Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 06:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The only reason to dumb down the LSAT is to force unqualified people into the profession. What a farce. These people will, in great numbers, flunk the various state bar exams and never practice law.

Until...there is a demand to dumb down the bar exam. That's how it works!
And there already is such demand.
Quote:
The racial gap in bar exam pass rates got worse in 2021
May 2 (Reuters) - New data from the American Bar Association highlighting racial disparities in bar exam pass rates could add fuel to ongoing debates over the fairness of the attorney licensing test and whether it should be reformed.

The national first-time pass rate for white J.D. graduates who took the bar exam in 2021 was 85%—24 percentage points higher than the 61% first-time pass rate among Black law graduates, according to ABA figures released Monday.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/legali...21-2022-05-02/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 08:16 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yup, like clockwork.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:45 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It is an accurate predictor of student success in college and always has been.

There would be no controversy about SATs, LSATs, ACTs, etc. if they didn't all predict 1 ethnic group will do worse in college than other ethnic groups. That they are accurate is not enough to save them.
But it's not an accurate predictor. Some just don't test well. It doesn't mean they don't have the smarts though. My daughter took a SAT prep course in high school and failed. So of course she did horrible in the actual SAT. Tests just aren't the strong point of many. She went to our community college and then transferred to a state college where she graduated with honors and is now an early childhood education teacher.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But it's not an accurate predictor. Some just don't test well. It doesn't mean they don't have the smarts though. My daughter took a SAT prep course in high school and failed. So of course she did horrible in the actual SAT. Tests just aren't the strong point of many. She went to our community college and then transferred to a state college where she graduated with honors and is now an early childhood education teacher.
We're talking about the LSAT here. It's not a good predictor of what? The LSAT tests reading comprehension and logic skills. I guess those aren't things that you value?

Old 05-07-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
We're talking about the LSAT here. It's not a good predictor of what? The LSAT tests reading comprehension and logic skills. I guess those aren't things that you value?
I was responding to a poster that brought up the SAT's.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I was responding to a poster that brought up the SAT's.
Well, that tests reading comprehension and math. I guess those aren't things that you value, either.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:07 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
You are lucky. I am in my twenties, so I have another 60+ years of this crap. Just imagine the destruction when "diversity-only" hires are designing bridges, designing skyscrapers, practicing law, practicing medicine, and running for Vice President (Whoops, already happened! )...

The future looks bleak, and I am very much a "glass half full" kind of guy...
Indeed. This will not end well. The incoming behavioral wave that tosses all reason aside in favor of kissing up to minorities and assuaging the overwhelming guilt that's a hallmark of guilt-riddled "liberals" only makes things worse. But when guilt is your number one personality trait, you will never ever be able to see this.

Pitiful.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, that tests reading comprehension and math. I guess those aren't things that you value, either.
My daughter has a math disability. She also couldn't read until 2nd grade. She's just one of many like her who have to learn a different way. They may not test well but they are by no means stupid. So, no I don't value tests because it lumps everyone into the same category, when not everyone is the same.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
My daughter has a math disability. She also couldn't read until 2nd grade. She's just one of many like her who have to learn a different way. They may not test well but they are by no means stupid. So, no I don't value tests because it lumps everyone into the same category, when not everyone is the same.
I don't know, I just don't see anything pernicious about these tests. They test basic academic subjects/academic skills, things that I think are pretty important. Sadly, many in our society seem to be thinking otherwise.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
I don't know why a bunch of non-lawyers have their panties in a knot about what a professional standards organization is suggesting for admittance to educational studies for those that want to become members.

The lawyers know best how to screen. The rest of us don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies