Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 01:18 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm with you there. They have already Screwed up Detroit. Philly, LA, Portland, SF, Seattle, DC, ST. Louis, Minneapolis, why would any one want them controlling your city or state.
...plus Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, Memphis, Milwaukee, & Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 02:10 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I don't see much impact in migration trends. If someone has the ability to move to a different state, then they most likely have the ability to travel to a different state to have an abortion performed.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:11 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
If your decision to move to another state is based on abortion laws, you must live in a mobile trailer because abortion laws could change willy nilly.

Housing, cost of living, schools, career field, retirement, family ties, goals, weather, etc. are far more important factors.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:45 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
My feelings won't be hurt if less dems move to my state.
i cringe whenever i see New Jersey plates in my state. talk about insane and obnoxious people…

Old 05-09-2022, 02:46 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People are choosing locations more for political reasons and less for purely economic reasons right now. One can relocate in the same state or move to a politically equivalent state. E.g. a die-hard Democrat from California is more likely to end up in Nevada or Colorado than Texas, while the disaffected California Republican would move to Texas or Florida first.

Generalizing what I believe is a change in the trend here based on observation, so don't bother pulling out graphs or whatever, if you're inclined to do that sort of thing. I won't care. Just fyi.
I lived in Las Vegas/Sinless city for 22 years, a city that's always been conservative, run by DINO's, and with the conservative Californians that have moved there, quite the opposite, it's made Las Vegas even more stinkingly conservative, which is why I left there 4 years ago, for the Blue Island of the SW, Tucson.

Over the 22 years there, oh Lord, just the hint of raising taxes, they scream and howl, except, if it's for more police protection. They wouldn't even fund a light rail line. And not even an Art Museum in that city, last big city to have one.

And then there's abortion pills you can buy online. And a flight to San Diego and a light rail train to Tijuana.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:04 AM

50,285 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I thought liberal utopias paid for everyone!!! Anyone who is planning to have an abortion, and I guess millions of women are planning to get abortions, can move to NYC.

Has the NYC mayor welcomed them yet like he did the LGBTQ? Offering a free abortion with residency?
An idea to bring in some tourist economy vs "forced mask wearing". Stay the weekend and an abortion is free. You still must wear a mask.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:54 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You’ve got it backwards about the forcing.

If you think abortion is wrong, then don’t have one.

No one is forcing you to have one.

If some other woman wants to have one, that shouldn’t be your nor anyone else’s business.

A pro-choice person is only going to care about finger wagging disapproval if that disapproval is manifested by restricting access.

That's fine for reptiles, but I'm not a reptile and I don't care to go through life acting like one.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:46 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

Just as an example, Florida could become a swing state again if the social conservatives go too far. That's fatal for the right at the national level.
Florida has a 15 week ban which seems reasonable. I don't believe they are going to do more than that.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:01 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Promise? Somehow I doubt it. You guys will never just accept that some places don’t agree with you. You always must force it on everyone if you can.
Force? No one forces a person to choose termination of a pregnancy but what the existing law does allow is that a "choice" is available to those who want it.

The only forcing I see is the draconian measures being applied to this "choice" with the potential to be completely removed if the RvW is overturned. Some states are going as far as proposing charges of murder if someone chooses termination.

Now who is forcing whom again?

Old 05-09-2022, 05:04 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Now who is forcing whom again?
No one. Citizens will either like their states rules, or move to a state they like. W/O anyone stopping them from moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies