Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.50%
No 245 50.94%
Unsure 46 9.56%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

Crimea was attacked again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 11:37 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
True, but it's not this easy. India is needed to counteract China in the future. Many countries will be needed to counter China in 4-5 years.
In this matter, India needs the USA more. India and China share a border. Recently Sir Lanka, one of India's closest neighbors was swindled by the Chinese out of a major port. The CCP has put a spy ship in that port, basically next to India. They desperately needs help from the USA to contain China.

I just don't trust India.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:07 AM

4,971 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You're not a Russian bot....reading through your posts, you mention that you are
retired from IT and are doing substitute teaching up in North Dakota and claim you're
a Texan....in one post you mentioned you're a Canadian...
most interesting post for me is the one where you stated you are fluent in two languages...
Russian and English....

Fluent in Russian ....immigrant from Russia?....or your parents were immigrants to Canada
from Russia ...then with your IT skills...you moved to the States...
...I find that most "pro" Russian posters on C-D have some kind of connection to Russia...
it explains their staunch defending of Russia...
I am a former Canadian who was born in Montreal and then moved to the US when I was 10 years old. I worked in IT for 35 years. I am retired but work as a substitute teacher in Texas. I am a Texas resident but have a summer residence in North Dakota. My parents escaped Russia (Soviet Union) during WW2 and fled to the West. Yes, I do speak Russian (and French since I lived in Quebec), but I have never been outside the North American continent.

So I do have a connection to Russia, but we all hated and feared the communists. I am not a mindless defender of Russia and just try to seek out the truth. The world is not black and white any more like in the days of the Soviet Union. Plenty of bad guys everywhere now with plenty of propaganda flowing. Our unipolar world is becoming more and more multipolar. I just hope we make it there without nuclear war.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:29 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,067,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I am a former Canadian who was born in Montreal and then moved to the US when I was 10 years old. I worked in IT for 35 years. I am retired but work as a substitute teacher in Texas. I am a Texas resident but have a summer residence in North Dakota. My parents escaped Russia (Soviet Union) during WW2 and fled to the West. Yes, I do speak Russian (and French since I lived in Quebec), but I have never been outside the North American continent.

So I do have a connection to Russia, but we all hated and feared the communists. I am not a mindless defender of Russia and just try to seek out the truth. The world is not black and white any more like in the days of the Soviet Union. Plenty of bad guys everywhere now with plenty of propaganda flowing. Our unipolar world is becoming more and more multipolar. I just hope we make it there without nuclear war.
Interesting.

Do you consider Putin to be a good guy or bad guy?

Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
In this matter, India needs the USA more. India and China share a border. Recently Sir Lanka, one of India's closest neighbors was swindled by the Chinese out of a major port. The CCP has put a spy ship in that port, basically next to India. They desperately needs help from the USA to contain China.

I just don't trust India.
Full agreement here.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Interesting.

Do you consider Putin to be a good guy or bad guy?
I am hesitant in calling any leader of any country a good guy. Certainly, not Biden who is a corrupt incompetent. Nice guys don't go into politics and as the saying goes "finish last". It is also disturbing that Putin was in the KGB, a murderous and vile organization. That said, I think that Putin cares about his people and his country and wants to promote and grow Russia. I don't think Putin wants to conquer the world and just wants Russia to have its place in the sun along with other countries. The methods that he uses are both good and bad and is speckled with corruption (as the West is not immune to corruption either) but he is moving Russia from being a "gas station" to having a more balanced economy. This is creating friction in the West, especially the US, who doesn't want competition from the largest country in the world that is blessed with staggering natural resources riches. The US wants to remain Number One and will try to hang on to that title for as long as it can. That is the root of the problem that has caused the Ukraine crisis.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:43 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
I am hesitant in calling any leader of any country a good guy. Certainly, not Biden who is a corrupt incompetent. Nice guys don't go into politics and as the saying goes "finish last". It is also disturbing that Putin was in the KGB, a murderous and vile organization. That said, I think that Putin cares about his people and his country and wants to promote and grow Russia. I don't think Putin wants to conquer the world and just wants Russia to have its place in the sun along with other countries. The methods that he uses are both good and bad and is speckled with corruption (as the West is not immune to corruption either) but he is moving Russia from being a "gas station" to having a more balanced economy. This is creating friction in the West, especially the US, who doesn't want competition from the largest country in the world that is blessed with staggering natural resources riches. The US wants to remain Number One and will try to hang on to that title for as long as it can. That is the root of the problem that has caused the Ukraine crisis.
Ever heard of Lebensraum?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Having known a lot of Russians and Russian immigrants, I am very familiar with your kind. Ultimately, your sense of identity will prevent you from ever being able to look at Russians objectively and deep down, you want the Russians to win regardless of their methods. We understand, it's human nature.

On that note, never trust a Russian who tries to be your friend.
You gotta be kidding. "Your kind". Wow! You are way of base and are showing your ignorance. Having a Russian background doesn't prevent me from being objective. People are not cookie cutter images and have their own personalities and value systems. Lumping people into categories with no exclusion possible is frankly insane.

I can't believe that you wrote this garbage. Oh wait... you wrote this in an attempt to discredit. Got it.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Ever heard of Lebensraum?
Yes, Adolf Hitler's plan to get more "breathing space" for Germany by conquering Russia. But Russia has all the breathing space that it needs. It seems that the latest manifestation of Lebensraum is the United States who feels it has to be Number One and must encroach on others to maintain it.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:01 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Was it disturbing that George HW Bush was a former CIA director?

What are some examples of P diversifying Russia's economy? They were still exporting mainly raw materials and arms before the current mess happened. Light manufacturing is still grossly underdeveloped. Instead, the country had been flooded with imported consumer goods, until recently. Russia's neglect of its consumer sector turned out to be a bonanza of an opportunity for companies like Ikea. Maybe the current crisis will be a stimulus for home-grown consumer manufacturing, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd love to see Russia diversify its economy. I've been waiting for that to happen for decades. Medvedev promised to focus on light industry, but global oil prices tanked after he came into office, frustrating his plans. Not much has happened in that regard since then. I"m still waiting. If you have some good news in that regard, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-17-2022 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies