Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 10:26 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times

Advertisements

If you've never heard of or taken the time to read about this experiment it's fascinating.

I can't help but draw parallels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

Old 05-25-2022, 10:27 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
That's for sociologists. And you presume to have discovered THE root cause?! That's doubtful.
You're correct, there isn't a "root cause" , there are many of them. None of which are being addressed by adding laws, restrictions, or bans that only the law abiding will follow.

Doubtful ? That is your opinion, which your entitled to. Mine differs from yours, it's okay.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:27 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Don't try to pretend that wasn't a "gotcha" attempt. It was, and it was a poor example picture, to boot.

If I'd have said "the bottom one, obviously" with no further extrapolation, what would you have thought?
Again, you have no idea what my motives are. Stop pretending you know anything about what I'm trying to get the OP to understand.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If the issue is second amendment self-defense, then why don’t we invent a smart gun for civilians that uses GPS and camera capabilities to only fire bullets when the trigger is pulled and the aim is on someone who is also in possession of a gun?

So this would be a true self-defense weapon where the gun specifically will fire only on aggressors and automatically not allow any firings on anyone else. This could be a gun for the home. It could also have the capability to fire as normal but only for a separate cartridge where the bullets are non-fatal such as bibi gun bullets which would be a tool for scaring perpetrators and causing minor injury without causing death.
No. The American people wish to have an offensive capability beyond what is needed for "defense." The government lacks the right to restrict that.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:29 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
No oxymoronic at all. That is, unless you believe a law will be followed universally. Then no one would become a criminal by criminally obtaining a gun.
The one universal thing is, criminals don't GAF about laws. So good luck trying to come up with a law, that will prevent a criminal from getting a firearm without violating the rights of others. If you figure that one out, you should contact the Biden administration and present this to them. You'd be a hero.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:30 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Somebody been watching too many movies.
We've just gotta' pray that people who think like the OP don't vote.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, you have no idea what my motives are. Stop pretending you know anything about what I'm trying to get the OP to understand.
Yeah, sure.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:31 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
NO! You want a civil war, this is how to do it, and YOU are on the losing end!
How would that turn out? The other side won't have any guns because they think they should be banned. So only one side would have access to guns and ammo.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:31 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That's exactly my point. In Britain they don't have a second amendment. They have gun control laws. And yet they are not laboring under tyrannical government oppression over there, are they?

And by the way, in Britain they are innocent until proven guilty. Our judicial system was mostly based on the English one.
The laws are fine. The problem is obviously Americans.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:32 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I'm not checking out a broken window or a kicked in door at 2am with a dang bat.
Things to consider:

1. A bat will not go through the wall and kill a neighbor. I have a friend whose daughter was killed by her husband when he was cleaning his pistol and forgot there was a round in the chamber.

2. McDonald v. IL turned on home self-defense with a pistol but a coach gun may be better and was already legal. SCOTUS and the city's lawyers not being that familiar with guns, they did not bring that fact up. A shotgun is much safer bu harder to bring to bear on a target indoors.

3. A dog is a great early-warning system. Can you imagine what the result is if you shoot someone in your house? I've shot deer and the result is not pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies