Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 187 40.04%
No 235 50.32%
Unsure 45 9.64%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 11:31 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,628,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I believe you. Because your misunderstanding of the conflict is on the level above mere tactics. (Not that Russian tactics have been impressive.)

By any reasonable military damage assessment, the US crushed the VC and the NVA.

War is politics. It's not fought for points.
We weren't defending our home territory in Vietnam.
And, any time we wanted to, we could have cranked it full force and completely destroyed North Vietnam.
We just chose not to. And left due to public displeasure.
Putin will not be like that....I'm 99% sure of that.
We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 11:32 AM

5,214 posts, read 2,989,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And, any time we wanted to, we could have cranked it full force and completely destroyed North Vietnam.
We will see.
I asked this earlier and you didnt answer. When you say he could end this, are you talking about nuclear or conventional?

Old 11-28-2022, 11:33 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,711,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Jeez, what's with all the hysterical people all of a sudden? We go along talking about the war and the strategy and so forth and all of a sudden we're talking about the US invading Colorado and NATO fully engaged with Russia, but failing. Kinda strange.

I like what George Friedman says, which was, paraphrased, "Europe doesn't take action; they take positions. They prefer the US do whatever defending Europe needs from time to time, and then later they criticize the US".
It's nice that European countries have stepped up and provided a little of this and that, but The US can do it alone if we have to. They were foolish to do business with Russia the way they did, and they were told they were being foolish. Population decline, it seems, will change more about enormous Russia than it will over-crowded Europe.
Ukraine will do well in the future. Between its agricultural abilities and its energy reserves, it just doesn't need all that many people.
Russia has shown clearly that it lacks the logistics to win this war.
Well there have been rumors along with Canadians massing at the border...everybody stay alert.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:36 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,711,132 times
Quote:
We will see.
You just undermined your entire argument...the Ukrainians ARE defending their home territory.....look at what happened to the US in Vietnam.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:37 AM

46,896 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
So close to an insight.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
"If he wanted to" Oh please! Yea he can...with unconventional weapons. He can't using a conventional military that's for sure. Putin can't even mention a "Full Mobilization" of his people without dire consequences and the partial mobilizations are a debacle...they didn't have the logistics to shelter, feed. clothe, equip or train the so called 300,000 man mobilization...they couldn't even mobilize 80,000 troops. He's just throwing cannon fodder at the problem. There is no elite calvary on the way...what you see is what you get and it's pretty pathetic. The only goal Russia has attained is humiliating themselves on the world stage.
He has not used anywhere near his capacity to deploy air power and/or launch missle strikes.
He doesn't want it to be completely destroyed.
Notice that you have not seen those relentless rocket attacks that the Russians are known for.
But...he certainly could if he decided to. And, I believe, as a "last resort"...he will.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:54 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,978,771 times
Quote:
We will see.
...defending our 'home territory', you say...i don't know about that...i spent twenty two months in that ****hole; a hole in my shoulder and a pronounced limp in my left leg is all i have to show for it....and it looked nothing like South Boston, my home territory...

...anyone who thinks there is any glory in war has never been in combat...

Old 11-28-2022, 12:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 988,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Jeez, what's with all the hysterical people all of a sudden? We go along talking about the war and the strategy and so forth and all of a sudden we're talking about the US invading Colorado and NATO fully engaged with Russia, but failing. Kinda strange.

I like what George Friedman says, which was, paraphrased, "Europe doesn't take action; they take positions. They prefer the US do whatever defending Europe needs from time to time, and then later they criticize the US".
It's nice that European countries have stepped up and provided a little of this and that, but The US can do it alone if we have to. They were foolish to do business with Russia the way they did, and they were told they were being foolish. Population decline, it seems, will change more about enormous Russia than it will over-crowded Europe.
Ukraine will do well in the future. Between its agricultural abilities and its energy reserves, it just doesn't need all that many people.
Russia has shown clearly that it lacks the logistics to win this war.
We always clean up Europe's problems when war threatens in the region. Always reluctantly and late but in the end it's the same. Left to their own devices they are feckless, tribal and weak. Lately they've had the Russian gas needle in their arm and most countries have been behind on their NATO commitments for years and years. Their economies are sluggish and they've become a collection of majority have-nots coasting off of the backs of a few remaining functional contributors. Of course they can't defend a European country on their own against Russia even moribund as it is.

I am ok with the US pumping billions worth of pain into the skull cavities and tank turrets of the Russian military. At the same time I am aware that once again it's the US cleaning up a European mess.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...defending our 'home territory', you say...i don't know about that...i spent twenty two months in that ****hole; a hole in my shoulder and a pronounced limp in my left leg is all i have to show for it....and it looked nothing like South Boston, my home territory...

...anyone who thinks there is any glory in war has never been in combat...
Read it again...I said "We weren't defending our home territory in Vietnam."
You musta missed that.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:11 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,978,771 times
Quote:
Read it again...I said "We weren't defending our home territory in Vietnam."
You musta missed that.
..thank you, point taken, i did misread it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies