Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Takes about $20 and 5 minutes to put sights on an AR. Or just buy one that has sights on it. They do sell them that way.
I was being sarcastic to annoy the anti gunners that based on those 2 pictures the 2 guns had the same capabilities but the mini14 was more dangerous since it has sights.

That's all nothing more nothing less

Old 05-25-2022, 11:21 AM

1,224 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If the issue is second amendment self-defense, then why don’t we invent a smart gun for civilians that uses GPS and camera capabilities to only fire bullets when the trigger is pulled and the aim is on someone who is also in possession of a gun?

So this would be a true self-defense weapon where the gun specifically will fire only on aggressors and automatically not allow any firings on anyone else. This could be a gun for the home. It could also have the capability to fire as normal but only for a separate cartridge where the bullets are non-fatal such as bibi gun bullets which would be a tool for scaring perpetrators and causing minor injury without causing death.
Why not just install precrime like in Minority Report lol.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:24 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If the issue is second amendment self-defense, then why don’t we invent a smart gun for civilians that uses GPS and camera capabilities to only fire bullets when the trigger is pulled and the aim is on someone who is also in possession of a gun?

So this would be a true self-defense weapon where the gun specifically will fire only on aggressors and automatically not allow any firings on anyone else. This could be a gun for the home. It could also have the capability to fire as normal but only for a separate cartridge where the bullets are non-fatal such as bibi gun bullets which would be a tool for scaring perpetrators and causing minor injury without causing death.
1. so if a big guy is coming at me with an axe, it wont shoot???....nope

2. so shoot to maim, but not to kill..... sounds like a law suit waiting to happen

Old 05-25-2022, 11:24 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Why not have armed guards at schools? Too simple?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
That sounds a lot like what Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders proposed in the 1990's... "safer weapons, safer bullets"
And just as well-founded and intelligent.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:45 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Things to consider:

1. A bat will not go through the wall and kill a neighbor. I have a friend whose daughter was killed by her husband when he was cleaning his pistol and forgot there was a round in the chamber.

2. McDonald v. IL turned on home self-defense with a pistol but a coach gun may be better and was already legal. SCOTUS and the city's lawyers not being that familiar with guns, they did not bring that fact up. A shotgun is much safer bu harder to bring to bear on a target indoors.

3. A dog is a great early-warning system. Can you imagine what the result is if you shoot someone in your house? I've shot deer and the result is not pretty.
We could rationalize outlawing sunshine, due to the potential for skin cancer, but I think most people would find that ridiculous, if not at least unwise.

But here’s the issue with these many rationalizations …. more often than not these days, they are based on lies. And a great example of this is regarding the new narratives being constructed out of whole cloth regarding gun violence that are outright lies.

One of the most recent examples is the new list of lies about children victims of guns. Now, the claim is that more kids die from gunshot wounds, than from cancer, or car accidents or accidental drowning… etc. And it all comes in the waves of lies by the same usual suspects, and verified by those gatekeepers of the truth, like politifact, fact-check org, Snopes, and the many other con artist establishment liars that will insist that up is really down.

The truth is … and it was not very long ago that this fact had not yet fallen victim to the fact-checker censors at the Ministry of Truth …. but kids were far more likely to accidentally die from drowning in a pool or bathtub than to die from a gunshot. And it’s still true, but a truth which is inconvenient to the narrative, so it has become false, by decree, not actual facts.

This is precisely why we cannot allow the criminal liars to turn “Shall not be infringed” into “must be infringed to save the children”. Because these people are agenda driven liars who will say anything to further their agenda.

And if this reality has managed to escape your notice, I suggest the cure is simply to open your eyes.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:49 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I believe murder is already frowned upon.
But people still do it.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:56 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
But people still do it.
That's kind of the point.

Laws, no matter what laws they are, will be broken by those willing to break them.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of my notable traits is my audacity......what would stop me?

If I am defending my life in my house, I will use anything for that purpose. If it means tipping one of my curio cabinets, with all its precious memories, down on someone......you better believe it.
I don’t think a curio cabinet would be an effective strategy against armed gang bangers covered in MS13 tattoos. But any act of self defense is better than none, so I applaud your fighting spirit!

However, your odds of surviving such a situation would improve dramatically with the assistance of a 9mm, 45 cal, or a good 6 shot pump action. Just the eerie sound of racking a shotgun in the quiet of night is often enough to encourage a burglar to change his mind, and look for an escape quickly.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 PM

291 posts, read 159,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I absolutely agree, but don't hold your breath. Addressing one of the real root causes will hurt some feelings and if politicians started talking about it, their careers would be over. No one wants to hear the truth, it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
100000%

I'm a huge gun advocate. I'm huge gun rights supporter.

We need to have an honest discussion about hard topics that a lot of people won't want to get to the bottom of. People, politicians and media need to stop making this political. It won't get anywhere where people just default to their political views.

We need to understand and treat the disease not the symptoms.

Guns aren't the problem. This country has been swimming in guns from before it was founded. Something has changed recently where these events are now too frequent.

We need to take an honest look into topics like;

Age of maturity, decision making, responsibility, accountability

The role of father's and dad's, a nuclear family, having a mom being attentive and available to raising children and how feminism has impacted children's environments

The decreasing religiousness and spirituality of this country and the loss of morality

The effect of covid lockdown and isolation socially and via social media in an increasing virtual world.

The affect of the media making people outraged or feeling hopeless

The affect of social media negativity and algorithms feeding people non stop garbage warping their sense of reality.

Violent videogames, movies etc

Those are just a few topics to start talking about. That's where this conversation needs to start and end. It has nothing to do with AR15s, body armor, standard capacity magazines. That's all crap and just a political power grab that isn't interested in solving the problem.

We need to identify and stop the thought process of "I'm going to go kill elementary students, commit a mass murder, etc..." Before that thought ever occurs. It should NEVER occur ever. Preventing someone from getting to that thought process is how you stop mass shootings.
I can't like this quote enough. All responsible gun owners want to keep the guns out of the hands of people who use them to hurt innocent people, children especially.

Talking about how to do that is secondary to getting at the root cause. I would second all of the things you have listed. They have a material affect in creating killers. I would also add the depravity of Hollywood. Why are family oriented sitcoms a thing of the past? I'm not a sanctimonious person, but the cultural rot in our society is bearing fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies