Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Good grief! That everyone you meet could be a potential killer which therefore requires you (ala A2) to carry a weapon at all times to defend yourselves has been ingrained into your minds since birth? This is pretty much the message I get from reading many of these posts. Does this sound like 'freedom'?
Thanks to our horrible judicial system, there are areas of this country that are like 3rd world countries. Many inner cities are like battlefields and some of us are required to go into some of them.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Good grief! That everyone you meet could be a potential killer which therefore requires you (ala A2) to carry a weapon at all times to defend yourselves has been ingrained into your minds since birth? This is pretty much the message I get from reading many of these posts. Does this sound like 'freedom'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Thanks to our horrible judicial system, there are areas of this country that are like 3rd world countries. Many inner cities are like battlefields and some of us are required to go into some of them.
A drive-by response without the need for an explanation?

Old 05-27-2022, 08:52 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
[color="Navy"]Good grief! That everyone you meet could be a potential killer which therefore requires you (ala A2) to carry a weapon at all times to defend yourselves has been ingrained into your minds since birth? This is pretty much the message I get from reading many of these posts. Does this sound like 'freedom'?
Yes, it does very much, thank you.

"... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-27-2022, 08:53 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
A drive-by response without the need for an explanation?
If you don't know that gangs control the inner cities and most have committed numerous felonies but have been turned loose to do it again, you have been hiding in your mom's basement. And people need guns to defend themselves from that crowd, the authorities sure won't do anything.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:33 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yes, it does very much, thank you.

"... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
I wish more posters on CD would listen to that advice!

As citizens, we have the NUMBERS in our favor, we could put a stop to the tyrannical govt anytime we like, if people just band together and refuse to tolerate it any longer.

We need to STOP obeying and complying with laws that violate our Constitutional rights and actually step up to exercise or 2nd Amendment rights, instead of whining and crying about it.

The founders gave us the 2A, the least we can do is DEFEND IT. (in reality these people that are calling for tougher gun laws...they are actually 'national security threats' and traitors to their country)

Old 05-28-2022, 12:59 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default Finally Some Clear Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The constitution was made in 1787 yet mass shootings are a relatively recent phenomena and they make up a small percentage of shootings. If guns were the problem then you would have seen centuries of widespread mass shootings, however, this is not the case. The problem stems from modern cultural issues that have nothing to do with guns. "Reasonable gun laws" aren't a thing. It is just a way to ignore the real issues and do nothing to solve it. It's just as effective as BLM is in fighting "white supremacy."
Your post represents some rare clear thinking.

Round and round and round we go. Back in 2016 I posted on the issue of "security theater." Wyckoff Police Chief Benjamin Fox takes leave after profiling email (excerpt):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Officer Benjamin
My major concern is that all of this misguided complaining about police officers will cause an officer to react slower to something you might perceive as a threat. That delay could be deadly. Continue to do your job relying on your training, instincts and knowledge: A common thread in the recent national incidents are persons who resist the police. That resistance then creates your counter reaction. We don't run from fights. This department has a history of being respected by the public. Each of you contribute to that daily. Continue to be fair with people and treat them with respect. If someone resists your authorized demands, use your counter reaction as the law allows and you have my 100 support should others complain. If you have done your job correctly, they don't want to get me on the other end of the phone. Above all, do what you have to do and that which the law allows you to do to remain safe.
Back in 2015 I went to drop a cell phone off for my son at his high school. He had called and I said I would leave it at the principal's office. I was greeted at the front door by a friendly and pleasant security guard. I had to leave it with him. We got to talking. I pointed out that back in the day I visited my high school alma mater and went right to teachers' offices, and to my old club offices. Now that would be impossible. He pointed out that there used to be all kinds of entrances and exits that people could use. Now every entrance is a cluster and a delay, all because of the one-off incident in Sandy Hook. We went centuries before Sandy Hook without such rules; are there suddenly hundreds of monsters out there that would kill children? Remember most such tragedies, such as Columbine, involve current students, not outsiders.
Another posting was about a Disabled St. Jude patient who was apparently badly mistreated by the TSA in Tennessee. I have thought long and hard about these issues and started several threads over the last year on this subject. Specifically I wonder why sophisticated, intelligent and busy people, whose time is valuable, don't object to the TSA gelling up the air travel system, with little gain as to stopping terrorism. People meekly take off their shoes, since one person approximately fifteen years ago, The Shoe Bomber's World, tried to blow up a plane with a bomb hidden in his sneaker. Presumably a similar response to the December 25, 2009 Underwear bomber attack would have imposed some difficulties so nothing similar was done to require people to fully disrobe at airports.

Lots of security theater; little actual security.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:17 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
So do I. I never said that I agreed with any "appointed" judge. Especially activist Left wing justices who take it upon themselves to legislate from the bench regardless of whether it's Constitutional or not. I only stated what the actual ruling said. Whether we agree with it or not. It's the job of the Supreme Court to be the final arbiter of Constitutional law.

We can thank God that they ruled in our favor in the Heller/McDonald decisions that confirmed that the 2nd Amendment is indeed an individual right unrelated to service in a militia and applies to weapons that are in "common use". Had they ruled against us we'd be screwed. Keep in mind that it was a 5 to 4 decision and could have easily gone the other way. That's the kind of ***t that we're up against.

At this point in time we now have 6 justices that more than likely will rule in our favor. In fact they are about to rule in a case brought by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. (NYSRPA) challenging New York's arbitrary and capricious handgun licensing system. By all indications it looks like that ruling will be in our favor as well.

We have to make sure we vote for and encourage people to only vote for politicians that will appoint strict Constitutionalists/Originalists to the courts if we are ever going to preserve our individual civil liberties as outlined in the Bill of Rights.
"We can thank God that they ruled in our favor"

I've said for a while, many gun laws were NOT challenged because the left appointed judges, which most judges were, would NOT rule in favor of the 2nd Amendment.

obama left around 200 judgeships vacant ASSuming hillary would win and she would be appointing liberal judges for all those spots.

Trump winning blew a hole in their plans.

Thank GOD Trump was able to appoint so many Constitutionalist judges, and NOW, as I predicted, MANY of these old laws will now be challenged.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:32 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yeah, kind of like when they raised the age to buy alcohol to 21?

Im sure many on here remember HOW EASY it was to obtain booze underage. Kids still do it today as well, its pretty easy for someone under 21 to obtain alcohol.
That's ridiculous. The legal drinking age being 21 does cut down on drinking by young people. I didn't start using alcohol until I was 20 and even then it was because I had friends older than me that could buy it. I didn't get my booze from some criminal on the black market. I wouldn't have even thought to do that.

We penalize people who buy for minors when caught. We can and do penalize people who provide firearms for people who should not have them. There is a father being charged right now who gave his son his guns back after his schizophrenia rules him ineligible. The son went and killed a bunch of people and now the father is in big trouble.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:22 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wish more posters on CD would listen to that advice!

As citizens, we have the NUMBERS in our favor, we could put a stop to the tyrannical govt anytime we like, if people just band together and refuse to tolerate it any longer.

We need to STOP obeying and complying with laws that violate our Constitutional rights and actually step up to exercise or 2nd Amendment rights, instead of whining and crying about it.

The founders gave us the 2A, the least we can do is DEFEND IT. (in reality these people that are calling for tougher gun laws...they are actually 'national security threats' and traitors to their country)
You have a right to your opinions as you so most definitely have stated. However Those little kids and their 2 teachers are not even buried yet, and you have the audacity to come on the internet and make such comments. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's ridiculous. The legal drinking age being 21 does cut down on drinking by young people. I didn't start using alcohol until I was 20 and even then it was because I had friends older than me that could buy it. I didn't get my booze from some criminal on the black market. I wouldn't have even thought to do that.

We penalize people who buy for minors when caught. We can and do penalize people who provide firearms for people who should not have them. There is a father being charged right now who gave his son his guns back after his schizophrenia rules him ineligible. The son went and killed a bunch of people and now the father is in big trouble.
That is hilarious, we never relied on anyone to buy us alcohol when we were 16 and 17, we knew the places to go that would sell it, (same thing goes on today too in case you didnt know).

Guns are just as easy obtained by people that really want them. I sold some guns for a friend that was going into a nursing home not long ago, sold them over the classifieds, buyer came and we agreed on price and he was out the door with multiple hand guns. deal was completed with shaking of hands. LOL Easy peasy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies