Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:05 AM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times

Advertisements

Well, that's an interesting twist to the 5G saga:

https://newtube.app/user/CitizenofGotham/AHcynrv

Please, actually, WATCH the video, it's only 58 seconds and hear that, not a single 5G phone he ever repaired in Canada, has 5G chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 08:38 AM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
I have a new iPhone 13 Max Pro. It's 5G, and it says it's getting a 5G signal (but not the super 5G or 5G Ultra or 5G+ or whatever it's called - my city doesn't have that yet).

I can't tell any difference in how fast things load compared to my old iPhone, which was 4G LTE. I really don't think there is any difference.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:30 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I think it is a marketing scam.

My wife took a look at my phone the other day and she said that we will need to upgrade it soon. She was surprised it was only 3G but it does everything I want it to so why get rid of it? Of course the powers that be will soon phase out the 3G so I will have no choice, I guess? but how fast does a phone need to be? People are always looking for the new fast shiny object when they should just be making due with what they have that is still working.

5G is all the rage now but what happens next year when 6G comes out?

Old 05-15-2022, 09:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
There really is such thing as 5G, (6G and all the way up!)

Its said that when we reach 9G, is when we start seeing 'sci fi' type technology, like teleportation, and stuff like that, but we wont reach 9G capability for many decades. probably not in my lifetime.

The difference between 4G and 5G is very very small, not even noticeable to the human senses.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:42 AM

27,160 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Its said that when we reach 9G, is when we start seeing 'sci fi' type technology, like teleportation, and stuff like that, but we wont reach 9G capability for many decades. probably not in my lifetime.

The difference between 4G and 5G is very very small, not even noticeable to the human senses.
Think of the gas savings!

....and;

"If you or a loved one have been molecularly disfigured by the use of a 9G phone call Shyster & Shyster to obtain legal representation...."

Old 05-15-2022, 11:50 AM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

There's 5G+ (that's what AT&T calls it - don't know about Verizon and others) that's a lot faster than regular 5G/4G, but it's not widely available yet; just in portions of large cities. That's the one that was delayed a while because of potential interference with aircraft instruments. I think it costs extra where it's available, but it'll likely be the standard everywhere once the towers across the country are upgraded. I think it's at the GB level.

What I have now suits my needs/desires. At least for the moment.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:12 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
I notice absolutely no difference between the 4G I had and the 5G I now have. Except the phone cost more.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Please, actually, WATCH the video, it's only 58 seconds and hear that, not a single 5G phone he ever repaired in Canada, has 5G chip.
Sigh...how could a phone have something that never existed?

There's no such thing as a "5G chip" for the same reason there was no such thing as a "4G chip" or a "3G chip" or a "2G chip" or a "1G chip."

You got hood-winked because your understanding of science is so kindergarten.

5G refers to the network, not the phone and certainly not a chip.

The original network was 1G. That's a problem. Why?

Well, if you were still on the 1G network, you wouldn't be able to use your phone. Okay, you would be able to use it, but only at 3:00 AM when no one else is using their phone, except other people would have the same idea and try to talk at 3:00 AM so you wouldn't be able to use your phone.

Why? Access.

The frequencies started to get real crowded real fast.

The solution was FDMA or Frequency Division Multiple Access where a frequency was subdivided to allow more users.

But that got crowded real fast so another solution was needed. That was TDMA or Time Division Multiple Access.

You're not talking 100% of the time. Your normal speech pattern plus response times between you and the other party create time gaps, even if those gaps are just milliseconds.

Your speech is converted from analog to digital then sent across the frequency as a time packet.

If you could "see" a frequency -- and frequencies have band lengths -- and then see just 1 meter of a frequency, you'd see 100 conversations all chunked up into time packets flowing along.

At the other end where the other party is, your time packet has a prefix code which is decoded and then converted from digital back to analog.

The 2G network was CDMA. Only Sprint users had that. Everyone else was using GSM which is FTMDA or Frequency/Time Division Multiple Access.

CDMA was military technology: Code Division Multiple Access. It's 100% digital. I used to NESTOR and VINSON systems because I was doing the nuclear thing and it's not really cool to broadcast to the entire world that your Chinook carrying a 20 kt nuclear warhead is on fire and about to crash.

CDMA is inherently secure, because the operand is "code" and your digital voice packet gets a random code prefix that only the end-user equipment knows.

The 1G network operated on the same frequencies as portable land-lines, basically 800 MHz to 1800 MHz.

2G was on the 2100 MHz band and so was 3G which allowed you to use data.

Problem was the frequencies were getting crowded with users and those users were sending lots of data.

That necessitated 4G which uses frequencies in the GHz range.

The problem is users are increasing in number and they're using more data 'cause they're streaming stupid Useless Tube videos.

It costs $1.7 Million to lay 1 mile of fiber optic cable in urban areas. The cost decreases as you move out to rural areas to about $600,000 per mile.

I'm just guessing you don't wanna pay $1,400/month for cell phone service.

A more elegant solution is to broadcast from urban areas to a base station, and then the base station runs right into Netflix, or Hulu or Amazon and everything else.

But, microwave bands are cigar-shaped and the bands you're using now are really wide.

On an urban roof-top of an office building, you could only put 2 or maybe 3 transceivers, because you can let the bands overlap. That would cause interference.

The new transceivers use bands that have narrow beams, plus the atmosphere attenuates the beam making it very narrow. You could probably space those transceivers 6 feet apart no problem, which means you can put more on roof-tops and cell towers.

Anyway, there's no chip, but there is a cell phone architecture. That's why 1G and 2G phones don't work and 3G phones are soon not to work, because those frequencies will not be in use by service providers.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:20 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sigh...how could a phone have something that never existed?

There's no such thing as a "5G chip" for the same reason there was no such thing as a "4G chip" or a "3G chip" or a "2G chip" or a "1G chip."

You got hood-winked because your understanding of science is so kindergarten.

5G refers to the network, not the phone and certainly not a chip.

The original network was 1G. That's a problem. Why?

Well, if you were still on the 1G network, you wouldn't be able to use your phone. Okay, you would be able to use it, but only at 3:00 AM when no one else is using their phone, except other people would have the same idea and try to talk at 3:00 AM so you wouldn't be able to use your phone.

Why? Access.

The frequencies started to get real crowded real fast.

The solution was FDMA or Frequency Division Multiple Access where a frequency was subdivided to allow more users.

But that got crowded real fast so another solution was needed. That was TDMA or Time Division Multiple Access.

You're not talking 100% of the time. Your normal speech pattern plus response times between you and the other party create time gaps, even if those gaps are just milliseconds.

Your speech is converted from analog to digital then sent across the frequency as a time packet.

If you could "see" a frequency -- and frequencies have band lengths -- and then see just 1 meter of a frequency, you'd see 100 conversations all chunked up into time packets flowing along.

At the other end where the other party is, your time packet has a prefix code which is decoded and then converted from digital back to analog.

The 2G network was CDMA. Only Sprint users had that. Everyone else was using GSM which is FTMDA or Frequency/Time Division Multiple Access.

CDMA was military technology: Code Division Multiple Access. It's 100% digital. I used to NESTOR and VINSON systems because I was doing the nuclear thing and it's not really cool to broadcast to the entire world that your Chinook carrying a 20 kt nuclear warhead is on fire and about to crash.

CDMA is inherently secure, because the operand is "code" and your digital voice packet gets a random code prefix that only the end-user equipment knows.

The 1G network operated on the same frequencies as portable land-lines, basically 800 MHz to 1800 MHz.

2G was on the 2100 MHz band and so was 3G which allowed you to use data.

Problem was the frequencies were getting crowded with users and those users were sending lots of data.

That necessitated 4G which uses frequencies in the GHz range.

The problem is users are increasing in number and they're using more data 'cause they're streaming stupid Useless Tube videos.

It costs $1.7 Million to lay 1 mile of fiber optic cable in urban areas. The cost decreases as you move out to rural areas to about $600,000 per mile.

I'm just guessing you don't wanna pay $1,400/month for cell phone service.

A more elegant solution is to broadcast from urban areas to a base station, and then the base station runs right into Netflix, or Hulu or Amazon and everything else.

But, microwave bands are cigar-shaped and the bands you're using now are really wide.

On an urban roof-top of an office building, you could only put 2 or maybe 3 transceivers, because you can let the bands overlap. That would cause interference.

The new transceivers use bands that have narrow beams, plus the atmosphere attenuates the beam making it very narrow. You could probably space those transceivers 6 feet apart no problem, which means you can put more on roof-tops and cell towers.

Anyway, there's no chip, but there is a cell phone architecture. That's why 1G and 2G phones don't work and 3G phones are soon not to work, because those frequencies will not be in use by service providers.

Oh, all that wisdom from enlightened poster (as we are all kindergarten level) - and it's total bunk.
Why?
Well, here you are:
Qualcomm intros new super-fast 5G chips for lower-cost devices

Qualcomm on Tuesday introduced a trio of 5G chips -- and a 4G variant -- for inexpensive smartphones, as the chip giant aims to get super-fast connectivity into as many user hands as possible.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/qua...-cost-devices/

As for the several "I have 5G phone" posters here, did you open it and does it actually HAVE 5G chip inside? As it can show on display, you have 25G, matter of few extra pixels in OS. ARE THERE ACTUAL CHIPS INSIDE?

Old 05-16-2022, 04:34 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is a marketing scam.

My wife took a look at my phone the other day and she said that we will need to upgrade it soon. She was surprised it was only 3G but it does everything I want it to so why get rid of it? Of course the powers that be will soon phase out the 3G so I will have no choice, I guess? but how fast does a phone need to be? People are always looking for the new fast shiny object when they should just be making due with what they have that is still working.

5G is all the rage now but what happens next year when 6G comes out?

It sounds like you and I may have the same type phone (mine is an Iphone 6S). I use Tracfone for my service and according to their website, my phone will still work but will continue to use LTE as it does now.

I only use my phone for calls, texts and checking the Sox score or stocks. I never use it for streaming - I have a TV, Laptop and tablets for that. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When I eventually do break down and buy a new one, it will be from the Apple Refurbished store as all my Apple devices have been. Same accessories and same warranty as the new ones but save hundreds of dollars. Never have I had an issue with a refurb product purchased directly from Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies