Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 11:42 AM

234 posts, read 95,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Came across a great article on MSM today. Davos is Dead Davos is dead | Opinions | Al Jazeera
Your linked article advocates for “reform proposals that are gaining momentum, such as a Global Asset Register (the proposal to create a comprehensive international registry of all wealth and assets) , or the creation of a UN tax convention.”

Do you agree with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestar1 View Post
Your linked article advocates for “reform proposals that are gaining momentum, such as a Global Asset Register (the proposal to create a comprehensive international registry of all wealth and assets) , or the creation of a UN tax convention.”

Do you agree with that?
In view of Panama and Pandora papers it might make sense.

One problem is that it is impossible to make all countries agree on something, so such decisions would have to be taken by majority, which in turn means that countries would simply opt out. And who could blame them, to many countries their sovereignty is holy...

Old 05-24-2022, 12:01 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Who/what is "Davos"?
Davos is a city in Switzerland where the World Economic Forum is headquartered.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:06 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's apparently a Swiss town in which some stupid, non-value added "summit meeting" is held on a recurring basis. You know - one of those virtual signalling circle jerks where a bunch of pompous jackasses sit around pretending care about the liberal whine-of-the-day. Climate change, "rich people bad", etc.
That is certainly one valid way to look at it. However a lot of money gets handed to those 'circle jerks' and that alone gives them undeserved power. Don't get me wrong, the Davos group needs to be eliminated and it would be nice if the protest this time is a start of something substantive.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:19 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I doubt it. Voters are given few options, in your country basically only two. But they can't tell candidates what to do. Typically in Western democracy, once voted, politicians do what they want.

Most parts of government can probably not be shrunk much because most civil servants do things that make sense.
But the military is certainly absurdly bloated. It should be slashed by 95% so that it really focuses on defense, currently defense actually stands for offense.

I am fine with cutting defense 95% if we cut all other parts of government 95%. Most of government exists for itself not for us. So lets slash 95% of it.

I agree politicians do what they want because voters do not hold them accountable. It all falls back on the voters. Politicians know people are not really paying attention. And really all they have to say is if you don't vote for me that even more horrible person from the other party will take my place and things will be worse. That keeps them in office. And few really pay attention to what goes on in DC.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:06 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I doubt it. Voters are given few options, in your country basically only two. But they can't tell candidates what to do. Typically in Western democracy, once voted, politicians do what they want.

Most parts of government can probably not be shrunk much because most civil servants do things that make sense.
But the military is certainly absurdly bloated. It should be slashed by 95% so that it really focuses on defense, currently defense actually stands for offense.

I am fine with cutting defense 95% if we cut all other parts of government 95%. Most of government exists for itself not for us. So lets slash 95% of it.

I agree politicians do what they want because voters do not hold them accountable. It all falls back on the voters. Politicians know people are not really paying attention. And really all they have to say is if you don't vote for me that even more horrible person from the other party will take my place and things will be worse. That keeps them in office. And few really pay attention to what goes on in DC.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:47 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
LOL, while true, I'm about as anti Portland as you can get...just for the record. My family moved out of Portland when I was one year old so it didn't leave much of an impact on me.
"I'm about as anti Portland as you can get."

Yet your profiles has a Portland zip code.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:48 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Davos is a city in Switzerland where the World Economic Forum is headquartered.
It is actually a small town where a ski resort exists but also is home to the WEF. I've been there twice to ski for a week at a time. It is an excellent place to ski.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm about as anti Portland as you can get."

Yet your profiles has a Portland zip code.
LOL

Old 05-25-2022, 06:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
meh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies