Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 05:40 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

Interesting nobody seems to talk about farmland being sold to developers at an alarming rate. That’s part of the real problem. No farms….No food. Without land to grow crops and raise livestock, we’re doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 05:59 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
I go to Costco a few times per month and in the past year, I've had a difficult time finding regular chicken breasts, tenders or thighs there. Costco even owns it's own processing plant to control quality and keep stores stocked, so you would think that they would not have issues...but they are.

Eggs have also skyrocketed in price.

There are shortages now and there will be more later. Will America starve? Probably not, but it's going to be more difficult in the days, months and years ahead.

I'm preparing....laugh all you want...call me a conspiracy right-wing nut if you want, but my family will have food.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:19 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Interesting nobody seems to talk about farmland being sold to developers at an alarming rate. That’s part of the real problem. No farms….No food. Without land to grow crops and raise livestock, we’re doomed.
There is way more than enough land out here in the Great Plains to grow food for everybody. If we really need more land we can stop growing corn which is used to put alcohol in our fuel which is where the vast majority of this Farmland is going these days out here.

It's more profitable to mass grow this corn and have it turned into ethanol then it is to grow it for food stocks. There are four different ethanol plants within 50 straight line miles of where I live and they run 24/7 365.

Electric vehicle adoption is going to be slower than the mainstream media is letting on even a decade from now I bet you it's still only 25% Market penetration they're just too expensive compared to regular gas powered vehicles who themselves are probably going to be insanely priced for the foreseeable future I'm glad I don't have to buy a vehicle anytime in the next few years because I'm not over paying for things

What's more in jeopardy with the supply chain problems are the infinite varieties of exotic produce people just assume are going to be on the shelves all year long. We will have no problems getting the junk food like hot pockets and pizza into the grocery stores and other processed foods. Granted it's probably going to get more expensive. When in crisis high quality foods will disappear from the Shelves First the mass-produced foods we'll be the ones left so enjoy your Cheerios I'll take my Cinnamon Toast Crunch... you shouldn't have problems getting milk there's industrial dairy farms everywhere out here

Old 05-24-2022, 06:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I go to Costco a few times per month and in the past year, I've had a difficult time finding regular chicken breasts, tenders or thighs there. Costco even owns it's own processing plant to control quality and keep stores stocked, so you would think that they would not have issues...but they are.

Eggs have also skyrocketed in price.

There are shortages now and there will be more later. Will America starve? Probably not, but it's going to be more difficult in the days, months and years ahead.

I'm preparing....laugh all you want...call me a conspiracy right-wing nut if you want, but my family will have food.
We need to put this on repeat. There is an avian flu going around at most of the chicken and egg producers. The cure is to kill the chickens. Millions of chickens have been killed in recent months in an attempt to stop the avian flu. Thus the shortage on chicken and eggs lately.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:27 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There is way more than enough land out here in the Great Plains to grow food for everybody. If we really need more land we can stop growing corn which is used to put alcohol in our fuel which is where the vast majority of this Farmland is going these days out here.

It's more profitable to mass grow this corn and have it turned into ethanol then it is to grow it for food stocks. There are four different ethanol plants within 50 straight line miles of where I live and they run 24/7 365.

Electric vehicle adoption is going to be slower than the mainstream media is letting on even a decade from now I bet you it's still only 25% Market penetration they're just too expensive compared to regular gas powered vehicles who themselves are probably going to be insanely priced for the foreseeable future I'm glad I don't have to buy a vehicle anytime in the next few years because I'm not over paying for things
That is why this administration will be forcing the automotive OEM's to switch to EV products. One of Biden's EO's was to once again change (from what Trump did) the EPA CAFE standards. The new CAFE fleet standard for OEM's is 49mpg by 2026 which is virtually impossible unless they switch to EV.

It will be essentially forcing consumers into EV's, if they want to buy new.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
China has bought much land in the states. Bad move. What they grow here they can ship where ever they want while Americans go hungry.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:59 AM

10,814 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
6 months ago I went into a store and it was fully stocked.

What we don't know is if the store you went into was in the process of cleaning, installing new shelving, had a truck shipment run a day late or so forth.

Many of those anecdotes were presented as proof of widespread bare shelves and apocalyptic doom.....

except every grocery store chain in the US, including ones that are not primarily grocery stores (target, walmart et al) report without exception that distribution of many food items is becoming scarce such that all chains have, in certain areas (oddly mostly 'blue cities'), implemented purchase limits. Food, is becoming like ammo.

oh, and strangely, they are ALL hiring.

If you have a 2021-2022 article from ANY chain stating they are seeing no problem obtaining any item, please post it...

Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I read an article that said their are many people who have CDL licenses but they can't make decent money with all the regulations today so they leave because they are not paid for lay overs. Too much time wasted waiting in line or the load is not ready.
It may depend upon the State, the company, type of hauling, and distance in question. I've not heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of driving positions advertised where I live. The wages commonly vary between $1,200 and $2,500 weekly depending upon the nature of the driving, and most are offering $5k - $10k sign-on bonuses because they're having trouble finding applicants. The lower end of the aforementioned is more likely to include local driving almost exclusively and afford the individual the ability to be home every night (or nearly so). There are of course types of driving that will pay less — school bus drivers tend to get $15 - $20/hr, and garbage truck drivers tend to get $20 - $25/hr, for example.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:12 AM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Bill Gates owns a lot of the farmland now.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:18 AM

1,173 posts, read 549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Bill Gates owns a lot of the farmland now.
Jesus, somebody just get rid this geek already. Either he’s one giant walking conspiracy theory or he’s really up to some chit. I don’t like the odds of 50/50 to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies