Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
As a mechanism to make it more attractive for employees to contribute savings towards their own retirement, while also helping those Americans later on have solvency , while also helping them today take courses of action which will help them reduce their own tax burden by deferring more income

And by not doing these things, a penalty tax will be an additional source of Govt revenue to pay the national debt. It probably would be hated but actually very constructive especially that it forces Americans to take retirement more seriously

What could be done is any American with a job offering a 401k benefit who contributes less than 7% of pretax income to the 401k, maybe make it 25% of the amount of the pretax money retained by thwarting those contributions must be paid to IRS annually using After-tax dollars …. So more like a 50% of savings pinch
Not going to solve anything and why penalize people who perhpas need the cash now vs stashing it in a 201k????

With problem solvers like this we are doomed!

Biden destroyed the economic foundation of our country. Now we get band-aids to place over spurting arteries?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:42 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Most company match is 6% max.
Yes, I was talking about the matching percentage and not the amount of the contribution.

ie) The company matches 50% up to 7% was one I'd seen, so 3.5% from them for a total of 10.5%

The company I work for is 100% match up to 6%.

So, the amount they match up to varies.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If my company matched that much, I would be putting the max in every year. But they only match around $12K a year, so that is all I contribute.

I prefer investing in assets that earn income, and by income, I dont mean measly dividends. So the OP's plan is a terrible idea.

But matching is another story. I don't leave money on the table.
Right. You may be one of the few posters here that could also start running into the contribution cap without putting in a huge %.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
NO! We already allow the Government to penalize workers. It's called Social Security.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:47 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
As a mechanism to make it more attractive for employees to contribute savings towards their own retirement, while also helping those Americans later on have solvency , while also helping them today take courses of action which will help them reduce their own tax burden by deferring more income

And by not doing these things, a penalty tax will be an additional source of Govt revenue to pay the national debt. It probably would be hated but actually very constructive especially that it forces Americans to take retirement more seriously

What could be done is any American with a job offering a 401k benefit who contributes less than 7% of pretax income to the 401k, maybe make it 25% of the amount of the pretax money retained by thwarting those contributions must be paid to IRS annually using After-tax dollars …. So more like a 50% of savings pinch
If government touches it, they'll mis/over manage it. Period. They have a proven record. No matter how good it looks on paper, or how well-intentioned it might be, it'll turn to s**t.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:04 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Assuming that a worker has joined Social Security, then their employer is already contributing over 6% of wages into the worker's retirement benefit package.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:

Why do you want authoritative control over what people do with their own money ?

A penalty tax is not making something "more attractive"....it's coercion, blackmail, etc.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
No, because some of us have a fixed pension, in addition to a 401 and a 457. The 401 is the smallest of my retirement savings accounts, because the 457 contribution gets matched by my employer and the pension is the largest part of my future retirement.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:

No.

Some people can't afford 7%.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:49 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If my company matched that much, I would be putting the max in every year. But they only match around $12K a year, so that is all I contribute.

I prefer investing in assets that earn income, and by income, I dont mean measly dividends. So the OP's plan is a terrible idea.

But matching is another story. I don't leave money on the table.
Isn't that over the max? Or does the matching funds not count towards the yearly cap?

I hit the yearly cap, only because it's my way of keeping my IBR student loan payments as low as possible. Once the loans are gone, I'll rearrange where the retirement money goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies