Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 40.08%
No 238 50.21%
Unsure 46 9.70%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 12:06 PM

26,749 posts, read 22,505,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

How Different Are Russian and Ukrainian???

I found this video from two years ago quite interesting. The man is very knowledgeable and I have been watching him for a couple of years, then I remembered this one. I would also like to see a video on the differences between the Belarusian and Ukrainian languages.

Yes, and so?

Bavarian dialects are different from the Hoch Deutsch too, so are they ( Bavarians) not German then?

Quote:
Another video of interest, it looks like the Russian people are no different than Americans in many ways ... sometimes ignorant, sometimes goofy and sometimes insightful.

Russians name a country they don't like
Russia has been Americanized since the 90ies, you didn't know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 12:36 PM

4,947 posts, read 2,702,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Indeed, nobody wants a nuclear holocaust war.

Please explain how explain how appeasing Putin will avoid that.
I don't know what the answer is, but directly confronting Putin militarily will lead to nuclear war even faster. So what is the solution?

Old 07-10-2022, 12:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,443,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, and so?

Bavarian dialects are different from the Hoch Deutsch too, so are they ( Bavarians) not German then?
Oh, you are touchy! Ukrainian is not a dialect of Russian.

Yeah, in spite of your best efforts you can not support your assertion that Ukrainians are Russians. Just like you can't support your claim that Russia is justified in attacking it's neighbors.

Putin is a war criminal.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:57 PM

12,374 posts, read 8,126,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I don't know what the answer is, but directly confronting Putin militarily will lead to nuclear war even faster. So what is the solution?
Stay the course and Russians won't give birth to enough boys to outlast the rest of the world's production of precision guided ordinance

Old 07-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Oh, you are touchy! Ukrainian is not a dialect of Russian.

Technically speaking, Russian is a dialect of Ukrainian, because "Ukraine" ( or "Kievan Rus") came first; modern Russian state came secondary.

They both had variety of related dialects throughout the area, but Moscow/St. Pet (being the latest capitals) went through modernization and standartization of the Russian language few times, making it more uniform for academic purpose. Ukrainian language hasn't been reformed unlike Russian - it's still a variety of dialects throughout the country.

( Yes, I like to dispel the Ukrainian nationalist propaganda. It's quite easy actually, so I do it with pleasure. And yes, I saw that video before.)

Quote:
Yeah, in spite of your best efforts you can not support your assertion that Ukrainians are Russians.
I am asking you a question again - are Bavarians Germans or not?

If yes - why, if not - why not?

Quote:
Just like you can't support your claim that Russia is justified in attacking it's neighbors.
I don't need to "support" anything.

It's for everyone to see, for those who cared to look into this subject.

Quote:
Putin is a war criminal.
If it makes you feel better.

Last edited by erasure; 07-10-2022 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-10-2022, 02:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,882,962 times
Quote:
Yes, and so?

If you ask any Bavarian, he will thank God that he's not a stupid German indeed.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Technically speaking, Russian is a dialect of Ukrainian, because "Ukraine" ( or "Kievan Rus") came first; modern Russian state came secondary.

They both had variety of related dialects throughout the area, but Moscow/St. Pet (being the latest capitals) went through modernization and standartization of the Russian language few times, making it more uniform for academic purpose. Ukrainian language hasn't been reformed unlike Russian - it's still a variety of dialects throughout the country.

( Yes, I like to dispel the Ukrainian nationalist propaganda. It's quite easy actually, so I do it with pleasure. And yes, I saw that video before.)

I was always under impression that Ukrainian is a "simplified" Southern-Russian dialect with infusion of Polish words.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:38 PM

4,947 posts, read 2,702,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Stay the course and Russians won't give birth to enough boys to outlast the rest of the world's production of precision guided ordinance
Hmmm......

I guess the Ukrainians have an unlimited supply of manpower. Also forgot Ukraine heavily outnumbers Russia in population and birth rate and that Russia lacks precision guided ordnance. Problem solved.

Oh, wait! Won't the side that finds itself losing just push the nuclear button? Scary!

Old 07-10-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
If you ask any Bavarian, he will thank God that he's not a stupid German indeed.

All right, so you are saying they are not Germans?
WHO they are then?

( Because likewise, the Ukrainians like to say "thank God we are not stupid Russians" - the idea here is the same.)

Old 07-10-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
All right, so you are saying they are not Germans?
WHO they are then?

( Because likewise, the Ukrainians like to say "thank God we are not stupid Russians" - the idea here is the same.)
Not sure if it is a proper topic here or not, but Bavarians are more aligned with Austrians. Their territory were part of Roman Empire, they are mostly Catholic (rather than Lutheran), and if being German means being Prussian, they are most certainly proud to have none of them.

As far as Ukrainians not being Russians... That's fine and cool. They can be whatever they like. I guess it's up to them to chose whether they want to be Malo-Russians, Novo-Russians or Proto-Russians... Nobody care what language they chose to speak in Kiev, all Russians want from them is disbanding their military, dropping NATO aspirations (for good, not in paper), and cooperating with Donestk People Republic in investigation of who ordered shelling of Ukrainians cities in 2014, who conducted those shellings, and extradicting the guilty parties to Donetsk... That's not too much to ask, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies