1% of the US population follows City Data. Keeping these antics "out of sight" on this website has virtually no effect on U.S. public opinion when the news media carries daily stories about black violence.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:39 PM

72,842 posts, read 62,249,253 times
In any population, its best and brightest should be the ones calling the shots. The "talented tenth" should be the ones who are front in center. A 13 year old Black boy should aspire to be that scientist, that engineer, that tech mogul. That is not what pop culture puts out there. The Black population's intellectuals, the brains, the talented tenth, they don't get the last word, they aren't calling the shots. And because of that, "chit'lin culture" gets put front and center. In no population does it's underbelly get put front and center as the definition of that culture.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:46 PM

45,322 posts, read 26,898,300 times
Quote:
Well the parts that you chose, you literally missed the point of my post. Or ignored it. Maybe the reason I have that bad habit is because of stuff like this. There was point I was trying to drive home. A point that would only be understood if you didn't pick just one part of it. You need to look at ALL of it, not just one or two parts. You ignored the entire point I was trying to make. That is why I get so angry.
You can't control what people get and don't get.

I'm not been snarky in saying this... just a result of being married for 28+ years.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:50 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,420,306 times
Something about slaves establishing a pecking order through threats and violence, and appreciating a "simple" life back when there was basically no other option for a black person. I'll say I couldn't care less if someone wants to be poor and "ghetto" and doesn't bother anyone else.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I am sure that not even 1% of the US population follows City Data. Keeping these antics "out of sight" on this website has virtually no effect on U.S. public opinion when the news media carries daily stories about black violence.
Just the same, I think about this. I'm trying to live in this society without having to answer for the underclass and violent criminals who look like me. I have enough to deal with. Reporting on said criminals hasn't stopped them. Getting tough on the law hasn't stopped them. Those violent criminals do not care how much attention they get. I, on the other hand, care how I am treated and perceived.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You can't control what people get and don't get.

I'm not been snarky in saying this... just a result of being married for 28+ years.
No I can't. However, I would think more people would try critical thinking and actually looking at the who subject.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:59 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,780,562 times
Quote:
In any population, its best and brightest should be the ones calling the shots. The "talented tenth" should be the ones who are front in center. A 13 year old Black boy should aspire to be that scientist, that engineer, that tech mogul. That is not what pop culture puts out there. The Black population's intellectuals, the brains, the talented tenth, they don't get the last word, they aren't calling the shots. And because of that, "chit'lin culture" gets put front and center. In no population does it's underbelly get put front and center as the definition of that culture.
I agree but much of black America does not. They idolize athletes, singers, dancers, and actors.

Do you believe this will change? If so, what will be the driving force? Since blacks buy more than half of the movie tickets sold in the US, it seems logical that future movies could be the driving influence if they chose to reinforce positive culture.

Meanwhile, Chitlin Culture is not withering away. It is being reinforced and glamorized.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:16 PM

45,322 posts, read 26,898,300 times
Quote:
This is not unique to black culture.

You think the Kardashians are the brains of white culture? TMZ is not on TV everyday sharing gossip news about the new upcoming scientist.

What you want can be inspiring, but boring to watch on a regular basis... much more interesting in real life. Maybe stop paying attention to pop culture...

Old 05-24-2022, 04:29 PM

19,583 posts, read 9,117,631 times
Quote:
Here is the deal. You can mock White underclass culture. In fact, White people (especially the educated, upper middle class Whites) mock underclass White people all the time. Most people are not going to view the White underclass as indicative of White culture. However, ghetto underclass culture gets pushed as THE Black culture. And Black people tend to get judged based on the lowest common denominator within the Black population. People like me really don't want the unsavory elements of the Black population being given any popularity or being put on front street. I already have enough to deal with WITHOUT it. Bad enough Black people are looked down on more than any other group.
My view is that Blacks are viewed by Whites according to the Blacks they see and associate with. I think that I am relatively free from bigotry about Blacks because I did not grow up in a high crime, high poverty urban environment. Where I went to school, Blacks were a very small minority and the ones I knew were no different, as far as I could tell, from my other working-class White classmates except for the color of their skin. When I became an adult, I associated with either Black professionals or middle-income workers such as secretaries or salespeople and, again, I saw no difference except for the color of their skin. I have never even known a Black felon or any Black person that I would be afraid to be alone with. (I'm a female.)

But the Blacks I saw on television were almost without exception poor urban Blacks (and later on, many Black rap artists), but these were not the kind of Blacks whom I personally knew. I was able to completely separate one "class" of Blacks from another class of Blacks, just as I was able to separate different classes of Whites. I knew that rich white people existed, but I personally knew only a few of them -- and I knew many more trashy "poor whites" than I did trashy "poor blacks".

All of this is just to say that most people judge others by what they see "from their own window". I think -- and I want to believe -- that most people don't judge an entire group of people by just a few people in that group, but-- unfortunately -- some people do judge everyone in a certain group by a comparatively small percentage of that group.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-24-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 04:57 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,056,875 times
https://youtu.be/4yDZSYO8s2A

Edited down from the original video ( 1 hour+) and heavily rant laden but you'll have to go his IG for the original. At the 7:11 mark is where his commentary really fits this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies