Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Right, honestly there's a whole lot about Biden's presidency so far that is merely a continuation of things that were happening under Trump but are now bad because teams changed.
Nah, Sleepy Joe and the Dems have created so many ridiculous debacles from day 1 and continue to do so. It’s why they’re getting their wings clipped at midterms and going to lose the House and beyond. Even Dems have had enough as we see plummeting approval ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 02:24 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Right, honestly there's a whole lot about Biden's presidency so far that is merely a continuation of things that were happening under Trump but are now bad because teams changed.
I feel like we went from one bad candidate to another. Neither Biden or Trump are equipped to lead.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:26 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
And some of those policies have actually been discontinued under Biden that were so awesome under Trump like the federal UI gravy train and helicopter money has slowed way down.

I think we're probably going to be looking at 10 years or so to recover from COVID. It's Keynesian economics on steroids. The massive government spending kept the economy chugging aside from an extremely brief contraction, but there's no such thing as free lunch.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
And some of those policies have actually been discontinued under Biden that were so awesome under Trump like the federal UI gravy train and helicopter money has slowed way down.

I think we're probably going to be looking at 10 years or so to recover from COVID. It's Keynesian economics on steroids. The massive government spending kept the economy chugging aside from an extremely brief contraction, but there's no such thing as free lunch.
Sleepy Joe let folks ride the gravy train wayyyyy longer than needed…and he also extended it, added more money to it, and let folks live rent free while so many jobs were available. Shutting it down and living in fear has consequences.

The massive amounts of money he’s sending to the Ukraine will add to what he’s already given away. Skyrocketing Bidenflation will continue to skyrocket.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:35 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Sleepy Joe let folks ride the gravy train wayyyyy longer than needed…and he also extended it, added more money to it, and let folks live rent free while so many jobs were available. Shutting it down and living in fear has consequences.

The massive amounts of money he’s sending to the Ukraine will add to what he’s already given away. Skyrocketing Bidenflation will continue to skyrocket.
Indeed.

Stimulus and gravy trains should have been shutoff by May 2020 by Trump. But he was weak and, as you say, shutting down the gravy train had consequences. Making people pay their rent again had consequences. Trump was too scared to face the Piper. Biden was reluctant. He's a weak President, just a lot better than Trump was. With better leadership the economic damage could have been less. But you had Trump who was a total disaster on fiscal policy from the get-go and now we have Biden on cleanup duty. Not ideal by any means.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:39 PM

408 posts, read 291,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
For the record I didn't vote for Biden nor the other guy both horrible choices at the time.

Anyway. This is mostly for Biden voters.

1. Knowing their would be record inflation.

2. Knowing their would be record Gas prices.

3. The bungled pullout of Afganistan.

4. Covid still rampant

5. Housing crises

And so on would you of still voted for him over the other guy? granted not all the above is Biden's fault or within his control.

I would of still stayed out the election both undesirable choices.

I would choose not to vote for either one, or vote in a third party candidate. It would have been a steal of an idea for the Republican Party to have endorsed a more respectful conservative but uniting figure to run in place of Trump or otherwise form a new party to run a new conservative candidate. At least then if Biden won it would make the country angry that we are trapped in a controlled system and maybe finish the attempt to crush this 2-party system.

Biden lacks the energy and powerful self-determination to do beyond the status quo because of his age and his monotonous resume of doing the same legislative job for decades with no other outlook shaping his thinking. He means well as a big tent voice trying to represent Liberal causes quite directly, explicitly standing on promoting minorities and women, and trying to steer power this way. However, the problem is the other stuff he’s failed to do which is take necessary actions to address real problems and quickly. We need to take some dirty actions he won’t touch. For instance

we should be reducing our dependence on oil by tapping our reserves,
We should be removing laws that cost more than they benefit the economy
We should not have ended the keystone pipeline project
We should use fiscal policy to fight inflation with across the board tax increases
Fed policy is not aggressive enough either.
curbing inflation to prevent economy from overheating is dirty work it’s bad guy work but it’s necessary to be done

However, I also cannot elect Trump, someone who can disrespect the losses of life due to COVID spread and brag about his recovery, who can speak untruthfully about what comes from his mouth, who can declare war on journalism, and who has a non-democratic and divisive approach to the role of American Govt. This is not a safe option for us to have as our President.

If it was DeSantis vs Biden knowing what I know now I would elect DeSantis. GOP should seriously run him in 2024

Last edited by Freesponge; 05-24-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Indeed.

Stimulus and gravy trains should have been shutoff by May 2020 by Trump. But he was weak and, as you say, shutting down the gravy train had consequences. Making people pay their rent again had consequences. Trump was too scared to face the Piper. Biden was reluctant. He's a weak President, just a lot better than Trump was.
Lol. This is just 1 debacle by Sleepy Joe. Let’s not forget border crisis, virus that Sleepy Joe said he was going to end quickly, skyrocketing violent crime, Aghan debacle, etc…, etc…, etc…, and now war because he was unable to keep the peace with foreign leaders like because Trump was, and let’s not forget Putin attacked for a second time with Sleepy Joe in office, and he’s sending huge amounts of money to the Ukraine because of it.

How many jobs were available in May?

Old 05-24-2022, 02:40 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:

Congress has a little bit to do with money for Ukraine, also. Just saying.

As for President Biden: given a choice, knowing what I know now, between him and Trump there is no contest for me. I would still choose President Biden.

In my opinion, Trump struggled with the job for many reasons (some of them inherent in his personality such as his clear love of autocracy) and simply lacks character. He is one of the most openly vile people I have seen in political leadership.

President Biden is struggling with the job, but has the basic character I expect in a President.

You’re allowed to disagree, of course, but the topic is whether I would have voted for him knowing what I know now-not how wonderful you think Trump was.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Congress has a little bit to do with money for Ukraine, also. Just saying.

As for President Biden: given a choice, knowing what I know now, between him and Trump there is no contest for me. I would still choose President Biden.

In my opinion, Trump struggled with the job for many reasons (some of them inherent in his personality such as his clear love of autocracy) and simply lacks character. He is one of the most openly vile people I have seen in political leadership.

President Biden is struggling with the job, but has the basic character I expect in a President.

You’re allowed to disagree, of course, but the topic is whether I would have voted for him knowing what I know now-not how wonderful you think Trump was.
And if Sleepy Joe was able to keep the peace with foreign leaders like because Trump was that money wouldn’t be needed. Peace is better than war.

Because Trump no doubt hurt folks feelings and was a big meanie on Twitter, but no Aghan debacle, no skyrocketing Bidenflation, no border crisis, etc…, etc…, etc…

Biden is struggling with the job, the ability to remember, to not slur his words, to get down off of a podium, etc… The bright side is he gets his wings clipped soon.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:05 PM

408 posts, read 291,033 times
Quote:
And if Sleepy Joe was able to keep the peace with foreign leaders like because Trump was that money wouldn’t be needed. Peace is better than war.

Because Trump no doubt hurt folks feelings and was a big meanie on Twitter, but no Aghan debacle, no skyrocketing Bidenflation, no border crisis, etc…, etc…, etc…

Biden is struggling with the job, the ability to remember, to not slur his words, to get down off of a podium, etc… The bright side is he gets his wings clipped soon.
In a nutshell the problem with Biden is more what he isn’t doing than what he is doing. He’s slow at doing effective things that have quick results and there’s not much excuse he can have when he has majority of his own party in Congress which I doubt he will hold onto after the midterm election.

I also can blame the Fed for having waited much too long to normalize interest rates, which was exactly the mistake Japan made in its Asset bubble in the late 1980s. We should already be at a higher fed rate and then not jumping off zero to get there as we now fall into a trap if we hit recession and inflation together

One smart move is to actually not amend the tax schedule at all just leave it alone …. If nominal wages climb from out of control inflation THEN by not changing tax schedule the average American will see their effective tax % as a % of income go higher. This is actually upsetting but the smart thing to do is not correct it at all… that pinch is necessary to fight inflation. This will keep take home pay in a trap as pretax salaries climb and new higher marginal tax brackets push some 30% of that climb away from worker take home pay , forcing workers to see wages closer to where they are, will help price levels stay closer to where they are.

Last edited by Freesponge; 05-24-2022 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies