Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 09:01 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Happy you put "sea ports" as a qualifier because only one of those ports, Houston, appears on any list ranking the "busiest ports" in American, and it's only #6 in terms of TEU.

Top Ten measured by TEU. (Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit, the unit of measure used in determining cargo capacity on-board ship and at the port)

1. Port of Los Angeles - >9.2.M TEU in 2020. 20% of all cargo entering the US
2. Port of Long Beach - > 8.1M TEU
3. Ports of NY & NJ - >7.5M TEU
4. Port of Savannah - >4.6M TEU
5. NW Seaport Alliance - Seattle/Tacoma - >3.3M TEU
6. Port Houston - > 2.9M TEU
7. Port of Virginia - > 2.8M TEU
8. Port of Oakland - >2.4M TEU
9. Ports of South Carolina - >2.3M TEU
10. Port Miami - >1M TEU

The ports of Texas are busy to be sure but certainly not irreplaceable.
What's this "total tonnage " terminology mean:

"In 2019, Texas ports ranked first nationwide for total waterborne tonnage handled-- moving nearly 598 million ton of cargo, including 446 million tons of international cargo and 180 million tons of domestic cargo. . . . . . . . Five of the state’s ports are ranked in the top 20 U.S. ports by total tonnage, including:

Port Houston (1st)
Port of Corpus Christi (4th)
Port of Beaumont (5th)
Port of Texas City (16th)
Port of Port Arthur (19th)

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/d...ime/ports.html

Was glad to make you happy anyway.

More:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...sion-continues

"The Port of Houston is now the largest port complex in the US in terms of total tonnage passing through the port. The complex of public and private terminals along the Houston Ship Channel was the busiest U.S. port in 2019 surpassing the Port of South Louisiana, according to data from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Navigation and Civil Works Decision Support Center.

The Texas port ranked first both in terms of total tonnage as well as ranked first for foreign waterborne tonnage and number of vessel transits, in the government compiled statistics. For 24 years, the Port of Houston has been number one in foreign waterborne tonnage and the Houston Ship Channel is the busiest waterway in the nation, handling on average approximately 50 deep water vessels per day"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You and your buddy seem to think that politics is (or should be) the overriding factor in one’s decision to move. You seemingly assume that your priorities on where to live and why to live there should be the same for other people is pretty darn presumptuous. This presumption is, as I said before, hardly a characteristic of what I would say are friendly and welcoming people. Maybe consider that people have all sorts of reason for living in certain places, and their priorities/reason for doing so may not be the same as yours. And if you can acknowledge that is possible/reasonable, maybe you can recognize that some of those people are going to find Abbott to be an ass.

On a related note, the city and area I live in happen to be among the most politically liberal places I have ever lived. I haven’t been in many parts of Texas, but my assumption is that, in like many states, the cities and urban centers lean left, and the more rural parts of the state lean right. Not all politics is state wide or federal. I find myself having plenty of common political/cultural perspectives with the community and city/county politicos. I think it is fair to say they all think Abbott is an ass too.

I'm actually sorry I tried to be nice to you before you sure heck didn't deserve it. Enjoy watching Gov. Ass win by 10 pts.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
The op is a anti American Canadian who hates our country but is snow bird that goes to Florida a very red state its makes no sense!

Old 05-04-2022, 09:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://mexicodailypost.com/2022/05/...rain-corridor/

Gov. Abbott thought he would out Trump the bloviating one himself.

Abbott decided he would cause a huge disruption in USA/Mexico trade by inspecting every truck that came north from Mexico for illegal immigrants or drug smuggling. This despite all of those trucks needed to go through Custom's and Border Patrol screening first.

The ill fated attempt caused a huge loss of economic activity, up to $4 Billion, including exasperating food shortages in Texas stores and beyond. He quickly reversed himself when a backlash occurred.

Now, Mexico is saying they will look at moving the planned USMCA train route from Matzatlan to Winnepeg, Canada, from Texas to New Mexico. That will have a huge negative affect on Texas.

BTW, Abbott's stunt found NO illegal immigrants and NO drugs.

Sometimes conservatives are just too ignorant of what consequences their bullying tactics have.
Importing poor and unskilled illegal aliens hurts the poor people, particularly poor black Americans, the most.

Are you happy about that?

Old 05-04-2022, 10:04 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
It didn't last very long before Abbott had a security deal with four Mexican governors. Pretty big yawn as far as I'm concerned, bunch of petty politics from Democrats.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:26 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
What's this "total tonnage " terminology mean:

"In 2019, Texas ports ranked first nationwide for total waterborne tonnage handled-- moving nearly 598 million ton of cargo, including 446 million tons of international cargo and 180 million tons of domestic cargo. . . . . . . . Five of the state’s ports are ranked in the top 20 U.S. ports by total tonnage, including:

Port Houston (1st)
Port of Corpus Christi (4th)
Port of Beaumont (5th)
Port of Texas City (16th)
Port of Port Arthur (19th)

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/d...ime/ports.html

Was glad to make you happy anyway.

More:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...sion-continues

"The Port of Houston is now the largest port complex in the US in terms of total tonnage passing through the port. The complex of public and private terminals along the Houston Ship Channel was the busiest U.S. port in 2019 surpassing the Port of South Louisiana, according to data from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Navigation and Civil Works Decision Support Center.

The Texas port ranked first both in terms of total tonnage as well as ranked first for foreign waterborne tonnage and number of vessel transits, in the government compiled statistics. For 24 years, the Port of Houston has been number one in foreign waterborne tonnage and the Houston Ship Channel is the busiest waterway in the nation, handling on average approximately 50 deep water vessels per day"

I suspect the discrepancy is because I'm looking at volume and you're looking at weight. The reason I chose volume is because the route in question will be overwhelming carrying 20ft. containers. Is it fair to say most of Houston's port traffic consists of petroleum products that may or may not utilize the USMCA route and distribution points?

Last edited by take57; 05-04-2022 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2022, 10:50 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Heaven forbid trying to stop criminals from illegally entering the country.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:03 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well stated truth! The liberal left and ethnocentrics are such hypocrites. No matter what we do to protect our border they act like it's foolish to do so when in fact they have a vested interest in illegal immigration and don't give a damn how it negatively impacts our own citizens. What an anti-American disgusting lot they are. As you said it's not just the GOP and their base that wants secure borders and rightly so!
What does this have to do with Abbott's stunt? The CPB already screened those trucks. They ARE the exports, and are doing their job.

Abbott was the foolish one.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:04 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i supported abbott's effort to find illegal drugs and persons in trucks by inspecting the trucks at the border. his policy wasn't as good in reality as theory so he changed policy quickly. good on him.

PS. if you don't live in texas, your opinion about our texas governor doesn't matter.
First of all, his storm troopers found nothing. It was a stunt.

Secondly, yes, it affects many way beyond Texas. Do you think the food that rotted that was headed for Ohio doesn't affect them? The food that had to drive through Texas?

Old 05-05-2022, 01:13 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://mexicodailypost.com/2022/05/...rain-corridor/

Gov. Abbott thought he would out Trump the bloviating one himself.

Abbott decided he would cause a huge disruption in USA/Mexico trade by inspecting every truck that came north from Mexico for illegal immigrants or drug smuggling. This despite all of those trucks needed to go through Custom's and Border Patrol screening first.

The ill fated attempt caused a huge loss of economic activity, up to $4 Billion, including exasperating food shortages in Texas stores and beyond. He quickly reversed himself when a backlash occurred.

Now, Mexico is saying they will look at moving the planned USMCA train route from Matzatlan to Winnepeg, Canada, from Texas to New Mexico. That will have a huge negative affect on Texas.

BTW, Abbott's stunt found NO illegal immigrants and NO drugs.

Sometimes conservatives are just too ignorant of what consequences their bullying tactics have.
Bad for us the consumers, but it was a few days and he ended with egg on his face. Bravo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies