Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 10:46 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
"Best way" is easiest and cheapest way, for the Doc. But if you allow their gland to atrophy, they're dependent on these meds for life. When simple nutrition and other lifestyle changes can extend their Thyroid's life and their existence on this world drug free.

It's easy for a Doc to throw some pills at them instead of really diagnosing the issue.
I think Hoonose explained why it is easier and safer for the patient. You have any evidence for "simple nutrition and other lifestyle changes can extend their Thyroid's life", or did you just make that up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 10:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
I'm 55, born in 1967!
You are still in the healthy decades. Just wait. Health typically starts deteriorating for most in their 60s and 70s.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:49 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
"Best way" is easiest and cheapest way, for the Doc. But if you allow their gland to atrophy, they're dependent on these meds for life. When simple nutrition and other lifestyle changes can extend their Thyroid's life and their existence on this world drug free.

It's easy for a Doc to throw some pills at them instead of really diagnosing the issue.
Again, your lack of clinical experience is your downfall. This isn't the pancreas, heart or other more complicated and important organ. Thyroid atrophy is simply part of the aging process. And to have the patient come into the office every few months for monitoring the rest of their life is way over doing it. Over doing it in cost, complexity and patient inconvenience. Once the dose of thyroid is set, most patients only need a yearly check up along with simple and cheap labs. Little fuss, little bother, little cost and inconvenience. Thyroid pills might cost $30/yr.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:52 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:

I got those metal fillings, and after I removed them and replaced them with resin after blood tests revealed I had a lot of mercury in my blood. A few months after their removal, I felt generally better and to have more energy. What I assumed was normal aging was driven in part by mercury leaking into my blood from the fillings. After 1 year, my mercury levels dropped to normal.
I once knew this older gentleman who bought a charcoal filtration system for his tap water. Afterwards, he kept telling me, "ever since I put that filter on, I feel so much more energetic!" The power of suggestion is very strong in gullible people.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:

Hypothyroidism is frequently caused by an autoimmune disorder. Diet will not change that. Diet will not replace thyroid hormones when the thyroid has been removed surgically.

Feel free to live your life the way you want, but please do not presume to try and tell me how to live mine. I do my own research before discussing treatment with my doctor. Not once have I seen any credible evidence that diet alone will fix most common ailments. What I do see is conflicting statements that would result in not eating anything at all.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Hypothyroidism is frequently caused by an autoimmune disorder. Diet will not change that. Diet will not replace thyroid hormones when the thyroid has been removed surgically.

Feel free to live your life the way you want, but please do not presume to try and tell me how to live mine. I do my own research before discussing treatment with my doctor. Not once have I seen any credible evidence that diet alone will fix most common ailments. What I do see is conflicting statements that would result in not eating anything at all.

Good post. Especially that last sentence. I have felt that way many times when reading about diet recommendations for improving health.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Women disproportionately get diagnosed with Hypothyroidism than men. While all disorders accumulate, there is nothing unsafe about having low amounts of T4, natural remedies should be explored first before you accelerate their aging process. I for one wouldn't be on a pill for the rest of my life, cheap or otherwise.
I can almost guarantee that you will have your day.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
There are children with fatty livers because they live off nutty bars, pizza, and soda. Eating a calorie surplus that is carbohydrate based, especially if it's fructose, causes fatty buildup in the liver and pancreas, leading to metabolic syndrome.

Carbohydrates are also much more addicting and lead to extra consumption, especially when heavy in sugar or umami, the flavor that MSG gives Sun Chips and other chips, crackers, and refined frozen foods.

It's said around a third to half of americans are pre-diabetic. It's because of excess calorie consumption, especially combining carbohydrates and fats in the same meal.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, every dog has their day.

But to me life is one big experiment. 100 years ago, the elderly took all sorts of medicines to stay alive like the elderly do today. The only difference is none of those drugs (or basically none) are considered safe or effective today.

The same thing will happen 100 years from now. Docs will look back upon us as the generation of ignorance and harmful medical practices, like we look back at many practices 100 years ago.

So my experiment will be to not take these drugs, except for short term pleasure reasons (never to stay healthy) and see my result. After all, you fall apart on the drugs, and you fall apart off them.
The bottom line is not life span, but QOL late in life. And modern medications in so many cases provide that gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies