Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 09:41 PM

10,489 posts, read 7,621,430 times

Advertisements

Skiping all the political BS in this thread, I believe that once the war is over that the countries currently embargoing Russian oil will return to buying it if they consider it to be in their financial interests.

Gas in US could still remain over $4/gallon nevertheless, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 10:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 723,634 times
Russian oil is about 11% of the world's supply.

The current U.S. administration wants to heap-on all possible sanctions so as to divert attention away from failed diplomacy. Remember the previous administration had a calm diplomacy with both Russia and China.

Germany wants to sanction Russian oil because they can't operate without Russian natural-gas. They can give-up the oil.

Hungary doesn't want to sanction Russian oil because they have oil pipelines from Russia to their refinery complex.

And India is currently using the Russian oil.

I don't know about China but I've previously said that I don't care what China says about Russia or about U.S. diplomacy but only about what direction they point their nuclear missiles. That's because Russia has a newly developed hypersonic cruise missile. And then in the past day, JB promises U.S. military defense of Taiwan and walks into the Quad alliance meeting !

With a sanction of Russian oil there is talk about un-sanctioning of Iranian and Venezuelan oil.

U.S. oil frackers aren't likely to increase production because oil backwardation makes hedging too expensive.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:39 AM

24,452 posts, read 9,315,996 times
The world is still buying it right now.

War doesn't negate the need of a country needing oil and gas to prevent the social collapse of a country.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:06 AM

7,251 posts, read 3,446,495 times
this is a very good question, but i have another (since many here love alternative sources of energy such as lithium ion batteries) will we still be consuming Russian mined nickel?

Old 05-24-2022, 04:58 AM

6,346 posts, read 3,063,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Hmmm, I have a bad feeling that this thread may be closed down before too long... ;-)
I agree. It appears that too many people cannot deal with the truth.....

Old 05-24-2022, 05:14 AM

4,523 posts, read 6,767,514 times
The eventual solution will involve the next leader of Russia agreeing to use an appreciable portion of the oil and gas revenues they receive to rebuild the Ukraine. Additional reparations will be required to lift other sanctions currently in place.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:59 AM

18,921 posts, read 27,410,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I know this is not the exact right forum to post, but many people drive here.

Right now very few countries are buying Russian oil, after the war, will countries still not buy it? If so, gas prices might average above above 4$ for a very long time.

It's naive question.
No one stopped buying "Russian" oil.
"Russian" oil simply is being bought now as a, say, Nigerian oil. Or, whatever proxy is being used to buy Russian oil, rebrand it, and resell at markup. Business as usual. "Russian" tankers will be rebranded as Liberian or whatever, and keep going.

It's been done so many times before and, is done as I type, that those sanctions are just hot air balloons and way for some to make more money and for some, to "feel good" how they stuck it to bloody dictator. Of course, at their own expense but - feels good.

Why, do you think, ruble is at the historical strong position to dollar? Because no one is buying oil?

Old 05-24-2022, 08:07 AM

15,936 posts, read 12,236,371 times
I must say Putin has embarrassed himself in this war. He didn't go in it with the ruthlessness necessary to win the war quickly and his trying to use the occupation tactic only dragged the war out while not really winning him any brownie points by the new world order. It will be his Afghanistan.

I believe the new world order want high energy prices and are in no hurry to have them come down anyways. Frankly it's not affecting me all that much. If there's some inflation, that means I can't buy as much stuff. I'm a minimalist anyways. It will drive a push towards being more green which many on here will disagree with me with, but I think that's a good thing... it's a gradual process that must not be forced too quickly though.

I'm neutral on the whole energy prices situation, but I'm comfortable with a good job. I sometimes wonder how most people get by in this country with the wages they make. They must have no net worth and be deep in debt giving the cost of living especially near larger cities with rent and housing prices as they are. We have people where I work who need second jobs when they lose their overtime and we make good money here. The way average people budget and spend their money is likely foreign to me.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:18 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I know this is not the exact right forum to post, but many people drive here.

Right now very few countries are buying Russian oil, after the war, will countries still not buy it? If so, gas prices might average above above 4$ for a very long time.
After wars were over, did we become friends with our former enemies?

Old 05-24-2022, 10:28 AM

42,665 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I would imagine it will be the same situation as when South African diamonds and gold were embargoed and "no one bought them" (except they did).

If no one else Germany hitched its energy future to Russia.
Nord Stream 2 was just about to go online too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies