Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 12:10 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Of course, correlation isn’t necessarily causation. But the link in this case is evident, which is why there is a big black box warning people about them. SSRI’s cause violent reactions in non-violent people. That is a fact.

If 18 out of 20 mass shooters are on SSRI’s, examining the role of the brain altering medication is a better solution that trying to take guns away from tens of millions of law abiding citizens.

Furthermore, it is evident you didn’t read the article I linked. It is useless discussing the issue with you until you read the article.
Big Pharma....so many kids on drugs today so we don't talk about that.

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/a...-41-since-2015
Between April 2015 and April 2021, the number of unique patients aged 5–12 years prescribed antidepressants increased by 41%, from 1,299 to 1,831; of these patients, the majority were males (772 and 1,112, respectively).

And:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-gender-us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 12:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Big Pharma....so many kids on drugs today so we don't talk about that.

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/a...-41-since-2015
Between April 2015 and April 2021, the number of unique patients aged 5–12 years prescribed antidepressants increased by 41%, from 1,299 to 1,831; of these patients, the majority were males (772 and 1,112, respectively).

And:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-gender-us/
Excellent info and explains why this mostly involves young men. ADD/ADHD medicines should also be examined, which again are mostly prescribed to boys, and at young ages. (And yes I know some medicines are useful; I am not discounting that).

Why is our society failing our boys? That’s what we really need to look at.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:48 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
To me, the mass shooting incidents started at the Texas Tower shooting in 1965, which killed 14. The guy who did it had mental health issues.
And they were extremely rare after that, until 1999. Then they've ramped up since. Something changed drastically in our society to cause this.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Your point please ?

I don't think anyone here has stated that every mentally ill person wants to harm others.
No, but everyone wants to deny people their rights because of it. Why leave an entire population with no means to protect themselves from threats to their safety?

And people keep wanting to lump PTSD in with mental illness. It's a psychological injury. There's a difference between illness and injury. PTSD happens to a lot of abuse victims. So victims get stripped of the means to protect themselves from further abuse?

Old 05-25-2022, 01:09 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,692,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
screaming knee jerk reactions "more gun laws" isn't solving anything. It seems the left only wants to cure the symptom and not the cause
That doesn't answer my question... when are we going to do something serious about mental health, besides ***** about it every time there's a mass shooting?

Old 05-25-2022, 01:18 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Bullying on social media.

Happened to my neighbor across the street who was going to shoot up the local high school.

Luckily his friend called the police in time and stopped it. Story made world news
Bullying has always happened. I know that older people get a kick out of acting like it is so much worse because they can blame electronics which they generally hate but I dont see it as a bigger issue because of it. My daughter was involved in some stuff and the parents (and my wife) made a big deal out of it but she was totally fine. The bigger issue seems to be the home life of the girl who was responsible for the online transgressions.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:19 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And they were extremely rare after that, until 1999. Then they've ramped up since. Something changed drastically in our society to cause this.
A huge increase in antidepressants in children is a possible culprit.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:21 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
No, but everyone wants to deny people their rights because of it. Why leave an entire population with no means to protect themselves from threats to their safety?

And people keep wanting to lump PTSD in with mental illness. It's a psychological injury. There's a difference between illness and injury. PTSD happens to a lot of abuse victims. So victims get stripped of the means to protect themselves from further abuse?
I won't argue any of this.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:22 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
So what if they have greater access to electronics? How does that make a childhood more dangerous? That is simply a matter of older people associating new things with negativity. I enjoyed a relatively carefree childhood as did most children but there was plenty of bullying of various sorts, plenty. Now there is some online bullying but that is just a new wrinkle on an old problem not an indication of a greater problem. I look back at attitudes during my childhood regarding how children treated one another and the attitudes I see in my children today and they seem to have a much better attitude about it then what we did growing up.
Unfettered access to electronics is the problem. Parents are content to allow electronics to babysit their children, often because they can't put their phones down or turn off the TV long enough to engage their children.

Online bullying is vastly different than bullying someone to their face. I experienced an instance of being bullied in ninth grade and aside from me and the bully, no one remembers it. There are persistent online records, photos, etc. Maybe a few dozen people were aware of it at the time, but not the hundreds or thousands or more that would witness (and likely perpetuate it) today. When I finally had enough and stopped being a chicken****, I slammed a locker door in his face, kicked him in the balls, and took out a knee. He walked on crutches for 4 weeks. Problem solved. Few kids today have the luxury of facing their online abusers.

Growing up for a growing number of children over the 10-15 years is vastly different than that of previous generations. And we are seeing that manifested in their actions.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:24 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
For one thing, the article has hyperlinks that take you to studies conducted in multiple countries. I guess the language needs to be obscure for you to be impressed?

Think about what you are saying, geez.

YOU apparently want to take guns from many millions of people because of the tiny percentage of mass shooters.

Why is it OK to take away firearms but not extremely dangerous medication?
The studies were limited in scope (and also produced a variety of results) so as to make them relatively meaningless for this purpose. Sure, one can say that it is likely that SSRI's can cause some people to act violently. But there really isnt much more to be taken from that article than that.

I support constitutional carry and no licensing or registration for gun ownership. But just because I do not wish gun control to not be the target doesnt mean I will latch onto poor attempts to deflect from the matter. Yes, "mental health" is a problem but I am certainly not going to support locking people up who didnt commit a crime. Most people just say "mental health" is the issue simply to move the discussion away from gun control. But we also want government to have limited power so I am having trouble figuring out what the government is supposed to do about mental health to limit these shootings from happening. I am not saying I dont want the discussion to happen, I do. But I would like real ideas not just deflection attempts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies