Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 AM

9,428 posts, read 4,280,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Haven't you heard? The only logical answer is MORE guns! And this logic works for every issue! House have termites? Release more termites! These "good termites" will kill the bad ones! Basement flooded? Pour some water in there! It might force out some of the bad water! Is your house on fire? Try lighting another fire, it might block the first fire from spreading!
Gun laws obviously don't work either, so there's that. To use your stunningly stupid analogy, banning guns to stop killings would be like banning flooded basements to stop basement flooding. Enacting more laws/regulations/bans to solve problems is a simple-minded solution indicative of a child-like understanding of how the real world works.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Like it or not schools need armed security either in the form of cops, private security guards or have a couple train teachers armed. I am a teacher and have a conceal carry but I'm not allowed to legally bring my gun into school. It stays in my car in the parking lot. Doesn't do me or anyone else a whole lot of good.
It prevents you from shooting up the school, does it not?

Old 05-25-2022, 07:57 AM

4,334 posts, read 1,656,257 times
If Paxton wants guns in schools, then place sworn officers in schools, not just armed security, but sworn officers. Many School districts have their own police force, so provide enough money to districts to form their own small police forces. If you want guns in schools, then get the right people there. Don't arm teachers. That's not their job.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
If Paxton wants guns in schools, then place sworn officers in schools, not just armed security, but sworn officers. Many School districts have their own police force, so provide enough money to districts to form their own small police forces. If you want guns in schools, then get the right people there. Don't arm teachers. That's not their job.
What about those places that cannot afford a few police officers?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:02 AM

5,280 posts, read 5,210,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s the ONLY solution available to us.

There are 300 to 400 million weapons in private hands. About 40 million of those, maybe even more, are so called assault rifles.

It would take decades, and cost tens of thousands of lives, to go door to door in order to de-arm the public. Not to mention stop and frisk check points everywhere. Also, the border is wide open with weapons and drugs flowing freely on a daily basis.

So let’s stop with the nonsense of banning weapons.

A “good guy with a gun” is the only thing that can work (sometimes) against a bad guy with a gun.
It did not work in Buffalo...the "good guy w/ a gun", and former police officer was one of the 1st ones shot and killed...and good guys w/ a "gun" can do nothing if the assailant is wearing full body armor like this kid in TX or the kid in Buffalo.

I have 2 friends who are teachers...1 teaches at a local high school and the other teaches at a local middle school...neither one of them want to see any guns at their schools except for the resource officer.

If this country isn't going to do anything about these high capacity assault rifles which are only made to kill and are not used for hunting wild game, then maybe it's time to redesign our schools to make them much more hardened to enter...smaller windows in the classrooms w/ Bullet proof glass...Locking all doors once the school day starts and no longer allowing anyone to come in whatsoever...This nutjob just walked into this school it sounded like.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:04 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,227,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I agree with this.
If Texas tax payers want this, they should pay for it.
Putting guns in the hands of teachers is not to a good idea for a multiple of reasons.

It should be noted that the police were on site when the gunman entered the school. They had been chasing him in his car.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I agree with this.
If Texas tax payers want this, they should pay for it.
Putting guns in the hands of teachers is not to a good idea for a multiple of reasons.

It should be noted that the police were on site when the gunman entered the school. They had been chasing him in his car.
Why should you decide how a community other than your own chooses to protect its students?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:10 AM

5,280 posts, read 5,210,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly,
I wonder what could go wrong by arming underpaid and overworked teachers.

Just another BS attempt to say that guns are the solution.
What happens if that teacher w/ a gun snaps? Dealing w/ 25-30 kids a day can be quite stressful.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:10 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,227,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why should you decide how a community other than your own chooses to protect its students?
As a federal tax payer, I would not want the federal government to support this for states that do want it.
Pay for it yourself if it’s important to you.
But don’t cut corners where guns and likely death is concerned. A teacher will not be trained like a police officer.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly,
I wonder what could go wrong by arming underpaid and overworked teachers.

Just another BS attempt to say that guns are the solution.
Overworked? They have plenty of free time on their hands to groom students, to bring transvestites in for "story hours" and to help them alter their genders and hid it from their parents. Perhaps if they taught, rather than groomed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.