Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:19 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hey, what can we say? Some people want to see rigor in our educational systems, some people don't. You seem to fall into the latter camp. How you people can possibly think that this is going to end well I can't imagine, but it looks like this is where we're at these days.
The typical lefty agenda, do some things like lowering standards, calling math racist and a white construct all under the guise of "equity"

We've gotten to a really stupid poorly thought out place in this country or it's a nefarious attempt to dumb people down and get them reliant on the government. So many things the progressive left wants to do when taken to their logical ends causes nothing but a disaster. How this isn't obvious is beyond me.

I'd say that knowing the Marxist left and their desire to stamp out the family unit, religion and replace it with the government, I'd say it's probably nefarious, all under the guise of "helping" people of course.

When the government is excessively worried about safety and equity and insert all of other garbage buzzwords, I'd it's say it's time to buckle up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 07:55 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
No, they're lowering admissions standards, is what we're talking about.
I can understand where you’re coming from; I don’t agree with it, either. That said, there are several top-tiered law schools which already accept the GRE or LSAT. Then there is the new undergraduate program which has been developed - presumably to take its place, in a sense, in terms of predicting law school success.

My (main) point being, it does not lower the standard of the law-school program in and of itself, particularly relative to the top-tiered law schools, nor the Bar - for that matter. Hence the reason one is not relevant to the other. Keep in mind the admissions process extends far beyond the LSAT (and always has) - again, relative to the top-tiered schools.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Hey, what can we say? Some people want to see rigor in our educational systems, some people don't. You seem to fall into the latter camp. How you people can possibly think that this is going to end well I can't imagine, but it looks like this is where we're at these days.
What you think you see is that all qualifications are dropped. That is not what is happening, and don't forget, law schools have limited enrollment abilities.

Those with the highest grades will still get preference. And other screening tests will be applied.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What you think you see is that all qualifications are dropped. That is not what is happening, and don't forget, law schools have limited enrollment abilities.

Those with the highest grades will still get preference. And other screening tests will be applied.
Thanks for displaying an extreme level of ignorance on the subject matter.

Law school admissions are limited.

You would have people who have little to no chance of succeeding taking up space resulting in the denial of people who have the best chance.

And all just so you can feel good about yourself.

In Europe, admissions to 4-year universities are limited, which is why only the cream of the cream of the crop who have consistently scored highest on standardized tests from the 4th Grade to the 12th Grade get to go to college for free.

The LSAT is no different than those tests Euro-States use to limit and restrict admissions to 4-year universities to the best of the best.

When you start ranting about how unfair and unnecessary Euro-State testing is, your position will no longer be hypocritical.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:

Again, what can I say to you? Some people have respect for and place a high value on things like reading comprehension and logic, some don't. I do, you don't. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:33 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Thanks for displaying an extreme level of ignorance on the subject matter.

Law school admissions are limited.

You would have people who have little to no chance of succeeding taking up space resulting in the denial of people who have the best chance.

And all just so you can feel good about yourself.

In Europe, admissions to 4-year universities are limited, which is why only the cream of the cream of the crop who have consistently scored highest on standardized tests from the 4th Grade to the 12th Grade get to go to college for free.

The LSAT is no different than those tests Euro-States use to limit and restrict admissions to 4-year universities to the best of the best.

When you start ranting about how unfair and unnecessary Euro-State testing is, your position will no longer be hypocritical.
You seem to have ignored most of what I wrote. See bolded.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:54 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Still amazed at the number of people who are having conniptions of altered ENTRANCE exams, and none express any concerns about those exams that really matter... the EXIT ones and Bar ones.
See post #28. As noted therein, the law school graduate pool is oversaturated as it is. The last thing the law school and legal employment market needs is one less barrier to entry.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:16 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
As noted therein, the law school graduate pool is oversaturated as it is. The last thing the law school and legal employment market needs is one less barrier to entry.
In terms of top-tiered law schools, the ‘barrier’ remains the same; the acceptance rate is five to ten percent, as a whole. It does not translate to widening the entrance gate.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:22 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Still amazed at the number of people who are having conniptions of altered ENTRANCE exams, and none express any concerns about those exams that really matter... the EXIT ones and Bar ones.
IF there are enough spots for everyone who wants in, i would not have any problem with admitting those who score low. But if that is NOT the case, then some people are taking spots that could have gone to someone who had a better chance of graduating.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:45 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
standards are white supremacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies