Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 12:31 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
About 30+ years ago I saw a documentary of how veal was raised. They put baby calves in a tight pen so they couldn't walk and stuck a feeding tube down their throat that trickled skim milk into their bellies to fatten them up and keep their muscles from developing to keep the flesh tender, then slaughtered them when they achieved a certain weight. I never ate veal again.

It is kind of ironic. I spent several summers helping on a family veal farm and I never saw anything like that movie you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 04:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I would not say this is bad but since Aunt Jemima, land O lakes and Uncle bens changed their logo I won't buy their products any more.
Why?

Old 05-11-2022, 06:24 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Veal is pretty delicious. Makes regular beef feel downright lame in comparison. I rarely eat it (because it's not easily available in this country), but I'd love to eat more of it. I mean people eat lamb right? That's a juvenile sheep, and I doubt the farmers raising that are any more concerned about animal welfare than any other farmers.

With regard to the question in this - not really in the realm of food. I've given up entertainment outlets and media sources due to things I found intolerable about them, but most food producers aren't really likely to offend me in a significant way.
So you are outraged by certain entertainment and media outlets and will give them up, but you're not offended at all by people who torture animals so you can have a delicious meal?

Old 05-11-2022, 08:29 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Why?
Because I think changing their log was ridiculous. Their original logos have been that way forever and now all of a sudden it's racist? Give me a break. Don't even get me started on the name change for the Cleveland Indians.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:45 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Averages and statistics don't mean much to the calves. Think about a half million calves squeezed in a box pen, never walking, living in their own waste with a tube stuck down their throats dripping skim milk their whole lives. I think any veal is too much if that's the way it's raised. Now if there were free range veal, that would be a different story.
Suspecting that a second-hand report of a film made over 30 years ago might not be the best representation of actual veal raising, I looked up some websites. I recommend anyone interested do the same. It appears to be true that most veal calves are raised indoors in pens, but not true that they are isolated, unable to move, standing in their own waste, and fed by tube.

It is a short life for the calf; they are slaughtered at about 5 months old, which sounds sad. On the other hand, we have a large dairy industry in the US and there is no need for a half million more male dairy calves per year. They aren't going to grow up to give milk, they aren't beef cattle, and we only need a few bulls. If we let all those calves live out their lives they would be needlessly taking up space and resources, so the alternative to raising them for veal would be killing them at birth.

People have the right to their own opinions. I personally have no problem with animals being raised for food as long as they are treated reasonably humanely while alive. It does seem to me that it is pointless to shun veal unless you are also shunning dairy products; those two go hand in hand.

Last edited by saibot; 05-11-2022 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:33 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is kind of ironic. I spent several summers helping on a family veal farm and I never saw anything like that movie you are referring to.
Family veal farm vs. corporate farm. Different operation.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:38 AM

Here's a more recent video of the same information. Watch it. Now how do you know which type of treatment your veal dinner came from? To see it on youtube click on the link at the bottom of the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82jTI3BqRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Suspecting that a second-hand report of a film made over 30 years ago might not be the best representation of actual veal raising, I looked up some websites. I recommend anyone interested do the same. It appears to be true that most veal calves are raised indoors in pens, but not true that they are isolated, unable to move, standing in their own waste, and fed by tube.

It is a short life for the calf; they are slaughtered at about 5 months old, which sounds sad. On the other hand, we have a large dairy industry in the US and there is no need for a half million more male dairy calves per year. They aren't going to grow up to give milk, they aren't beef cattle, and we only need a few bulls. If we let all those calves live out their lives they would be needlessly taking up space and resources, so the alternative to raising them for veal would be killing them at birth.

People have the right to their own opinions. I personally have no problem with animals being raised for food as long as they are treated reasonably humanely while alive. It does seem to me that it is pointless to shun veal production unless you are also shunning dairy products; those two go hand in hand.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-11-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:56 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Here's a more recent video of the same information. Watch it. Now how do you know which type of treatment your veal dinner came from?
I already mentioned that I have never had veal, but thanks very much for your concern.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I already mentioned that I have never had veal, but thanks very much for your concern.
Just addressing your skepticism about my second hand report of a 30 year old film. Thought you might want to see a more up to date one for yourself, to judge for yourself if the animals are being treated reasonably humanely, as you said. But maybe not.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Family veal farm vs. corporate farm. Different operation.
Or it could be a staged film like the Food Lion/ABC video where the ABC employees repackaged meat while their fellow ABC employee filmed.

Or the PETA video where their people filmed other PETA members as farm employees abusing pigs on a farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies