Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 02:15 PM

152 posts, read 61,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
LOL. You fools are over 1 century to late to cut off Puerto Rico. Like bringing slaves here for the economy and finally giving former slaves representation. You (meaning your ancestors) should of thought of that before they invaded the island and made them subject to federal jurisdiction with NO representation and forced them to fight and die in every American war since 1917 and made them U.S. citizens. Actions has consequences and time to open up the books sooner or later.

I don't have faith in either politics in the U.S. or the island, so save your breath. The U.S. has more serious issues than P.R. For a country that has a 30 trillion dollar debt and growing, growing inflation, can't control spending, keeps in endless wars and endless occupations and just sent over 50 billion dollars in Ukraine and it's a start next to the other military aid to other countries that are not even U.S. Citizens, I really doubt federal aid to an island of 130 x 35 miles of less than 4 million American citizens is going to break the bank.

I'm not going to talk economics or power in details with people that spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg. The U.S. government never gives stuff for free. They want many things in return for economic global domination. The U.S. fully controls the island and the economy and commerce and it generates 112 billion dollars a year but only gives 4 billion in government aid. If I give 4 billion to control 112 billion and own the whole real estate explain to me how is this a bad 1 sided deal for the U.S. I know a lot you here need remedial math but damn.

If I give you 4 to control 112 and deny you representation to the laws and rules I force upon you to my self benefit and power, how is this negative for me? How does this affect the average Joe in the states?

Save your breath, nothing is going to happen, both governments suck.
So according to you, the US is in a worse state than Puerto Rico and furthermore, the relationship between the two has been detrimental to the latter. Does this mean then that you support independence for Puerto Rico?

Quote:
I feel the same way about giving California back to Mexico. We all can dream. I'm sure many in Hawaii are questioning statehood and the huge tax bill.
The US getting rid of Càlifornia or Puerto Rico gaining independence--which dream do you think has a greater probability of coming true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 02:16 PM

13,446 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
This right here. There's a reason why PR has rejected our offer to be our 51st state since I was a kid, and probably long before that. They know they'll lose their cushy setup they currently have with us.
What offer what this? Tell me the name of the bill and I will show you American b.s. politics and how it died when it got to the Senate.
What "cushy" set up is that? Obey all federal American laws but have ZERO representation? What a great deal.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times
Quote:
What offer what this? Tell me the name of the bill and I will show you American b.s. politics and how it died when it got to the Senate.
What "cushy" set up is that? Obey all federal American laws but have ZERO representation? What a great deal.

I literally just said it. The offer was to become the 51st state. We sold them this crap dream on how they'd benefit more from the US if they joined us. But that would mean a huge crackdown on the corruption in PR's government, paying more taxes, and paying more of their fair share in general. Seeing as PR contributes jack **** to us and takes from us more than they give, as well as the sheer enjoyment of installing corrupt officials like Mayor Yulin-Cruz and others who dropped the ball when the hurricane hit (and that's just one extremely light-heart example) so they live lavishly while the rest of PR struggles, they happily say no each time.

I mean just look at each of your emotion-fueled posts. You're a prime example of why they scream "HELL NO!" each time. God forbid Puerto Rico actually follows law and order that weeds out the corruption you guys have. But hey, if you're cool with half-developed neighborhoods that can barely get electricity to them, while the fat cats in government live lavish lives, then by all means, enjoy!

Old 05-20-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
So according to you, the US is in a worse state than Puerto Rico and furthermore, the relationship between the two has been detrimental to the latter. Does this mean then that you support independence for Puerto Rico?
it depends what is your standard? if its debt and bad spending from the average Joe lenses , then the federal government takes the cake in numbers. Are We at war with Puerto Rico? explain your detrimental relationship comment?

Independence would be impossible legal and politically and that's just staying in the American law and Supreme Court rulings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
The US getting rid of Càlifornia or Puerto Rico gaining independence--which dream do you think has a greater probability of coming true?

More Mexicans moving in California making it more Mexi-Cali will be a reality than Puerto Rico being independent. Which only 4% of the electorate supports it but the most important reason is that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Congress can't take U.S. Citizenship away involuntarily. Double whammy, politically and legally.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You are talking NYC politics, that's another world. That's not the same as politics in the island which they tend to be more conservative on social issues and religion. It would be a purple state. They always had a 2 party competitive system in the island. They understand that bad things happens when 1 party has full control permanently.

Eh, if they were that conservative then they would've supported Trump more. Then again, corrupt officials like Yulin-Cruz did convince a lot the citizens that Trump was bad, so you may have a point there.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I literally just said it. The offer was to become the 51st state. We sold them this crap dream on how they'd benefit more from the US if they joined us. But that would mean a huge crackdown on the corruption in PR's government, paying more taxes, and paying more of their fair share in general. Seeing as PR contributes jack **** to us and takes from us more than they give, as well as the sheer enjoyment of installing corrupt officials like Mayor Yulin-Cruz and others who dropped the ball when the hurricane hit (and that's just one, extremely light-heart example) so they live lavishly while the rest of PR struggles, they happily say no each time.

I mean just look at each of your emotion-fueled posts. You're a prime example of why they scream "HELL NO!" each time. God forbid Puerto Rico actually follows law and order that weeds out the corruption you guys have. But hey, if you're cool with half-developed neighborhoods that can barely get electricity to them, while the fat cats in government live lavish lives, then by all means, enjoy!
I asked you again, do you have the name of the bill? We have corrupt politicians in our American government so you saying a former mayor in Puerto Rico is corrupt doesn't say much to the topic. P.R. has been under American jurisdiction for over 120 years. They learn from the teachers.

How am I emotional? I don't live there or vote there and neither you. So your opinion means nothing. This is between Congress and the people of P.R.. How does that affects you? How does an island of 130 x 35 miles away from mainland with no federal power affects you? You are the one emotional here that wants to strip 3.5 million U.S. citizens out of the U.S. because you don't like a politician or some weird b.s.

but I'm emotional?

Old 05-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Eh, if they were that conservative then they would've supported Trump more. Then again, corrupt officials like Yulin-Cruz did convince a lot the citizens that Trump was bad, so you may have a point there.

So this is a Trump thing? You are making the conservative movement look childish. Yulin was 1 politician that was left that is no longer in power and her party lost power. It's call government diversity like We have here in the U.S. Should We kick out New York because they have AOC. Again, if you are a conservative it's making the movement look bad.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:48 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Let them become independent, & stand on their own 2 feet.

We can no long afford to support PR to the tune of $60B/year

https://www.usaspending.gov/state/puerto-rico/latest

~5% of Americans are on SS Disability

~22% of Peurto Ricans are on SS Disability

Its a massive scam in PR....1 in 5 working age people are on SS Disability...sickening.
But there was some good news:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/21/supr...erto-rico.html

"The court ruled 8-1 that Congress can deny Supplemental Income Security, or SSI, benefits to Puerto Rico residents because they don’t pay all federal taxes."

That would have cost $23 billion over the next 10 years!

SSI is welfare, different than SSDI (not so much when the person (who had worked) cheats the system by not having a disability but getting a doctor to sign off that they do).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...to%20inflation.

"The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to addressing the chronic underfunding of Puerto Rico’s Medicaid program and making affordable, quality health care available to its residents. In September, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) determined that Puerto Rico will permanently receive nearly $3 billion per year in additional federal Medicaid funding, indexed to inflation."

I believe they also get SNAP, and who knows what else. Yep, SNAP: https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/363

Sadly, Medicaid is unable to fund many of the needs in our country, especially with the influx of illegal aliens who use the emergency care loophole for medical care.

We just can't continue to carry so much dead weight. Cut the loose, and they'll figure it out.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I asked you again, do you have the name of the bill? We have corrupt politicians in our American government so you saying a former mayor in Puerto Rico is corrupt doesn't say much to the topic. P.R. has been under American jurisdiction for over 120 years. They learn from the teachers.

How am I emotional? I don't live there or vote there and neither you. So your opinion means nothing. This is between Congress and the people of P.R.. How does that affects you? How does an island of 130 x 35 miles away from mainland with no federal power affects you? You are the one emotional here that wants to strip 3.5 million U.S. citizens out of the U.S. because you don't like a politician or some weird b.s.

but I'm emotional?

Why do you need a bill? It's no secret that the US has offered Puerto Rico statehood many times. If you're such a historian like you claim to be, then you'd know that. You literally went back and forth on that topic with another poster. And please, spare me your BS. The level of corruption in PR is NOTHING compared to the corruption in the US. I won't sit there and act like the US is perfect, but it's not even close. And don't even try to blame the US. We didn't teach you all a damn thing. Because the last time I checked, we don't have an abundance of politicians going missing, families disappearing, and small towns that barely operate on a functional grid for electricity, while their politicians live in giant mansions that overlook the ocean. Even corruption involving money with politicians are on a different scale. You government chose to operate that way and has no desire to change. The US jurisdiction doesn't do a damn thing to influence it in terms of how large of a scale PR operates on.

And so what if I don't live there? I live in America, where such choices would impact me. Hell, they already are impacting me. We have gone above and beyond for PR. What have they done for us? If my tax dollars contribute to the BS we provide them, then you can bet your ass I have a say. And as I literally mentioned in my other comment, Yulin-Cruz was just one, light-heart example. That's not even scratching the surface of the corruption in PR. They allowed people to starve and dehydrate just so they could make Trump look bad. How many bottles of water sat in trucks on those docks? How many t-shirts got made by Yulin-Cruz instead of her showing up to her meeting with FEMA and the Red Cross?

And yeah bud, you're 100% emotional. This response I'm replying back to is proof of it. It's a classic form of rebuttal from most Puerto Ricans for this topic. What's funny is it's always people like you who don't even live there that get so worked up over it.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
So this is a Trump thing? You are making the conservative movement look childish. Yulin was 1 politician that was left that is no longer in power and her party lost power. It's call government diversity like We have here in the U.S. Should We kick out New York because they have AOC. Again, if you are a conservative it's making the movement look bad.

Did I say it was? Look, here's the harsh truth you seem to want to ignore: Trump ran on Conservatism. Trump is the GOP. It was no secret he ran on a Conservative agenda and kept it that way, and PR knew that. And yet they did everything they could do cover their corruption on how the aftermath of the hurricane was handled. And no **** Yulin-Cruz was one person, I was just using her as an example. There are far worse politicians over there. And so what if she and her party no longer in power? That just means she got replaced with another POS and their POS posse.

Also, the level of reaching with your comment is pathetic. Did I say that about NYC? No, I didn't. But let's not act like Puerto Ricans are as Conservative as you claim they are, because they aren't. Whether they're in the US or from PR, they just aren't. Mexicans and Cubans are more Conservative than Puerto Ricans are. Sorry, not sorry.

And I fail to see on how I'm making the Conservative movement look bad. Especially when the same person making that claim acts more Libertarian than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies