Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 06:24 AM

7,191 posts, read 3,401,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"As long as the voters are deeply addicted to voting in incumbents in Congress term after term"
I DON'T agree with your assessment!
i do and here is why: lobbyists, foreign influence, and big money in campaigns. these people are mostly bought and paid for, especially the media whores who are more cults of personality than effective representatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 06:42 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,594,261 times
Many Americans are hoping that in November the Red Tide in Congress will turn Blue, yet we are uncertain if the continual damage done to this country and people, many by illegal and unethical manners, will continue.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:32 AM

379 posts, read 149,088 times
I’m reading a book by Michael Franzese, “Mafia Democracy: How Our Republic Became a Mob Racket”, and it’s an eye opener. I already knew there was corruption in the government – anyone can see that. But he explains the specifics of it.

For example, dependence corruption. He talked about the House Financial Services Committee hearings in 2009 where the financial institution CEOs could testify on how they were spending all the bailout money they received from the taxpayers.

How the average citizen watching this on TV may have thought that, finally, our representatives would hold them accountable. Instead, they seemed almost deferential to these CEOs.

I knew nothing about the mafia, except what I saw in movies. I’m only halfway through the book, but already have gotten quite an education on how our government runs like a protection racket.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:01 AM

58,546 posts, read 26,876,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i do and here is why: lobbyists, foreign influence, and big money in campaigns. these people are mostly bought and paid for, especially the media whores who are more cults of personality than effective representatives
"than effective representatives"

The PEOPLE DECIDE if they are "effective" or not.

Not YOU!

It's called, "elections"!

Old 05-26-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepearl View Post
I’m reading a book by Michael Franzese, “Mafia Democracy: How Our Republic Became a Mob Racket”, and it’s an eye opener. I already knew there was corruption in the government – anyone can see that. But he explains the specifics of it.

For example, dependence corruption. He talked about the House Financial Services Committee hearings in 2009 where the financial institution CEOs could testify on how they were spending all the bailout money they received from the taxpayers.

How the average citizen watching this on TV may have thought that, finally, our representatives would hold them accountable. Instead, they seemed almost deferential to these CEOs.

I knew nothing about the mafia, except what I saw in movies. I’m only halfway through the book, but already have gotten quite an education on how our government runs like a protection racket.
"Mob Racket”, are NOT everywhere.

He may know about NYC/NJ, where he lived and other union run places, but NOT about every other city and state in the country.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 AM

31,342 posts, read 14,108,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Senate passes $40 billion Ukraine aid package

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3494...e-aid-package/

2 hours later...

Senate blocks $48 billion aid package for restaurants, other small businesses

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3494...ll-businesses/

They don't give 2 ****s about us.
They all profit from this proxy war and leave us out to dry.
Half of the country is too busy to notice... they are going to the malls, taking their credit cards out of their fanny pack, and buying sneakers with lights in them. --- George Carlin

Old 05-26-2022, 06:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
"than effective representatives"

The PEOPLE DECIDE if they are "effective" or not.

Not YOU!

It's called, "elections"!
Please tell me some of the significant changes that happen every time one party wins power?

Considering how different these two parties are, there should be MANY MANY changes that happen, when power shifts hands.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM

379 posts, read 149,088 times
Quote:
"Mob Racket”, are NOT everywhere.

He may know about NYC/NJ, where he lived and other union run places, but NOT about every other city and state in the country.
I was not very clear in my post.

He saw a lot of similarities in the way government operates and the way the mob operated on the street. He said – I can recognize Mafia-like behavior when I see it.

It’s about the pattern of this behavior among leaders of government. How the government uses those same tactics in relation to businesses and citizens (not every politician, of course, but so many)

In the example from my first post, the officials on the committee and the CEOs weren’t adversaries. They were partners. They relied on each other.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Please tell me some of the significant changes that happen every time one party wins power?

Considering how different these two parties are, there should be MANY MANY changes that happen, when power shifts hands.
"Please tell me some of the significant changes....."

I am NOT going to do your research for you.
You claim I am wrong, it is up to YOU to prove it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies