Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 07:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

You may know that Christian evangelicals used to be pro-choice. They had no problem with abortion. Apparently even Billy Graham was fine with it.

Now, just happened to see Christiane Amanpour interviewing a guy named Frank Schaeffer. I've never heard of him, but he supposedly was instrumental, as a young man, in pushing pro-choice evangelicals to flip to anti-abortion fanatics, partly because he was randomly looking for a project, trying to earn money. And he now very much regrets it and is open about saying so.

From the interview:
"I look back on what I did in my youth maybe the way I guess some people would at wartime experiences or political experiences maybe in the 1930s in Europe, if they had joined one of the fascist parties, lived to see it play out in a World War and what happened. I feel much that level of regret and culpability...
Now, I have to be honest, and it saddens me, that, at the time, it was also the idea of another paycheck...
If this group of people was pro-life, and actually were consistent in their pro-life position, you could have some admiration for them, while disagreeing on the matter of choice. But they are an anti-family group of people who put the welfare of billionaires in this country ahead of children, ahead of women, ahead of poor people, ahead of families. They’re not even for paid parental leave. They’re not for the child tax credit. They do nothing for children in terms of schools and education."

Video and transcript:
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-an...4-2022-jnk3ps/

Also:

Man Who Started Anti-Abortion Movement Horrified by Roe v. Wade Ruling
"The USA is going to be the Christian version of Iran."
https://www.newsweek.com/frank-schae...turned-1703425

I Was An Anti-Abortion Leader On The Religious Right: I’m Pro-Choice Now.
https://frankschaefferblog.com/2020/...-%E2%80%A8now/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 07:42 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,159 times
Quote:
Billy Graham once said, “I know it’s common today to think of abortion as a simple answer to an inconvenient problem—but it is actually a far more serious issue. Your child isn’t simply a mass of tissue; he or she is a human being in God’s eyes.”
https://billygraham.org/story/billy-...s-on-abortion/

Old 05-09-2022, 07:53 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
i am aware of the neo-fascist evangelicals hypocrisy, and i think they are now at their peak power and their influence will now decline

Old 05-09-2022, 08:14 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
God is pro life, otherwise He wouldn't have bothered with any of us.

Psalm 22:10 - Upon You I was cast from birth;
You have been my God from my mother’s womb.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:30 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You may know that Christian evangelicals used to be pro-choice. They had no problem with abortion. Apparently even Billy Graham was fine with it.

Now, just happened to see Christiane Amanpour interviewing a guy named Frank Schaeffer. I've never heard of him, but he supposedly was instrumental, as a young man, in pushing pro-choice evangelicals to flip to anti-abortion fanatics, partly because he was randomly looking for a project, trying to earn money. And he now very much regrets it and is open about saying so.

From the interview:
"I look back on what I did in my youth maybe the way I guess some people would at wartime experiences or political experiences maybe in the 1930s in Europe, if they had joined one of the fascist parties, lived to see it play out in a World War and what happened. I feel much that level of regret and culpability...
Now, I have to be honest, and it saddens me, that, at the time, it was also the idea of another paycheck...
If this group of people was pro-life, and actually were consistent in their pro-life position, you could have some admiration for them, while disagreeing on the matter of choice. But they are an anti-family group of people who put the welfare of billionaires in this country ahead of children, ahead of women, ahead of poor people, ahead of families. They’re not even for paid parental leave. They’re not for the child tax credit. They do nothing for children in terms of schools and education."

Video and transcript:
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/amanpour-an...4-2022-jnk3ps/

Also:

Man Who Started Anti-Abortion Movement Horrified by Roe v. Wade Ruling
"The USA is going to be the Christian version of Iran."
https://www.newsweek.com/frank-schae...turned-1703425

I Was An Anti-Abortion Leader On The Religious Right: I’m Pro-Choice Now.
https://frankschaefferblog.com/2020/...-%E2%80%A8now/

Rubbish.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i am aware of the neo-fascist evangelicals hypocrisy, and i think they are now at their peak power and their influence will now decline
And what makes you think that?

Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
And what makes you think that?

i fully expect the right to have legislatures try to make more and more narrowing laws,

and given the average Americans knowledge of what their party's support it will drive away a percentage large enough to matter in national elections, when they realize it

Old 05-09-2022, 09:50 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Roe vs Wade is unconstitutional.

Overturning it is not an attack on women.
It is not Christians or Church or pro lifers
turning back the clock on women.

It is about returning the power back to the 50 states
and not the government so that their voters will have
the final decision. Whatever state we live in we must
abide by it's laws. If we don't like where we live we can
move to a state that supports our views. I think that's great.

I worked in New York my whole life and now want
to move to another state that treats retirees better.

People move all over the country for many reasons.
Some for hunting,some for sunshine etc......
Why not include abortion?

Don't let the Politics lie and tell you different.
The government does not want to tell a woman
what to do with her body. It wants the voters and
the states in which they reside to make that decision

Best Wishes............

Old 05-09-2022, 10:14 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Following up...

Removing RvW does nothing on its own. It removes the federal guardrails from states legislating abortion as they see fit.

Removing RvW can allow a state to make abortion illegal... it can also allow states to make abortion legal thru full term.

For the politicians... removing RvW removes the cover that has allowed them allowed make abortion legal without making a legislative vote on record, which then holds them accountable. They have used the cover of the Supreme Court to make abortion legal all over the country for 50 years.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 05-09-2022 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-09-2022, 10:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God is pro life, otherwise He wouldn't have bothered with any of us.

Psalm 22:10 - Upon You I was cast from birth;
You have been my God from my mother’s womb.
So does that mean God approved of the birth of Hitler and Stalin? If so, I wonder if World War II would have been aborted if those two had been aborted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies