Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 11:42 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
My own experience is that the “poor uneducated people” who come here are coming here to work and make a better life for themselves and their families. Sure, some are criminals and deadbeats, but my personal observation is that a lot of these folks want to work, and frankly, are often more industrious and productive then many of the US citizens in comparable positions. It really is no different than the in the past…the first generation immigrants struggle culturally, language-wise, economically, etc. and by the time their grandkids are born and grown (just 2 generations removed), they show no differences in economic/education status than people who are 15th generation Americans.
I have no doubt that many of these poor people want to work and are most likely decent people. I do have a problem with the door being flung open and masses of people coming in illegally.

Those two ideas can coexist as far as I'm concerned.

In the coming years as automation takes over my jobs I'm wondering how all of the low skilled peoplle we have in the country are going to fare?

I'm not worried about my job, I'm in a specialized role and have about 30 years experience, but I'm not so sure about low skilled people and again, when the job market starts to change, what are all of these people going to do for a living?

Old 05-23-2022, 11:47 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why? If they're net contributors I want them here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There's no proof of that $100 billion number, as it is not a number that can be determined.
Medicaid is funded through IRS income tax collections.

In FL alone, there were 34,000 Hispanic Medicaid births in 2019 - the largest of any race group. Now, were all of those illegal aliens? Of course not. Were half of them? Likely. Are they net contributors or drains? Well, you don't get Medicare without being a net drain - your income is below the median.

In all states, the k-12 education system is funded by a combination of Federal (income tax), State (income tax) and local (most likely property tax/school tax add-on to property tax) dollars.

In 2014, ~4MM children of illegal immigrants (8% of total children at that time) were in the K-12 system.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...k-12-students/

in 2019, the average per pupil was $13,200. At 4MM, that would be $53B all by itself.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
There’s a lot of space for negotiation between 55,000 and 4 billion. I don’t know anyone who is serious about immigration reform who would propose a ceiling of 4 billion people. I would think the US could easily absorb up to 1 million people per year…maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.
Then do it in an orderly and legal fashion, you know, like through visas.

The issue i have with these open-border globalists is they think it's perfectly OK to opening our border for 200,000 people each month showing up to our doorstep unannounced.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:52 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Thanks for explaining. How many more legal immigrants a year would benefit to the U.S.? All of them educated and highly skilled, or some of them uneducated and what's called "unskilled?" (I consider roofing and paving roads important work that definitely requires certain skills and knowledge, even if the workers' education level isn't high.) Should learning simple, basic English be a requirement for these additional legal immigrants? We're having a lot of problems in Texas schools with kids who don't or won't learn English and parents who don't encourage or help their children to learn it.

Hope you don't mind my questions, which are genuine and not meant to provoke you.
I don’t know the number, but in another post, I suggested that one million (vs. the 55,000 we are now doing via the Diversity Lottery) sounds reasonable to me….but smarter people than I might say that is too high or too low. I’m certain, however, we can do way more than 55,000.

I’m not incredibly worried about the language issue. True fact….by the time the immigrants who come over (and don’t speak English) have grandchildren in school, only 3% of those kids will be able to speak their grand parents’ native tongue….97% will just know and speak English. I do agree though, that in the short run there are some transitional issues that you described that need to be addressed. I don’t think they are insurmountable, but resources ($$$$) would need to be dedicated to dealing with them.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
Quote:
Very helpful. Another Replacement Theory conspiracist heard from.
The more education a woman has, and the more rights, privileges, and protections she has, and the more secular her environment, the fewer children she'll have. Western white women and Japanese women are a reflection of this fact. They simply don't choose or feel pressured to breed as much as most other women. Thus, other people are going to have proportionately more children. That's unavoidable replacement.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:56 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You make some good points that should be legitimate discussion points, but you know any such discussion will quickly degenerate into memes and half truths. Nobody likes to think in terms of grey anymore, it is always black and white.
since about 3/4 of what tinytrump posts as "facts" is categorically false, it's not worth the time to debunk wild claims like "financed by hedge funds", "families treated poorly trying to get their citizenship", etal.

Anyone that's concerned about LEGAL immigration - that wants it to be better-run or at higher levels - needs to be just as strongly against ILLEGAL immigration. Because we can't dedicate budget to a "better" USCIS until the portion of USCIS/DHS budget that goes to CBP and ICE goes down.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Then do it in an orderly and legal fashion, you know, like through visas.

The issue i have with these open-border globalists is they think it's perfectly OK to opening our border for 200,000 people each month showing up to our doorstep unannounced.
I think we are more or less in agreement. Increase legal immigration to some agreed upon amount and handle it as you suggested. Then work harder to address/limit immigration that comes in (or tries to come in) outside legal channel. I have never met “an open border globalist” who just says let everyone come and go as they please….most people who favor immigration reform want more (not unlimited) legal immigration, and better border controls.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:01 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
I think we are more or less in agreement. Increase legal immigration to some agreed upon amount and handle it as you suggested. Then work harder to address/limit immigration that comes in (or tries to come in) outside legal channel. I have never met “an open border globalist” who just says let everyone come and go as they please….most people who favor immigration reform want more (not unlimited) legal immigration, and better border controls.
have you met canadian poster normstad?

Old 05-23-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
The more education a woman has, and the more rights, privileges, and protections she has, and the more secular her environment, the fewer children she'll have. Western white women and Japanese women are a reflection of this fact. They simply don't choose or feel pressured to breed as much as most other women. Thus, other people are going to have proportionately more children. That's unavoidable replacement.
First, I don’t agree with your premise, but let’s assume that you are correct. And after a couple of generations, those immigrants’ kids are going to act, behave, be educated, have income levels that are nearly identical to those of any other American. They aren’t going to keep having the number of kids consistent with their grandparents generations.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
Quote:
I don’t know the number, but in another post, I suggested that one million (vs. the 55,000 we are now doing via the Diversity Lottery) sounds reasonable to me….but smarter people than I might say that is too high or too low. I’m certain, however, we can do way more than 55,000.

I’m not incredibly worried about the language issue. True fact….by the time the immigrants who come over (and don’t speak English) have grandchildren in school, only 3% of those kids will be able to speak their grand parents’ native tongue….97% will just know and speak English. I do agree though, that in the short run there are some transitional issues that you described that need to be addressed. I don’t think they are insurmountable, but resources ($$$$) would need to be dedicated to dealing with them.
Unfortunately, transitional issues have been continuing here in the Southwest for decades and multiple generations. Tons of money, resources, bi-lingual ed, etc. have been invested in the language problem, which is only worsening. If you're so inclined, check out the Austin, Texas threads about their devolving schools.

Living near the border in a state with a burgeoning illegal population is much more difficult and problematic than people who live elsewhere can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies