Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 06:30 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
And it’s perfectly ok to call any dude with red hair and freckles a leprechaun, or some chick with red hair “The Wendy’s girl” or Pipi Longstocking.
I've never heard anyone get called that. However, I, a Black person, have been called names like "monkey", "chango"(Spanish for "monkey"), Curious George, "Memin Pinguin", etc. And I didn't like it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Think the Obama administration and Roseanne Barr's comment.
"Monkey" or some other primate has often been used as an insult towards Black people for a very long time. And not just in America.

Quote:
Seriously, with Biden as POTUS...........
I'm viewing threads like this based on what I've seen going back as far as 2008.

Quote:
Ah, one of the Dem issues that I see is "benefiting me", not "benefiting the country". You probably aren't old enough to really remember President Kennedy, but I remember the speech, even as a little girl "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." That was the old style Democratic Party to which my family was loyal

That quote didn't stop people from eventually rioting. Try is Kennedy did, I look at the way things are based on American history, and everyday interactions. I realize that we've always been a divided society and many individuals are out for themselves. This is not limited to Democrats. Plenty of Republicans think this way.

I was born in 1986. I wasn't alive for the Kennedy administration.

Quote:
I'll have to agree with you on the issue of the postings about black people here on the forum. I am not black, but I get fed up with it as it turns into a sort of "mob mentality", and they all jump in. If anyone doubts that racism is alive, I would direct them here or to "Great Debates". I am sorry that they act this way, but it is out of ignorance.
It's mostly the postings I see here that make me see threads like this in a different light. It just befuddled me when I hear people claim "liberals are the real racists" or "Democrats are the real racists". What I am seeing written on these threads doesn't match up with what I've experienced. Because it doesn't match up, I look at some people here as just lying.

I don't think ignorance is what drives alot of hateful posts. I think anger drives that

Quote:
I look at the bigger picture, maybe because I am a baby boomer, a military veteran, and the daughter of a WWII veteran. Our country WAS something for us all to be proud of.
I am 36 years old. I was born during the Reagan administration. I got turned away from the military due to lingering health issues. My parents were born between the mid 1950s and early 1960s.

I also think about this. My mother was born in the South during the last stages of segregation. My father was born in the Midwest during the 1950s, the son of parents who fled Jim Crow era Mississippi. While my parents call themselves Americans, race has always been a major factor in American history. That fact can't be skirted. Most Americans may have been proud to be American. However, I wonder how many Blacks felt that way back then.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:13 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't do well during the Trump era, but you were definitely the exception to the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
This thread is about CT Democrats but good try on your attempt to spin this thread off topic.
Bingo…and it’s amazing how folks blame their self inflicted problems on because Trump.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-24-2022 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 07:19 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You can say the same about some Republicans:

This thread is about CT Democrats but good try on your attempt to spin this thread off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
President George W. Bush was also compared to Curious George on a few occasions.
Who cares?

GWB is very offtopic for this thread.

Everyone that commented.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:25 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
It's OK when THEY do it.
No. That's why it was deleted.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:48 AM

It's wrong when a Democrat does it. It's wrong when a Republican does it. This is my suspicion. I think that those who are quick to call out whenever Democrats do wrong will behave as if conservatives can do no wrong.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:54 AM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's wrong when a Democrat does it. It's wrong when a Republican does it. This is my suspicion. I think that those who are quick to call out whenever Democrats do wrong will behave as if conservatives can do no wrong.
But aren’t Democrats supposed to be the “anti-racists”? You don’t see the hypocrisy?

Old 05-24-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
But aren’t Democrats supposed to be the “anti-racists”? You don’t see the hypocrisy?
The same hypocrisy I have seen from some Republicans as well. This whole "my party is better than yours" crap got old a long time ago.

I notice that NEITHER party will call out their own.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:10 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
President George W. Bush was also compared to Curious George on a few occasions.
Who cares?

Curious George apparently gets around like Hitler does with these guys...

Old 05-24-2022, 12:19 PM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
It's OK when THEY do it.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...emocratic-par/

The fact that they deleted it speaks volumes.

Whether you think the "racism" charge is irrelevant here (it is a tad overused these days); we all know the sturm and drang that would be exploding all over the interzones if Donald Drumpf had dared to exercise such a proclamation.
So referring to someone by their name in the third person is racist now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies