Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.50%
No 245 50.94%
Unsure 46 9.56%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:34 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...ussian-economy

Here is interesting article for you read, from an unbiased source. It really puts the sanctions into perspective. Basically, have they hurt the Russian economy, yes. Are they destroying the Russian economy as promised, no. One interesting takeaway I didn't think about was how sanctions create an opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people, as they rid competition or create a void that needs to be filled?
Oh yes, entrepreneurial minded Russians have filled the vacuum left by foreign companies. Their McDonald and Coca Cola replacements will help them plug the gaps left in people's stomachs which is far more important to the war effort than plugging the gaps left by foreign companies no longer selling them the parts for their tanks and planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:39 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
One of India's main imports from Russia is military hardware. With the way it has performed in actual action, I can't help but think that they're looking for a return policy in the fine print right now.
In what ways have they not performed? As I understand they have caused countless destruction. Isn't that the purpose of weapons? I could understand if the gun failed to shoot, or the bomb failed to explode.

Weaponry is only one aspect of warfare. Strategy and willpower are just as if not more important. Russian hardware is purchased because it is cheap, easy to modify, and comes with less restrictions on its use unlike western counterpart weaponry. The combination of these factors will always make them attractive.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:46 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...ussian-economy

Here is interesting article for you read, from an unbiased source. It really puts the sanctions into perspective. Basically, have they hurt the Russian economy, yes. Are they destroying the Russian economy as promised, no. One interesting takeaway I didn't think about was how sanctions create an opportunity for entrepreneurial minded people, as they rid competition or create a void that needs to be filled?
Interesting enough.
Your position is still the same - it hasn't happened yet so it probably can't. As you know, I don't buy that.

The article asks rhetorical questions. Here's one:
"Can Russia successfully rebuild its economy on a new foundation or is doomed to years of economic and technological decline?"

As most people know, Russia is in for years of sanctions, not months. Even al-Jazeera opinion writers know that.
We do know one thing. Russia's economy in five years will be a fraction of what it was in 2021. We don't know what that fraction is, but we will find out. Meanwhile, Europe is well on its way toward living in a world without Russia. Russia does not seem to realize that it must learn to live without Europe. And North America. And Australia. And Japan. Those countries make up the $250B in trade Russia must now learn to do without.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:45 PM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Actually it is quite simple, sovereign country invades another sovereign country for act of aggression the invading country is wrong, period!

And yes that includes the U.S for a number of wars in the last few centuries!

The thing is that one could using this perspective declare any number of actors in military conflicts throughout history to be the " good/bad guys " respectively , thus in the process turning a large percentage of history into an overly simplistic moral exercise , that is completely bankrupt in terms of offering any real insight or ( much more importantly ) lessons as to how to avoid military conflict in the future .

Putting the main focus on who's right/wrong is completely and utterly futile if the purpose one wants to achieve is a sustainable solution , which is ( naturally ) the cause I am a partisan of .

Old 08-30-2022, 01:55 PM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
There is nothing to elaborate on, Some other posters already did.

Stop verbal masturbation.

As you wish , though I'm going to hazard a guess that not only I but ( perhaps ) many others would find themselves much more enlightened if you were to direct the expression of your disagreement at my arguments , as opposed to my use of admittedly very much flowery vocabulary .

On that note though I shall nonetheless give you some rep points ASAP , since it has always been my policy to attempt to extend a sense of chivalry ( if you will ) to all my critics , as vainglorious in overall character as it may seem to many .

Last edited by William Blakeley; 08-30-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Not entirely. A few days ago, Turkey dismissed US sanctions as 'meaningless' and choose to do business with Russia. I've been waiting to see what the US reaction would be, and they have not sanctioned Turkey. Turkey stood the US down. US can't afford to make another enemy, especially a nation like Turkey. Overall trade with turkey has hit highwater which will blow up the number you quoted earlier about Europe's 250-billion-dollar number. To be accurate you will need to take Turkey off your 'unfriendly' to Russia list.
Turkey.
Wow.
That ought to change everything. This saves Russia from sure bankruptcy, right?
Nah. Turkey announced back in March they would not be sanctioning Russia.

Turkey buys $13.1B from Russia, including gas a oil. Think they can raise that to $250B?
Put Turkey wherever you like. Russian warships are still not allowed to pass through the straits.

Last edited by Listener2307; 08-30-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 03:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Russian tourists in Kazakhstan being confronted for displaying the Zwastika…

“…Today it’s a Z sticker, tomorrow you will come with a tank…”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19jdzG19SY

Old 08-30-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
What it does demonstrate is nations are willing to snub their noses to US sanctions...and the US will back down. This is happening more now than in the past.
Jeez.
First it was "sanctions don't work", then "China and India will save Russia", then "Turkey will save Russia" and and now "The US is going to back down".
Nah.

Sanctions on Russia from the free world will be in place for years after this war is settled. Russia never saw it coming and will be impoverished because of them.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
Deny's update today 8/30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxb7-Lbe7Q

Old 08-30-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
................I view with a lot of skepticism when people try to speak as to what a nation knew. I suspect that Russia considered all possible consequences, and nevertheless took this route knowing the possible or likely risks. I'll believe the 'impoverished' line when I see it. For now, they have enough interested nations to not be impoverished, and the trend isn't reversing. Most African nations, Asian nations, South American nations aren't sanctioning Russia and that constitutes most of the world. I think they will be able to weather sanctions. US standard of living is taking a hit as of late, and I would suspect we would endure as well.
Pretty funny.
First you "view with skepticism what countries knew" and then you go on to announce what Russia must have known and considered.
Then, like other Rooskateers, you point out Russia is not impoverished now (therefore it will not happen) and opine they will be able to weather sanctions.

Nah. Russia is toast. They thought this whole adventure would be a walk in the park. They failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies