Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 01:39 PM

19,632 posts, read 22,496,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
All I can say is that I've been teaching them for nearly thirty years now. The last ten years or so has been about like having my teeth pulled. I have CERTAINLY seen a decline in the quality of students (we're talking at a university level).
A lot of it is attributable to parenting/family or a lack thereof. I've met a lot of parents that either raise feral kids to be nannied by electronics and the internet or parents that don't hold their children accountable to much of anything. Expectations and resulting habits are borne from the home, not schools early on in life.

There are great teachers everywhere. Met them all throughout my life. There are a few bad ones, but mostly great. There are a LOT of crappy adults and parents. I know a lot of them- close to our family too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 01:56 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
yes, if you work in education then you truly see the "dumbing down" of Americans with each passing generation.

The younger ones are socially awkward in person since they are on their phones so much...even with dating now...they fall in love over text messages and selfies.
Oh yeah... the cell phone thing. I honestly think they are a curse. It was SO MUCH more pleasant teaching when none of the students had phones with them than it is now that almost every student has their face buried in a phone the entire class time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
A lot of it is attributable to parenting/family or a lack thereof. I've met a lot of parents that either raise feral kids to be nannied by electronics and the internet or parents that don't hold their children accountable to much of anything. Expectations and resulting habits are borne from the home, not schools early on in life.

There are great teachers everywhere. Met them all throughout my life. There are a few bad ones, but mostly great. There are a LOT of crappy adults and parents. I know a lot of them- close to our family too.
Definitely true. In way too many cases, children are not taught at all by their parents. The home ends up being a place to sleep and eat... and not much more than that. Like a boarding house or something. Or a flophouse.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:03 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,269,623 times
You have to understand: Kids are being educated by social media. They have no clue of the real world. Parents are just as bad. They allow cellphones and ipads to educate and teach their children.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:05 PM

35,551 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
The difference is.....your neighbors are elderly. They did not have cell phones, or laptops when they were in school. They have done their time, in school and the workforce. The younger generation needs to know how to make a living, not learn the difference between boys and girls, and everyone in between.
They find ways to make money. Just not your way. Most tiny houses are made by younger people. TikTok coming up with millionaires. You see kids that are left to think for themselves - create- innovate - plan things.
As far as the mouth. I said 5 yrs ago. Don’t complain when your kids back talk or have a nasty potty mouth, once the POTUS and heads of state are saying stuff out in the open -all bets are off. Ain’t no going back from that and you can check my posts. I warned people about Trumps nastiness. Oh well

Old 05-23-2022, 02:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They find ways to make money. Just not your way. Most tiny houses are made by younger people. TikTok coming up with millionaires. You see kids that are left to think for themselves - create- innovate - plan things.
As far as the mouth. I said 5 yrs ago. Don’t complain when your kids back talk or have a nasty potty mouth, once the POTUS and heads of state are saying stuff out in the open -all bets are off. Ain’t no going back from that and you can check my posts. I warned people about Trumps nastiness. Oh well

Interesting you only site Trump's nastiness. I seem to recall our current president saying "Barack, this is a big f'ing deal" when he was the VP. He called someone a dog paced pony soldier, another man fat and Peter Doocy a dumb son of a b*tch. And this is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:10 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times
The vid was depressing to watch.

No wonder why the Chinese will be owning our lunch soon.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:15 PM

35,551 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Oh yeah... the cell phone thing. I honestly think they are a curse. It was SO MUCH more pleasant teaching when none of the students had phones with them than it is now that almost every student has their face buried in a phone the entire class time.

Definitely true. In way too many cases, children are not taught at all by their parents. The home ends up being a place to sleep and eat... and not much more than that. Like a boarding house or something. Or a flophouse.
I agree with that and as the grandma- I jump in every chance I get to teach them basics home stuff - people stuff - common sense stuff. I give them all I got. Taught all to swim and 2 to drive, some to cook and trying to get sewing in there. Putting furniture together - and yard work. They don’t do any of that at home. The 13 yr was excited I let him drive the golf cart. But I showed him how to do the battery etc and he helped install a ceiling fan and a light in the shed. He checks on it when he comes. He did that! Lol - I do not see too many other grands doing that in my neighborhood. They visit, eat n go to the beach. No life lessons. Oh well. They learn what we teach them. It’s on you!

Old 05-23-2022, 02:21 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Interesting you only site Trump's nastiness. I seem to recall our current president saying "Barack, this is a big f'ing deal" when he was the VP. He called someone a dog paced pony soldier, another man fat and Peter Doocy a dumb son of a b*tch. And this is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.
Quote:
Talking about having tunnel vision. I've heard language/profanity from the dems and left that I have never heard from Trump or any of his cabinet of the time.
Bingo…and it’s hilarious how this is ignored, and the because Trump obsession rages on, lol.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:23 PM

9,350 posts, read 5,104,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Virginia View Post
This is the Democrat voting base.

Another reason why we need to raise the minimum age to vote to 30 or 35, unless you've served.
It's worse than that. They are the future of America.
God help us.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:23 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…and it’s hilarious how this is ignored, and the because Trump obsession rages on, lol.
I've heard the most vicious and profane language coming from the left/dems, especially "the squad."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies