Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 12:00 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Please share them then.

I think the breakdown of the family is probably the one with the biggest effect.
Many/most of these shooters have functional, even loving families that they live with,
This is not a major factor in my research.

I'd put the bulk of blame on anger and rage
Anger caused by unrealistic expectations of
1-the opposite sex and sexuality
2-he kind of life they think they deserve to live
3-feeling unsuccessful in life and blaming other
4-bullying
also
1-clinical mental illness, untreated because of changes in our medical system
2- gun culture and violence worship
3- places on the dark web where this is considered normal and even to be praised.\
4-the price and ease of getting weapons and body armor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 PM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Sad to say, but there could be a mass shooting where half of Congress is murdered or lets say a quarter of Congress in murdered in a mass shooting and nothing will change.
A Bernie Sanders supporter tried that at a GOP softball practice.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Tell that to the loved ones of all the innocent that have died, that they had to sacrifice their lives for the nation's freedom.

You're right. America is unique when compared to other nations that have a high rate of gun ownership.
We have shown that as a nation, we are not responsible enough to handle firearms.
We have mass shootings on a regular basis and nothing is ever done.
We have no one to blame but ourselves.
99% of all gun owners never commit a gun crime. You can't make it illegal to be crazy.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:05 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
99% of all gun owners never commit a gun crime. You can't make it illegal to be crazy.
What is your source for that 99% or did you just pull that number out of your ass?

Old 05-25-2022, 12:07 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
There is more than one thing that has caused the moral decay of our society. Please share some of what you think. I've shared some of what I think it was. The list is much longer than that though. The fact of the matter is, something changed in our society the last couple of decades that is responsible for this. We may not agree on all of what cause the change, but its blatantly obvious something did.
There is always more than one thing happening. Family breakdown in American started down its spiral back in the 60s. No-fault divorce and fourth-wave feminism were factors in normalizing single-parent families.

The post-WWII prosperity bubble buoyed lifestyle expectations for the Boomer Generation, and then its collapse in the latter 60s was a factor in normalizing two-income families.

Electronic media, particularly television and now even more the Internet, took over the role of transmitting culture from parents and community. That's a factor.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Who closed the mental hospitals? Was that Reagan? Okay, they were barbaric and never helped anyone, but there were supposed to be replacements that would help people. However, the government never got around to building any such facilities or hiring people to help the mentally ill.

So we have wayward people sleeping in the streets, teenagers with mental health problems--and no one helps them. Prevention by identifying and helping them would be a good step. And a place to keep them while they are getting the much needed help. Rehab centers or counseling centers where they can live and get round the clock help, not be out on the street doing crazy things.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Lol, of course. And you wonder why this hasn't been done, sorry, people don't want to fund others. My wife and I pay for our own health care out of pocket, so can others. The only exception would be for those physically or mentally unable to provide for themselves.
If you or your child had a psychiatric break and had to be hospitalized. The negotiated price is about 2000 per day. The billing price is much much higher.
So say you need to be treated for a month. that's 60K just for the inpatient part. Lets say you had a relapse 3 months later. another 60K. That doesn't even count the outpatient therapy, drugs.
Can you really fund that all by yourself?
If you are letting insurance fund it -then you are not self funding the treatment. By definition, others are paying for your expensive treatments.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:10 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
It is too easy to get guns. It's too easy to get drugs as well. I dont really have a good solution.

What do other countries do ? it doesnt seem like mass shootings are an issue in other countries

Old 05-25-2022, 12:10 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Many/most of these shooters have functional, even loving families that they live with,
This is not a major factor in my research.

I'd put the bulk of blame on anger and rage
Anger caused by unrealistic expectations of
1-the opposite sex and sexuality
2-he kind of life they think they deserve to live
3-feeling unsuccessful in life and blaming other
4-bullying
also
1-clinical mental illness, untreated because of changes in our medical system
2- gun culture and violence worship
3- places on the dark web where this is considered normal and even to be praised.\
4-the price and ease of getting weapons and body armor
Fair enough, I agree with all of the above, except for the ease and price of firearms/armor. Firearms are legal, why should they be hard to get ? And they aren't exactly cheap. That is the problem though, they are legal, so anyone that can have them should, but how do we make sure that those that shouldn't have them not be able to get them. That is the dilemma.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Isn't part of the problem that most of these young men weren't identified or labeled mentally ill until AFTER their killing sprees.

Time and time again we hear the comments about how 'they were odd', 'loners', etc....said something scary, tweeted something odd.....but nobody ever followed up enough.

So having more mental health facilities, resources, etc. does what if we don't use the resources we already have.
Being 'odd', 'loners', making 'scary' tweets don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Lots of people don't fit in with social norms but that doesn't mean they will shoot up the school, mall, grocery, etc. Being 'odd', 'loners', etc. doesn't mean they have mental illness. I'm sure many thought I did in high school, in fact I have seen several well adjusted friends from high school have them while I maybe had a bout here or there but was able to get through without help. Doesn't mean everyone can though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies