Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 01:24 PM

596 posts, read 894,542 times

Advertisements

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...birth-control/

Before you write, "Ha! Mother Jones!? LOL!," please take a moment to know that I'm not putting this article to ask anyone to agree on the content or to argue how reliable the source is. I know most conservatives don't believe this source, and that's fine.

I am putting this article to inform you that this is how this abortion issue is presented to people on the opposite side of political spectrum--people you believe uninformed and stupid.

Quote:
A few weeks ago, I attended the annual conference of the anti-abortion group Heartbeat International. Even though the Supreme Court’s draft decision to overturn Roe v. Wade hadn’t yet been leaked, there was palpable excitement about the growing political momentum behind their cause. They needed only to point to the conservative majority in the Supreme Court, and the success of various “heartbeat bills” in some states that would outlaw abortion after six weeks of gestation. The conference leaders, however, warned that now was not the time to claim victory. After the demise of Roe, there was still much work to be done. “Post-Roe” was the theme of the executive roundtable session, where heads of anti-abortion groups came together to strategize about the next frontier in the movement. Among the attendees, some talked about targeting abortion pills, which are readily available on the internet. Others mused about what it might take to restrict abortion in left-leaning states.
Quote:
In addition to coming up with new strategies for making any abortion impossible in the US, there was a powerful undercurrent pushing a far more ambitious future agenda: expanding the definition of abortion itself to include contraception. Some made allowances for barrier methods like condoms, which prevent fertilization of the egg before there’s an embryo. But others seemed to take issue with the whole idea—they considered anything that thwarted the meeting of sperm and egg to be unchristian. This opposition was not the focus of just a few extreme outliers, either.
Quote:
That enthusiasm was on full display at the conference. On the chat section of the conference app, there was a lively discussion about birth control. Father Frank Pavone, a Catholic priest who has been influential in the anti-abortion movement for decades, observed, “I can tell you that within the pro-life religious circles of pastors that I interact with, across denominational lines the awareness over recent years has greatly increased about how unbiblical contraception is.” Another commenter concurred: “Unbiblical and harmful to women’s bodies.”
I know already you would dismiss this as fake, fearmongering, whatever. But we are talking about, according to you, people who are stupid. Left leaning voters who read this article, would walk away how dire the situation is.

Don't you think this would motivate left leaning voters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 01:30 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post

Before you write, "Ha! Mother Jones!? LOL!," please take a moment to know that I'm not putting this article to ask anyone to agree on the content or to argue how reliable the source is. I know most conservatives don't believe this source, and that's fine.

I am putting this article to inform you that this is how this abortion issue is presented to people on the opposite side of political spectrum--people you believe uninformed and stupid.

I know already you would dismiss this as fake, fearmongering, whatever. But we are talking about, according to you, people who are stupid. Left leaning voters who read this article, would walk away how dire the situation is.

Higher ups in the Roman Catholic Church frown on birth control.

Is this news to anyone?

Apart from propaganda value, it seems irrelevant to the larger discussion the rest of us are having.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:33 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

Yea. Put me on the list that believes the, "article" is near pure contrivance.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:36 PM

So you agree that this is going to motivate left leaning voters? Good! See, this is not so hard, right?

Old 05-05-2022, 01:40 PM

Look at this one too:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...m_campaign=RSS

Again, you don't need to repeat that this is stupid. I know you think so.

Quote:
Republican prosecutors have a modern tool to hunt down those who have abortions: Our phones
For progressives, this is very scary. Things like this will inundate the airwaves and the internet until November.

I would be shocked if this doesn't have any impact.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:41 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
(snip)

I don't think people who think differently from me are stupid. But this article is definitely fear mongering and extremist. I mean, the President is a devout Catholic who supports abortion, right?

There are plenty of media sites out there that spout examples of the evil extremists who are out to do whatever it is we disagree with - and most of the time those fear mongers are wrong.

What is different about this time? Why do they all of a sudden have all the support they need to move their agenda forward? Because of some conservative values on the SC?

And, IMO, it will motivate ALL voters.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I don't think people who think differently from me are stupid. But this article is definitely fear mongering and extremist. I mean, the President is a devout Catholic who supports abortion, right?

There are plenty of media sites out there that spout examples of the evil extremists who are out to do whatever it is we disagree with - and most of the time those fear mongers are wrong.

What is different about this time? Why do they all of a sudden have all the support they need to move their agenda forward? Because of some conservative values on the SC?

And, IMO, it will motivate ALL voters.
The point I wanted to make was that articles like this would motivate left-leaning voters.

I wouldn't agree or disagree that this is extremist.

I was surprised to hear that you think this would motivate both left and right leaning voters. Maybe.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:45 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:

I was surprised to hear that you think this would motivate both left and right leaning voters. Maybe.
Everyone wants to push THEIR agenda. Normal people vote to push theirs.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:49 PM

Here is another one:

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...come-for-next/

Quote:
Former Secretary of State and first lady Hillary Clinton said if the drafted Supreme Court opinion on the landmark Roe v. Wade decision overturns the ruling, “you have no idea who they will come for next.”
At this point, I don't think I have to repeat this again, but I'll say it anyway.

I know you don't trust the source or the person who made this claim. That's not my point here.

But this sort of stories (if you want to call fearmongering, go ahead) would inundate the airwaves and the internet. And it will motivate left leaning voters.

How can it not have impact on the election?

Old 05-05-2022, 02:07 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Here is another one:

[url]https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/3478750-hillary-clinton-on-roe-draft-you-have-no-idea-who-they-will-come-for-next/[/url]

At this point, I don't think I have to repeat this again, but I'll say it anyway.

I know you don't trust the source or the person who made this claim. That's not my point here.

But this sort of stories (if you want to call fearmongering, go ahead) would inundate the airwaves and the internet. And it will motivate left leaning voters.

How can it not have impact on the election?
It can, and it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies