Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 04:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why must every defense of gun rights resort to the slippery slope argument? I just don't get it. Isn't there another logical fallacy that can be used to defend that stance. Why can't it just be guns are far too easy to purchase in this country and we cannot have that? I haven't heard anyone asking for prohibition of firearms at all.
Because it has been demonstrated that is what happens.

One only has to look at the current move to raise the age of buying rifles to 21.....for they prohibited the buying of pistols by those under 21 already.

For whatever motivation, though never let a crisis go to waste seems like a good one, they take away something, something happens later, and they come back to take away more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yet, since when did a family member of a Republican in Congress or state legislature get murdered in a mass shooting? Never?
What about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congre...eball_shooting
Or Gabby Giffords? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting

Of course, since they aren't dead or maybe they are under different definitions, they don't count.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-29-2022 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2022, 04:38 AM

278 posts, read 81,312 times
I think "infringed" refers to the natural right to defend oneself. But that in turn may be abridged by local laws; hence, different requirements for guns across various states.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:57 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's for sure!!! Add to that more and more state's are going "Constitutional Carry" as of now there are 25.

The issue before the Supreme Court is whether the 2nd Amendment applies outside the home. A ruling is expected this June.

If the Supreme Court rules in our favor and overturns New York's arbitrary and capricious handgun licensing system and it looks like they will. As long as people are able to lawfully carry within their home state. They will be able to freely carry a sidearm throughout the entire United States without running afoul of individual state's gun laws. I do not think that it will do away any state's permitting system in those state's that require a permit. However they will not be able to turn anyone down without having any justifiable cause such as New York. New York leaves it up to the whim of a licensing officer to have the final word as to whether a license will be issued or not. Typically the licensing officer is a county judge.

I'm getting ahead of myself on this one. If the Supreme Court rules in our favor I expect there will be challenges to individual state's licensing systems. God only knows how they would rule on that? Ideally it would be for Constitutional Carry for the entire United States. This whole piling on of gun control laws has gotten totally out of hand every since they passed New York's Sullivan Act in 1911. They haven't solved a God damn thing. Criminals will always be criminals and they'll always have access to guns regardless of how many laws are passed.
" They will be able to freely carry a sidearm throughout the entire United States without running afoul of individual state's gun laws.

"Artilce IV, Section 2
Section 2.

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's your intended "interpretation" of what the Constitution literally says that's a straw man.
"It's your intended "interpretation" of what the Constitution literally says that's a straw man"

Which is why it is so important to know what the writers actually meant when the discussed an issue concerning the Constitution.
And we we READ their quotes on the issues.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Emerging science about brain development suggests that most people do not reach full maturity until the age of 25.

When applying for proof of identity one is allowed to submit a number of articles
whether a license, or birth certificate,marriage certificate, etc... etc....

I suggest 25 years old is a good place to start.
As a hypothetical,
A 21 year old and proof of military service,law enforcement can supersede the 25 years of age minimal requirement.

Type of gun ? Similar conditions...........................
adding proof of history and ongoing gun training ..........
as compared to DMV Defensive Driving School to keep your driving skills in tip top shape.

I do not believe in laws that you have to jump thru hoops in order to own a gun.
I believe in laws that can fairly put guns in the hands of any safe and responsible American.
"Emerging science about brain development suggests that most people do not reach full maturity until the age of 25."
Using your "logic" then they should NOT be able to a drivers license until 25 also.

I mean, who wants immature people having access to very large "killing weapons', like cars and trucks?

The problem I have that we see with many on the left is, they want to take away things from the MILLIONS when we only a very small % of those that are guilty.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We don't allow 18-20 to purchase liquor. Maybe we should but there are 18+ age cutoffs elsewhere.
"We don't allow 18-20 to purchase liquor"

SOME state DO, so STOP with the all inclusive false claims!

You DON'T know, yet ASSume just because of what your state does.

Kinda erases your credibility.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
What escapes me is the continue focus on the gun(s) rather then the individual(s).

To repeat... the second amendment never mentions guns. The issue is the RIGHT to defend yourself via the right to bear arms. Arms can be MANY different things. The amendment is about YOUR human right of self defense and guarantees that right. Arms can be anything to defend yourself. The words "keep and bear arms" has meaning.

What I contend is any place that doesn't allow individuals arms for self defense (schools, work, etc) , in this case firearms, then that entity or organization must assume that responsibility and provide appropriate security.

As a side note... has any screaming liberal ever changed anyone's mind, that guns are the problem? At what point does the left realize that the issue is the finger not the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies