Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.75%
No 242 50.63%
Unsure 46 9.62%
Voters: 478. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 08:41 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
I actually favor regime change myself , in the form of a constitutional monarchy I've already described , yet said regime change must be the result of an organic grassroots process undertaken by the Russian people themselves , as opposed to being the result of naked Western intervention .

On that note , I have nothing more to add really , so thanks for taking the time to debate me !

For Russia? Belated memo: there are no monarchs left. There are descendants of a nobility, but no monarchs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 08:45 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
If Turkey continues to make deals with Russia and do what is in their interests, they too will be sanctioned by the US. Many if not most countries back down when threatened by US sanctions. Turkey also is not pleased with US involvement with their neighbor in Syria. I'm curious to see how far the US will push Turkey regarding Russia. The West can ill afford to completely lose Turkey's adherence, yet they seem to be an independent type nation.

US warns of sanctions against Turkey over Russia ties

Turkey's top business association has confirmed receiving a letter from the US Treasury warning of possible sanctions if it continues doing business with Russia.

Washington is growing increasingly alarmed that the Russian government and businesses are using Turkey to evade Western financial and trading restrictions imposed in response to the Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine six months ago.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-warns-...091828935.html

Old 08-24-2022, 09:01 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Pelosi dared to go to taiwan and trampled on the One China policy...and the US clearly stated that it does not want China to recover taiwan and achieve national unification under any circumstances.

So what is Beijing waiting for? They should sell Russia all that it needs for the war in Ukraine. If Russia fails, then the west will be emboldened to go after China next. China cannot let Russia fail.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:13 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Pelosi dared to go to taiwan and trampled on the One China policy...and the US clearly stated that it does not want China to recover taiwan and achieve national unification under any circumstances.

So what is Beijing waiting for? They should sell Russia all that it needs for the war in Ukraine. If Russia fails, then the west will be emboldened to go after China next. China cannot let Russia fail.
Pretty funny.
Russia had $600B in foreign reserves (that's money in the bank) and sanctions have frozen about $300B. They are selling oil at cost in order to buy time, but unfortunately time is the only thing they can buy. They have no money to buy anything else, and no one to buy from.

China has debt problems that make it impossible to bail out anyone. China itself is a fraud, good at announcing plans and artists conceptions, but little else.
This report by Stratfor may be of interest. Russia will become irrelevant and China will become stagnant. The US will disengage.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:23 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For Russia? Belated memo: there are no monarchs left. There are descendants of a nobility, but no monarchs.

Yes I think that the grassroots restoration of a constitutional monarchy along the lines of how it existed between 1905-1917 , would benefit both Russia and Europe/the United States/if not the entire world , quite immensely if done right .

And while there are no actual Russian monarchs left , it's not as if the relations of Prince Karl Emich of Leiningen could not stake a legitimate claim upon Russian throne , as the heirs to the House of Romanov .

Old 08-24-2022, 09:37 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
What hardly if ever gets mentioned ( regardless of its crucial importance ) is that the days of Ukraine being an independent country/Ukrainians being an independent people are more than likely over as we speak ( or should I say type ) .

Since regardless of whether or not they end up " winning " this war , the following country/nation destroying things will most likely happen :

1 . The emigration of young/healthy/working age Ukrainians will no doubt vastly increase after this war ends , thus resulting in brain drain that the country/people as a whole may quite likely never ever recover from in the least .

It doesn't take a prophet after all to see that a country full of elderly pensioners and/or ex paramilitary members turned racketeers won't amount to anything resembling a free and independent state/people .

2 . Even if it's the Westerners who start " moving in " as opposed to the Russians , the same sort of rampantly exploitative gangster capitalism will no doubt become commonplace , with the only difference being that Western bankers/businessmen may very well use softer methods to get what they want .

No matter how you slice it , it's almost certain that the entirety of Ukraine's economy will either be controlled from Moscow or Brussels/London/Washington D.C. , thereby making the idea of Ukraine/Ukrainians being free and independent a tragically false dream .

3 . The EU in its characteristic " kick the can down the road " approach of putting a band aid on the gaping wound of mass immigration to Europe , may very well raise the subject of establishing refugee camps in Ukraine as a sort of payment for its aid , which Ukraine/Ukrainians won't be able to resist .

Said action would result in quite possibly millions of desperate Middle Eastern/African migrants being holed up on the border of the EU , that would in Ukraine's case mean a demographic change showing the way to unforeseen consequences of a not at all cheery nature in terms of Ukrainians being able to hold onto their country .

I don't think it is necessary to write of why it would be undesirable if Russia were to " win " this war , so I think it will more than suffice to say that all these things I've listed would no doubt come to pass as well with a Russified face in that scenario , with ( perhaps ) refugee camps not being established .

All in all this begs the question of if it's almost certain that Ukrainians will lose their sovereignty either way , shouldn't it behoove us average Westerners who mainly populate this forum , to at least consider the possibility of popularizing the idea of how a negotiated peace settlement could have avoided all these dreadful ( near ) certainties ?

In short if peace can't be given a chance right now , can't the possibility of it remain open sometime several generations later , when Ukrainians/Russians/all the peoples of the world in general will have the full opportunity to look at this conflict as something that should have been completely avoided ?
Too bad, William Blakeley will never become a president of Ukraine for all its problems to disappear.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:00 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
Well here is another $3 Billion in aide

https://theprint.in/world/biden-anno...e-day/1098163/

Quote:
As part of that commitment, I am proud to announce our biggest tranche of security assistance to date: approximately $2.98 billion of weapons and equipment to be provided through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative. This will allow Ukraine to acquire air defense systems, artillery systems and munitions, counter-unmanned aerial systems, and radars to ensure it can continue to defend itself over the long term.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:02 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...ment-august-23
Russia admits "stealing" 1000 Ukrainian children.

"Russian government sources confirmed that Russia is bringing Ukrainian children to Russia and having Russian families adopt them. Russian federal subject (region) Krasnodar Krai’s Family and Childhood Administration posted about a program under which Russian authorities transferred over 1,000 children from Mariupol to Tyumen, Irkutsk, Kemerov, and Altay Krai where Russian families have adopted them.[1] The Administration stated that over 300 children are still waiting to “meet their new families” and that citizens who decide to adopt these children will be provided with a one-time bonus by the state.[2] Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) additionally reported that Russian officials transferred 30 Ukrainian children from Khartsyzk, Ilovaysk, and Zuhres in occupied Donetsk Oblast to Nizhny Novgorod under the guise of having the children participate in youth educational-training programs.[3] The forcible transfer of children of one group to another “with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group“ is a violation of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.[4]..."

Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Well here is another $3 Billion in aide

https://theprint.in/world/biden-anno...e-day/1098163/
More good news....

Today is 6 months since the start of the Russia-Ukraine War...

Also today is the 31st anniversary of Ukraine inpendence

The war will soon be turning in Ukraine favor....

Old 08-24-2022, 10:23 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I thought I made it clear; I don't care one whit what America may have done or Ukraine may have done.
That much has been vividly clear for many months now considering the consistent and predictable pattern one notices when reading your posts, assuming one pays attention - and this pattern consists of your posts being largely bereft of the facts and of you being unmoved by them.

This is precisely what I wrote here yesterday. Many Americans and quite a few C-D posters suffer from historical illiteracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am only interested in seeing Russia destroyed.
No interest in what happens to Ukraine, although I am sure they will be better off not being bombed.
Russia cannot rise in the future. The declining population and poverty resulting from this misadventure insures that. Just like Cuba. Venezuela. Venezuela has the largest oil reserve on earth and yet they are poverty-bound. That is my wish for Russia.

My position is not hard to understand.
This is probably one of the most callous and morally depraved posts I've ever come across in what is now a 15-year stint as a poster on C-D.

Having no interest in Ukraine's fate means that if Ukraine is bombed to the extent all of it looks like razed Japanese cities looked at the end of the Pacific War, you would not care - despite the fact this would mean the deaths of millions of Ukrainians. Fortunately, the Russian Federation has neither the desire nor the strategic need to turn Ukraine to rubble, although were Ukraine to end up looking like a wasteland, it would not be in anybody's interest - certainly not yours.

You have repeatedly written here that Russia is evil and you and other posters cite ostensible Russian crimes against Ukrainian civilians, but the very fact that you don't care about what happens to Ukraine - which is inseparable from what happens to Ukrainian civilians - demonstrates a highly inconsistent position on your part.

You want Russia destroyed? What did Russian civilians who have absolutely zero involvement with this Russian special military operation do to deserve seeing their country destroyed?

And even if you don't mean the nuclear obliteration of Russia, you ignore the wide-ranging and extremely dangerous ramifications on a geopolitical level if Russia as it exists ceases to exist and becomes a group of highly weakened, unconnected, loose states. A fearsome military arsenal and many nuclear weapons will be up for grabs. These factors would make life dangerous for innocent civilians and for uninvolved governments of nations neighboring Russia, which includes former Soviet republics as well as countries in eastern Europe and also Japan and South Korea, who are both staunch U.S. allies.

Poverty-bound? Let's say that's all that happens, although it won't. Why? Why do you want this to happen? Do you realize a lot of decent, hardworking, and fine Russian civilians who have done nothing bad or evil, whether to Ukraine or to YOU, will suffer greatly if their country becomes poor like Cuba?

Your posts indicate without equivocation that you lack the foresight to consider the scenarios that you so desire insofar as to what such scenarios would mean in a real-world sense.

Thankfully, Russia is on its way to victory; should it include the aforementioned objectives of removing the thug racist criminals Azov, Svoboda, and Right Sector from any position with any power, this will greatly help the very Ukrainians whose fates are irrelevant to you.

Last edited by Sprawling_Homeowner; 08-24-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies