Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oil prices? It's their oil, they don't need any reason to raise prices, they can just do it!

But it's KNOWN they've sponsored radical Islamic schools with state money and a West Point study found Saudi Arabia a source of both funds and men for tyhe Iraq insurgency.

I don't think their back stabbing ways have anything to do with oil prices, it's just who they are.
Kuwait is our friend, right? Brother where art thou???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Did the Saudi Royal family support renegade son, Bin Laden, and his Al Qeida clan so their attack on 9/11 would draw us into a war knowing it would drive up the price of crude and paralyze our country?

Since entering the war with Iraq the price of crude has made a steep trajectory from $30 to now $135 per barrel. Pump prices for unleaded leaped from $1.40 to $4.20 in six years.

Now as diesel moves past $5 per gallon our country is at risk of unraveling.
Our own people are now pointing the finger at each other and the more fortunate are blaming the less fortunate and vice versa.

We're taking our eye off the ball. We need to beat them at their own game. Short-term we need to drill more wells. Oklahoma wanted to take closed down chemical plants, military bases, and abandoned manufacturing facilities and build refineries. They have the train hubs, the support of the people, but the government told them NO! We must say YES!

Europe has small turbo diesel 2-person cars. Our Department of Transportation says they don't meet their safety standards. Too bad. Let the people decide. Reclassify light vehicles as a separate class like motorcycles. I want to have the FREEDOM to decide if I want to drive a 80 mpg diesel Smart Car. I don't want the oil companies, their lobbyists, and the politicians they have in their pockets selecting what crummy options I am allowed to have for my own good.

We need to become energy independent. We could use NAFTA and forge a North American energy alliance with Mexico and Canada. It could be in all our best interests. It's

time to tell the Middle East we're in charge. Tell them if they don't deliver us Bin Laden we will immediately stop shipping them our food and other goods. Let them grow their own food in the sand.
I think you are on the right track but I don't think that was exactly it. One of the things about Iraq was that it was a nation with oil that was not a part of OPEC. They chose instead to market their own oil and we were not getting much of it. The French on the other hand had wonderful food for oil programs in place with Iraq, so they were getting cheaper oil prices without the involvement of OPEC. So now that cat is out of the bag and everyone may understand a little better why France was so dead set against the war. But I do think it was a fabricated war meant to draw one of OPEC's last hold outs into the fold. Even if that wasn't the direct reason for the war, it has certainly turned out to be a good thing for the oil cartel. And don't be discouraged from your free thinking by folks handing this off as conspiracy theory. I see the same ones on every thread where the subject matter is different and possibly upsetting. No one wants to think that we have not been told the whole truth, so they kick to the side and call it conspiracy theory. Why its so hard to believe I don't know, seeing as how it has been proven we were lied to about WMD's as a pretense for the war. Why is it so hard for people to believe that that is not the only falsehood we have been fed. Keep digging Lincolnian, keep digging!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Default In case we forgot

After 911 it was stated that Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks. And I believe that out of the terrorists, something like 15 were from Saudi Arabia. But they are our pals, right.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well the americans that blewup the federal build in Oklahoma are exactly typical oklahomans etiher. No r are the french exactly liking of american power in teh world. Allies are really strange bedfellows afterall. Iraq was never our ally either has you might suggest. Each country usually has alot of interest that differ with ours but that has always been true.As to Bin laden there is evdience that he was offered up during the clinton administration but they failed to see waht they would be getting becasue they had taken the stance that the first bombing of the world trade buildings was a law enforcement problem.It is just a fact that we are a reactionary society as you can see from the election in which the economy is the top issue were the war was a year ago.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
After 911 it was stated that Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks. And I believe that out of the terrorists, something like 15 were from Saudi Arabia. But they are our pals, right.
Yes, and right wing media groups were regularly mixing both issues in afghanastan and iraq, along with bush and his statements mixing up, to the point where the average citizen was under the assumption that bush was bringing us into iraq due to terrorist attack in ny.

Independent polls showed that 60%+ of americans were believing, based on news accounts, that saddam hussein was responsible for 911. It was completely untrue.
This statistic didn't get posted until AFTER the active campaigning of american statemen was going on, so congress was getting an earful from both sides (constituents and exec). Tony blairs info was predicated upon bush intelligence from what I was able to gleen on cspan coverage of parliament sessions. Difficult to hear that accent sometimes, and they can tend to shout over one another, but I listened very hard for the evidence generated from their own sources and I could find none. He was repeating bush.

Bush saw iraq as threat why? haughty defiance of americas will imposed on iraq was international embarrassment, or he felt that terrorist activity was potentially going to thrive there in future using his amatuer psychic power- well, he made his own future, or should I say ours, since he did it in our name.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
I agree with you that we need to become energy independent and not dependent on their oil. Our country is rich in resources, capital, and productivity. We need to focus our war on terror as freeing ourselves from relying on closed foreign governments that are used to exerting control over their own people and have little tolerance for western views.
We agree on this sentiment, but disagree on your title to the thread.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM

8 posts, read 10,663 times
it's a little far feched for me to belive. saud is one of our biggest alies and has soldiers in Iraq and is a harbor for our soldiers.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
It is frightening how uniformed people are. Google people, it is your friend.

You think fuel prices are bad? Historically, they're not - and we've graphed it | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
I disagree. Our president was already in office and it was widely known that he was interested in taking care of the Iraqi situation. I'm sure the attackers knew that our country would not just sit back and let the 9/11 attackers actions slide without a response.

It was well publicized that the attackers intended to cripple our financial institutions and shake our confidence. Although our stock market bounced back it's more than a mere coincidence that our dollar started its steep decent after 9/11. Our Fed had to drop interest rates to near zero to spur business investment and attempt to create jobs which were at a stand still even before 9/11. The post 9/11 events have hit the US even harder than other prosperous nations since we have experienced the biggest shock from the rising price of oil due to the falling dollar. China and India's strength and accelerating economies have been aided by US companies moving off shore as operating costs rise here due to higher input costs paid for with weaker dollars. This has increased our people's reliance on cheap imported goods and accelerated the sale of US assets to these same foreign producers.

Meanwhile, the oil-producing nations get richer as the redistribution occurs.
Well I am sure they knew what our reaction would be since the first time they blew up the Trade Center we destroyed a whole aspirin factory.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
In answer to your title, absolutely not. The perpetrators had no way of knowing our response.

This is in tin foil territory.

Ahh, you beat me to it. I was going to say the real purpose was to drive up the price of tin foil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies